How to stream video

Reaction score
I have a 3DR Solo with OpenSolo 4.0 loaded. I can get video from my Gopro on the HDMI port but I do not see any streaming in Wireshark. Can it be done with existing equipment? Can mavlink be used to control the video feed and gimbal?

I have a 3DR Solo with OpenSolo 4.0 loaded. I can get video from my Gopro on the HDMI port but I do not see any streaming in Wireshark. Can it be done with existing equipment? Can mavlink be used to control the video feed and gimbal?
This is a long shot and may be useless to you in the 3DR Solo world. However... over in the (also shrinking) Parrot Anafi world it is not that difficult to live stream video starting with the output from the USB-A port on the rear of the SkyContoller3. Perhaps useful connectivity can be had from the HDMI port on the rear of the Solo controller. You can browse the Anafi pilots forum, however here's my notes about what I know works with the original Anafi 4K:

Use a USB-A hub with a USB-A-to-Ethernet adapter.
  1. Connect the input end of the hub to the USB-A socket on the SkyController3.
  2. Connect a short cable from the Android tablet to a USB-A socket on the hub.
  3. Connect a Cat-6 cable from the Ethernet adapter to the laptop.
  4. Power up the Anafi, the controller and the tablet.
  5. Open VLC Media Player on the laptop.
  6. Tools > Preferences > Input / Codecs
  7. Disable: Hardware-accelerated decoding.
  8. Save.
  9. Media > Open Network Stream
  10. Network tab > enter: rtsp://192.168.53.1/live
  11. Play
Watch live video with a slight lag.
"... the SkyController has a DHCP server and the streaming proxy can be accessed with rtsp://192.168.53.1/live."

Will NOT work with an iOS tablet/phone.

Alternative for broadcasting to Facebook or other social media platforms:
"Use a program called DU Recorder. Not sure if it is still free but you should be able to search for the APK file on the web if not on Google Play. Live feed to different social media platforms. Observers would need to log in to facebook or Youtube to monitor your flight. If no free local Wi-Fi is available, you would have to use a Data plan on a cellular device which could get expensive if you don't have unlimited."

Also consider ScreenShare (from Play Store) between the Android tablet and another Android tablet, Android TV or Google TV. I have not tried this approach.

Another Ref:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Other than the above and searching on this Solo site with "live streaming", that's all that I can offer. I rarely login to this site and just noticed your post.

I found out that Solex receives a video stream from the Solo without any extra hardware. We should be able to see that on a PC with VLC if we knew the stream address. does anyone know what that might be?

Reactions: Frank Foster

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig