Flight data overlay for Solo

Reaction score
Hi

Is there a way to overlay flight data onto the GoPro video shot during a flight?

I've seen this done for other drones, cannot seem to find anything for Solo.

Thanks!

Yes, using the free "Dashware" software from GoPro.

Here's a recent video with the overlay that I made. This was filmed using a Solo. Simple video, but it shows the flight data overlay:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes, using the free "Dashware" software from GoPro.

Here's a recent video with the overlay that I made. This was filmed using a Solo. Simple video, but it shows the flight data overlay:
Interesting- never heard of that!
I'm wondering if the OP is wanting the actual Solo info. such as HDOP, RSSI, sats, etc,?

I'm wondering if the OP is wanting the actual Solo info. such as HDOP, RSSI, sats, etc,?
Since this info is in the log files, it can be displayed with Dashware. It would just take some modification of the "gauges" used.

Reactions: Maddog
How do you get the log files?
You need to get the dataflash logs (.bin) from Solo, either with Mission Planner or SSH into Solo. Once you have the .bin log, use Mission Planner to convert to a GPX file. You can then use this GPX file with Dashware. With a little experimenting, you can also convert the .bin file to a .csv and use that file with Dashware. I found the GPX file easier.

There's other topics on this site about getting the dataflash .bin files from Solo. You don't want the .tlog files. I (eventually) plan to make a short video showing how to get the .bin files from Solo with SSH. This video shows how to connect to Solo with Mission Planner.

Reactions: 5r49cfu
Hey thanks a lot!

I need to get this running.

In the meantime, I'll try to find YouTube videos where they did them overlay.

Any links you guys have, I appreciate it.

I also think some of the videos you see on YouTube with with actual solo telemetry screen on it, are using a screen capture app. I'm not 100% if Apple has an app like that, but I know android does. Similar concept of running a screen capture on your computer. You start recording and everything that happens on your tablet screen is recorded to a video file.

Yes, I would like more detail including the map, GPS status, tilt angles, etc.

Garmin Virb imports GPX and combines with video...anyone get this working yet?

Last edited:
Ahhhh..... yes...... Read above.

Here's a sample:

Reactions: Maddog
Holy crap. I'd used it a long time ago for vehicle dash cameras. I never thought of using it for drone videos with Pixhawk logs. I will be having fun with this over the weekend!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela