A question I hope someone can answer.....

Reaction score
I see people talking about flying in the manual mode all the time....which, as i understand, can't be done unless you have advanced flight mode enabled. With advanced flight mode enabled you can choose: Manual, stabilize, acro, sport, and drift. None of these modes require gps lock except drift. My question: I can't really figure out how you can fly "normal" (just "fly" with stability and GPS lock) and program the A or B button to fly manual.....is that possible? Or fly in any of the advanced flight modes and have the A or B button programmed to fly normal...is that possible? It seems to me that either you are using one of the advanced flight modes or you have to disable advanced flight mode to fly normal. Maybe i'm missing something in my readings or understanding. Thoughts or comments please! Thanks much.

The FLY button will always bring you back to what I suppose you mean by "normal." If you go into the app and choose another mode, or if you program the buttons and press one to go to that mode, you can always get back to the standard FLY mode by pressing FLY (unless, that is, you do not have a GPS lock.)

Reactions: rrmccabe
Here's another question for those of you in the "know"...it came up in a thread I was reading yesterday....if you are flying along in manual mode or any of the advanced modes, except drift, (because that requires gps lock) and your solo acquires gps lock will it let you know audibly and is there any reaction to your flight path when this happens? Somebody had said his solo was doing strange things when solo acquired gps lock while in the manual mode.

I have yet to experience the manual-to-GPS lock issue. I recently started taking off in manual regularly and have noticed no problems when it acquires GPS lock. Last night I flew in manual the entire (short) flight while I was fighting a stiff wind. It had started to rain and I was trying to hustle home. Had it burped because of GPS lock (which it had), I certainly would have noticed.

Reactions: thetac
I'm guessing that under advances mode , you don't get return to home?

Note that if you don't let it GPS lock before takeoff, wherever it gets GPS lock becomes "home." Therefore, it is a good idea if you can't get lock on the ground, to take off in manual, gain some altitude, hover for a bit to get lock, then go about your merry way. That way, when you hit RTH, it will come back to a place you set.

guys, when you say ''GPS lock" you mean when the gps signal on the App goes from red to White, is this right?

guys, when you say ''GPS lock" you mean when the gps signal on the App goes from red to White, is this right?
I'm thinking that when it goes from red to white. It means your locked in with WIFI from the controller to the Solo.. But I could be wrong.?

Yes when the little satelite emblem goes from red to white....sometimes it takes only 6 satelites before lock and able to "fly"...sometimes i've seen mine take 8 before it would let me "fly"...this is in GPS flight mode (advanced settings off)....doesn't really have anything to do with the solo wifi. And yes John it will go to RTH when it loses the signal but like acro said above if you are flying manual (or any other advanced mode) and don't let it gain lock before taking off....when it does gain GPS lock (and it will as you are flying around) that will be the established RTH point...so if you lose signal flying in manual mode, it's not coming back to your takeoff point. Hope that makes sense

Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
I've flown in manual mode and then have GPS lock occur at a later time (while I'm flying).

Nothing strange happened! It's just that your 'home' point is wherever that GPS lock happened. It could be over trees, water, or where ever you were located when the lock happened.

Otherwise there is no danger to fly in manual mode and have GPS lock occur at sometime after take off.

NOTE: You can manually set the home point in Mission Planner. I don't know if Tower has this capability. Maybe a new version of Tower will have it, but I can't find the option in the current (non-beta) version of Tower.

Been flying the SOLO on St. Thomas VI. For some reason out on a boat no GPS LOCK. So changed to FLYING MANUAL mode it would not take off, props would not spin up and it kept saying LAND. I thought maybe because I was near an airport but it did the same thing at sea 8 miles away and out of the controlled airspace. It would never get GPS LOCK so my only option was FLY MANUAL. All 4 lights were GREEN and never any other color when this was occurring. Any clues here?

Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
Been flying the SOLO on St. Thomas VI. For some reason out on a boat no GPS LOCK. So changed to FLYING MANUAL mode it would not take off, props would not spin up and it kept saying LAND. I thought maybe because I was near an airport but it did the same thing at sea 8 miles away and out of the controlled airspace. It would never get GPS LOCK so my only option was FLY MANUAL. All 4 lights were GREEN and never any other color when this was occurring. Any clues here?
Intersting i wanna know also why, any idea @Burkeam

Could it be when your on a Boat..that are waves in the water that is rocking the boat..?? I would think that you would need the ground that the Solo is sitting on to be not moving to lock on the GPS..?

Reactions: erikgraham
Yes when the little satelite emblem goes from red to white....sometimes it takes only 6 satelites before lock and able to "fly"...sometimes i've seen mine take 8 before it would let me "fly"...this is in GPS flight mode (advanced settings off)....doesn't really have anything to do with the solo wifi. And yes John it will go to RTH when it loses the signal but like acro said above if you are flying manual (or any other advanced mode) and don't let it gain lock before taking off....when it does gain GPS lock (and it will as you are flying around) that will be the established RTH point...so if you lose signal flying in manual mode, it's not coming back to your takeoff point. Hope that makes sense
Thanks i didn't know that at all

Could it be when your on a Boat..that are waves in the water that is rocking the boat..?? I would think that you would need the ground that the Solo is sitting on to be not moving to lock on the GPS..?
This has been an issue not only with solo but other drone brans as well but lets see what 3DR software can do about it in the future

I'm pretty sure your Solo failed its pre-flight checks on a rocking boat. The IMUs/gyros were probably going crazy with the rocking of the waves. There is no way for it to establish level. "Boat" mode has been discussed. I *think* someone said its in the next arducopter release, but I could not find anything on github to support that (I didn't look very long).

Last edited:
Reactions: rrmccabe
OK. Found a few things. The most significant is this post from Chris Anderson (3DR CEO) on August 9:

"boat mode" coming soon! It will calibrate copter (and Solo gimbal) on moving vehicle. Dynamic home location (for moving platform) and GPS position-hold loiter optionally replaced by alt-hold, to ensure that the vehicle doesn't zoom "backwards" trying to hold a static position while you're on a moving vessel.

- http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/copter-3-3-beta-testing?commentId=705844:Comment:2066797
What I find interesting is that he references the Solo directly. The Solo arducopter code is a branch. I would expect a feature like this to hit arducopter first, but looks like it will be the other way around.

And here is a old github post - its old but it explains the issues pretty well:
https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/issues/1361

Unless it has changed, in a true manual mode without gps lock, should you lose control signal, it will go to land where it is.

So be aware if youre flying say a canyon or such in manual that if you lose control, its going to start drifting around and then just go straight down onto whats below it.

If you fly manual and lose control but have GPS it will RTH, and unfortunately on occasion with app crash in manual it will chose to RTH. which it should not do, considering you have control signal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986