How to extend range on the Solo

FPVLR sells the amp with the antenna kit... so one would assume they are properly attenuated. It's just an assumption - I don't own the product, but I've perused the website. As you point out, they are directional, but I think the angle is wide enough that there is a fair amount of wiggle room. I fly stock antennas because 1km is enough distance for me, and because I prefer omni directional. Having said that, I will likely get the fpvlrs at some point for cases where I need to "punch" through foliage more reliably. An issue I have with the fpvlrs is that it seems to me they should be matched on the drone itself, but people are getting very good results, so it's probably worth it.

The FPVLR antenna are matched but then again any antenna costing that much with that quality will always come through strict testing. Its the amplifier that is causing it to be not matched. Hence the output of the TX must be lowered without distorting its signal before it is fed into the amplifier.

Erik,
I agree that omni is great for most needs. I find the FPVLR to be great at punching through local interference. I believe some people are actually modding the bird for even more distance. All I can say is in a city with tons of interference, I could only get 900 feet and 300 feet of altitude with the stock antennas. I didn't expect the 1/2 mile distance that 3DR mentions in their ad. I AM a realist. I've had the Solo out to 4500 feet and an altitude of 800 feet in the city with the amplified FPVLR. The amplified Omni antennas that came with the amps got me 3000 feet at 500 foot altitude. I can say I'm happy with my bird.

Hi Danbo, thank you for responding sir.

There is a thread somewhere discussing the commands in the controller to raise/lower the tx power. People using the MikroTik WiFi cards to replace the stock cards were wanting to use the cards full transmitting power (800mW) but the Solo's controller was limiting the Tx power to match the stock transceiver. So you may not need attentuators to accomplish what you are after - potentially just a software parameter.

I understand you have a point to make, but I'm just not sure many (if any) here are having the problems you are describing with their boosted signals. They can go further and maintain a stronger signal before, and that's what they were after. So I don't think many people care if they are "matched" if they are getting their desired results with a straight up 3watt amplifier.

That is just it hanging on a thread of hope or luck. Imagine that instance when the noise level is higher in a very busy WiFi area where you normally don't fly or an area you frequently fly at but only when the WiFi traffic is low. What if?

Now I magine the potential when your set up is properly matched. Your communication integrity with your quad will be 3 times solid and 3 times the coverage. This is the point.

I would like to know where that link you are talking about and how it is done.

Thank you for that link sir. I
Hi Jun,
As a ham, I understand what you are trying to get but not sure it is overly relevant to this WiFi equipment in the Solo. Unlike DIY and general market antennas, the folks at FPVLR are dealing with fixed variables; such as Tx power (very low at ghz freq.), very short fixed length antenna leads, etc. Given manufacturer tolerances on a given installation, I'm sure they can maintain a consistent SWR value in a given range. Certainly well below where damage can occur.

Fly Safe..

Hi Jubair,
I fly in a high WiFi traffic causing me crashes with my planes so I added the amplifier not so much to go for distance but instead integrity of the signal to my plane. So I set-up my Taranis with a Sunhans amp last year but I was not so was successful with it until I met someone who told me to add an attenuator between the transmitter and the amplifier after I showed him my SWR reading of "33" which normally reads "0" without an amp. That was the turning point for my Taranis amplified set-up, after installing the attenuator I have never lost signal again with my plane to this date.

I bought my SOLO about 2 months ago and it would always RTH at the same areas where I would normally lose signal with the craft. The FPVLR V2 definitely made a good difference without an amp but I thought why not consider putting the same set-up on my SOLO transmitter as I did on my Taranis. My only dilemma is that the SOLO transmitter does not have a built in SWR meter hence, I am asking people in another thread how they achieve to match their boosted antenna set-up with their SOLO transmitter.

I have already tested the FPVLR antenna with my Taranis without an amp showing "0" on the SWR meter which means its a perfect match as it would with a stock antenna. I have also obviously tested the set-up with the amp only ("33") and with the attenuator to the amplifier ("0").

I am not concerned at the moment with the SOLO antenna as I am not going for distance. I am just curios if people are taking the time to match their amplified antenna set-up and how they are proving it before they slap on the amp like I did last year on my Taranis as an un-matched amplified antenna set-up is a disaster waiting to happen.IMG_4136.JPGIMG_4137.JPGIMG_4138.JPG

I've had excellent service from the Alpha antennas. They're just $20 and they fit in my Solo backpack (with minor modification) to allow them to stay connected to the controller. Trees would commonly eat my wifi signal for lunch but these help a great deal. As for range, I have achieved 5,200' with clear LOS at about 380' elevation. I'm sure everything was absolutely right for that moment; earth tilt, barometric pressure, sun spots, humidity, and I held my mouth just right. At any rate, for $20 it's hard to beat. Here's the amazon link if interested. I'm sticking with the Alphas.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Nerius
NO sir I am not assuming. No sir the amp does not come with an Attenuator or attenuated. Yes I have and yes I did.

I used my Taranis with a built in SWR meter. See link to thread below. How is your distance with the Sunhan WiFi Amp? | 3D Robotics Drone Forum .
Got it. Not trying to fight you, but this is the first time in this thread that you've directly and definitively stated that that the FPVLR kit does not include attenuators. Instead you referred to another thread regarding Sunhan amps, in which you also do not specifically address the FPVLR kit. Now that you've come out and said it, I'll take your word for it... especially since it's largely irrelevant for me as someone who typically flies close in using omnis.

I've had excellent service from the Alpha antennas. They're just $20 and they fit in my Solo backpack (with minor modification) to allow them to stay connected to the controller. Trees would commonly eat my wifi signal for lunch but these help a great deal. As for range, I have achieved 5,200' with clear LOS at about 380' elevation. I'm sure everything was absolutely right for that moment; earth tilt, barometric pressure, sun spots, humidity, and I held my mouth just right. At any rate, for $20 it's hard to beat. Here's the amazon link if interested. I'm sticking with the Alphas.

Forgive my newbie question but Alpha also offers this 10 dBi dual band antenna so I'm wondering if these would work even better: Amazon.com: Alfa APA-M25 dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz 10dBi high gain directional indoor panel antenna with RP-SMA connector (compare to Asus WL-ANT-157): Computers & Accessories

Hi Tony,
Thank you for chiming in. I am sure you have read my posts on both threads. While you say it is not not needed to use an attenuator between the SOLO transmitter and AMP the case is not the same with my testing of your antenna with the Sunhans amp on my Taranis. I needed to use an attenuator to get an SWR meter reading of "0."

Having said this, I am not questioning your claim Sir Tony as I know you have top notch equipment to test your antenna's ability as per your youtube videos. Unfortunately for me, the SOLO Transmitter as you know does not have a built-in SWR meter nor do I own an expensive stand alone SWR meter. Hence, I am using my Taranis transmitter as the next best equipment I have as a bench mark for testing your antenna and the Sunhans amp. I am very sure that you as a hobbyist can easily repeat my testing procedure with any Taranis radio. I believe your claim of 1.1:1 SWR reading without using and amplifier BUT my question is, wouldn't adding the attenuator inline below between the SOLO transmitter and amplifier give you the better and tighter 1:1 read out?
1pce SMA 2W male to female RF Coaxial Attenuator DC - 6.0GHz 3dB 50ohm

I have gone far with your antenna on its own with my Solo as per my video below but I want more signal integrity by using an "attenuator to the amplifier with you FPVLR Antenna." I await for your response Sir Tony.

Well I'm glad that question has been answered. Really, I love getting informed. As always......Tony is the man. You ROCK dude.

Reactions: FPVLR
Be careful! Using "tons of signal" is dangerous! Since e=mc^2, tons of signal will instantly turn the antennae (and everything else within a few miles) into superheated plasma, thus voiding the warranty, and probably worsening our public relations problem. <tongue firmly ensconced in cheek>
Yes, but the Worm Hole to distant galaxies greatly extends your Solo's range...is worth it!

Reactions: Joe Horn and Danbo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea