Phantom 3 vs. Solo

It's not really that good of a comparison, it's written by an Inspire owner who's never owned 3DR gear, so has never used the software, never dealt with 3DR's customer service, never dealt with DJI's customer service outside the US either. As both a DJI owner and 3DR, I know myself there's a HUGE gap between the support services.

I had pointed out a number of flaws in the comparison, but it's wasted breath when someone doesn't know a product, the policies of the company who make it and more than likely at the outset will have decided which product he wanted to come out on top.

A few points for example, the Solo has a whole multitude of sensors, it's almost 3 of each, this means it will cost more money as you're getting almost 3 flight controllers worth of sensors in one copter. The optical flow will include a LIDAR rather than an inferior sonar sensor. These are just a few things you would consider if trying to do an unbiased review.

That's why I did the video to explain what was actually inside (technically there's even more still):

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Then there's the Arducopter software, which not only has many "cool" features but for someone like me, that's more interested in reliability, the features such as the GPS Glitch Protection and EKF help reassure me that it won't fly away and will take corrective action for a number of sensor failures, from the GPS to the compass, to the IMU.

If an IMU in a Phantom fails, it's crashing, simple as, if that happens in the Solo it will fail over to a secondary IMU so you can land successfully and without incident. These things make a difference, especially if you want to move towards commercial work.

Last edited:
I think the comparison was biased towards DJI as well but I have to agree with most his statements. I just think they are weighted differently than they should be.

I also think the Solo is not quite ready for market and hope what they ship me at the end of the month is stable and something they can build on. I will say I am not going to be happy if I spent $400 on a gimbal that is going to have to be replaced with something else.

I am reasonably sure that if Colin was not part of this venture I would have replaced my V+ with a P3. I still might if I cant do something to extend the distance on the Solo !

The Pixhawk is proven, it's not like it's new it's been flying over a year, likewise the code isn't new, the latest changes in 3.3 have been in test with real users for a month already (prior to that by developers), so you'd expect not to have flight issues. The unproven parts are the mobile applications and camera moves, so whilst still important, if there are any kinks to iron out you'd only expect them in this area of functionality.

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/copter-3-3-beta-testing

The only advantage I see that the P3 has over the Solo is the ability to use dual satellite networks. The should make it more precise when hovering and plotting waypoints. Other that that I don't see one advantage. All this talk about it flying over a mile is nice, but realistically if you are flying that far away, you are violating the FAA line of site rules anyway.

I also noticed that the video latency on the light bridge system seems to be slower that that of the Solo on paper.

one last note: I'm not concerned about getting a first run product that could have some kinks in it. I don't think they would make the money back/replacement guarantees on a product they were not confident would be rock solid.

Reactions: Adam kerr
OK just wanted to make sure I did not miss something :)

I do fly that far with my V+ and hope to stretch the solo out that far. But I live on an acreage about 1.5 miles from a lake and I can actually fly around fields, etc and see some cool stuff.

Thanks for response !

I also wonder if they will change verbiage. FCC "line of site" could be hundreds of miles

I do fly that far with my V+ and hope to stretch the solo out that far. But I live on an acreage about 1.5 miles from a lake and I can actually fly around fields, etc and see some cool stuff.

Thanks for response !

I also wonder if they will change verbiage. FCC "line of site" could be hundreds of miles
If line of site is hundreds of miles you need to be in the Guinness Book of World Records. LOL

They list line of site as able to see the drone with the nothing other than corrective lenses. At 1/2 mile away I can't see it at all. According to that rule, flying FOV only is a no no.

Here's a link to the strongly recommended guidlines :)
https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

Reactions: Volkhard
With radio communications "line of site" can be far beyond visual

Actually the FAA PDF on that website you linked said visual line of site. So guess that would cover it :)

PS: Here in Iowa we dont have any mountains to overcome the earth curvature and get hundreds of miles. Maybe 10. LOL

i have been on the fence for quite a while and still don't know which way to go.
found a soulition.
get one of each.

Reactions: Hayabusadrew
Whilst I already have a P2 H3-3D etc. I've placed an order for the SOLO. The reason behind that was I believe it can give me better video (in terms of dynamic shots). Full control of the GoPro is good but wasn't the magic bullet. The thing that decided it for me was the warranty. It was as simple as that.

It's easy to compare specs and come down in favour of one or another. I like my P2, I've got some really nice video out of it. However, for me, it's DJI's lack of support (especially in Europe) that's allowed me to not get caught up in the hype about the P3.

Either way, I'd really like everyone to enjoy their aircraft, irrespective of which one they go for.

Not much point comparing them at the moment. The devil will be in the type of content delivered from each, and the level of support customers receive from the respective manufacturers. I think (for me) that will be the telling comparison.

It's not really that good of a comparison...

A few points for example, the Solo has a whole multitude of sensors, it's almost 3 of each, this means it will cost more money as you're getting almost 3 flight controllers worth of sensors in one copter. The optical flow will include a LIDAR rather than an inferior sonar sensor. These are just a few things you would consider if trying to do an unbiased review.

Then there's the Arducopter software, which not only has many "cool" features but for someone like me, that's more interested in reliability, the features such as the GPS Glitch Protection and EKF help reassure me that it won't fly away and will take corrective action for a number of sensor failures, from the GPS to the compass, to the IMU.

If an IMU in a Phantom fails, it's crashing, simple as, if that happens in the Solo it will fail over to a secondary IMU so you can land successfully and without incident. These things make a difference, especially if you want to move towards commercial work.

Thanks for the video.

With all the added technology, if the Solo turns out to be highly reliable, it's well worth the extra spend. The P3 is already showing some early issues and the company is driven by a seriously arrogant CEO intent on just banging products out of the door...
Wang says he was a no-show at DJI’s April launch of its new Phantom 3 in New York because “the product was not as perfect” as he expected.

Check out this article.

I'm very keen to see how the Solo performs, no doubt I'll be grabbing one very soon.

I can relate that my new P2V+ crashed during an automated flight of not more than 1200 feet. I had it a month. No warranty through DJI, not a speck... Already my P3 I got yesterday has problems dropping the video signal at no more than 150 ft away. Other than that and the shortcomings of no waypoint flying, no Follow Me and no Orbit it's okay.

Had I known of the 3DR Solo I would have waited before buying the P3... The Solo seems like quite an aircraft... It'll be my next purchase.

It's not really that good of a comparison, it's written by an Inspire owner who's never owned 3DR gear, so has never used the software, never dealt with 3DR's customer service, never dealt with DJI's customer service outside the US either. As both a DJI owner and 3DR, I know myself there's a HUGE gap between the support services.

I had pointed out a number of flaws in the comparison, but it's wasted breath when someone doesn't know a product, the policies of the company who make it and more than likely at the outset will have decided which product he wanted to come out on top.

That's why I did the video to explain what was actually inside (technically there's even more still):

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Exactly. Sometimes quality is not obvious, and the points you make are good. DJI (in my opinion) goes more for externals than 3DR. So far I've owned 3 DJI units, and nothing to this point from 3DR, but my next may be a Solo. I've just invested in upgrading my Hero 4 bl to a 5.4mm lens, so that would lean me toward the Solo. I plan to wait and see what people experience. My ultimate concern is what is the best video/still platform for me.

Thanks for the video.

With all the added technology, if the Solo turns out to be highly reliable, it's well worth the extra spend. The P3 is already showing some early issues and the company is driven by a seriously arrogant CEO intent on just banging products out of the door...

Check out this article.

I'm very keen to see how the Solo performs, no doubt I'll be grabbing one very soon.
+1 on all that.

Whilst I already have a P2 H3-3D etc. I've placed an order for the SOLO. The reason behind that was I believe it can give me better video (in terms of dynamic shots). Full control of the GoPro is good but wasn't the magic bullet. The thing that decided it for me was the warranty. It was as simple as that.

It's easy to compare specs and come down in favour of one or another. I like my P2, I've got some really nice video out of it. However, for me, it's DJI's lack of support (especially in Europe) that's allowed me to not get caught up in the hype about the P3.

Either way, I'd really like everyone to enjoy their aircraft, irrespective of which one they go for.

Not much point comparing them at the moment. The devil will be in the type of content delivered from each, and the level of support customers receive from the respective manufacturers. I think (for me) that will be the telling comparison.
Looking forward to seeing your videos. I also currently have a P2 (version 2) and I just am in the process of upgrading my GoPro to a 5.4mm lens. Good video is also my prime motive (along with good stills)

Thanks for response !

Didn't I see on one of your posts somewhere that you fly really far (like over 5ks)?
I assume you have good a good tracker?
I just ordered an antenna kit for my Taranis from FPVLR, that will boost my range by a lot. I already have their kit for my FPV, and it is fantastic.

Looking forward to seeing your videos. I also currently have a P2 (version 2) and I just am in the process of upgrading my GoPro to a 5.4mm lens. Good video is also my prime motive (along with good stills)

am thinking about changing my Hero 3+ Black to the 5.4 lens. It's finding the right one or the right company to help. I'm tempted by the 4 but think that there's going to be something different with the 5. That'll no doubt be here in Oct/Nov

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc