Prop Balancer?

Has anybody use the scotch tape to balance Prop.?
I just ordered prop balancer and the Rod for the solo prop..just like some input on the Pros and Cons on using scotch tape .

Should Scotch tape be applied to the top, or to the bottom, of the blades? Or doesn't it matter?

I applied it to the blades. You'll apply a small piece of tape to the lighter end.

I think it would be more clear to a lot of us if anybody can post pictures on where People put the tap on there props ..

Just a thought..

I think it would be more clear to a lot of us if anybody can post pictures on where People put the tap on there props ..

Just a thought..
Right! Top? Bottom? Leading Edge? Trailing Edge? Centered? Does it even matter? LOL

I use this guy's technique:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Right! Top? Bottom? Leading Edge? Trailing Edge? Centered? Does it even matter? LOL
That's what I'm trying to find out...does it matter where you put the tape..I'm concerned putting it on the wrong spot and creating air flow problems..?? Or does it matter at all where you put it..?

how important is it to balance the propellers? Are Solo's props that bad from factory that all of them need balance or we can use them the way they come?

thank You

Well I just ordered a prop balancer because I'm getting footage like this without the gimbal...hopefully balancing the props will minimize the amount of vibrations I'm currently experiencing. This was my first real flight. I used manual mode in a park to test things out for the first time and the video is pretty terrible.

Well I just ordered a prop balancer because I'm getting footage like this without the gimbal...hopefully balancing the props will minimize the amount of vibrations I'm currently experiencing. This was my first real flight. I used manual mode in a park to test things out for the first time and the video is pretty terrible.
Definitely have vibrations. Balancing props is a good start. The DuBro is the mainstay. You also need the 3DR rod...

http://www.amazon.com/EJH-Precision...pebp=1441089920304&perid=14CDG5T538B4ZZRBX2F0

Not sure what settings you were shooting with but the ND filters slow the shutter speed on GoPros and help eliminate the "jello" you are seeing, though settings can have an effect also.

And last but not least, there are vibration analysers you can use to see if you have an ugly motor. I use iSeismometer for IOS. Take off the props. Put a piece of double sided tape on the back of your phone and stick it sideways right to each arm of the Solo at the flat part of the motor pod, one at a time. Put the Solo in Manual, and start the motors to idle, then midway, then full throttle. , Compare readings to see if you have a particulaur motor that is causing vibrations.

This is actually a good excercise, to get it tuned up and ready for the gimbal. That way when you get it it will sing.

I was reading a blurb about this on the arducopter wiki site. I believe Mission Planner has something similar for motor tuning. I forget how it measures vibrations....don't think they strap a laptop to the arms...:eek: I wonder if they have anything in Android variety for doing this Earl?

common-Vibration Damping | Copter

Flamewheel330SuspMount.jpg

how important is it to balance the propellers? Are Solo's props that bad from factory that all of them need balance or we can use them the way they come?

thank You
At the moment it is important, the initial batches I reckon aren't that well balanced, my understanding is there are efforts to improve this.

From an aerodynamics standpoint, it would seem like you would want to put the tape on the underside of the blades. With higher pressure and lower relative velocity there, it will have less of an impact. There is also a greater chance of boundary layer separation on the upper side which would cause a large reduction in lift on that area of the blade.

The best method is certainly to gently sand the underside of the blade - you're not likely to upset the airflow that way.

From an aerodynamics standpoint, it would seem like you would want to put the tape on the underside of the blades. With higher pressure and lower relative velocity there, it will have less of an impact. There is also a greater chance of boundary layer separation on the upper side which would cause a large reduction in lift on that area of the blade.

The best method is certainly to gently sand the underside of the blade - you're not likely to upset the airflow that way.
This is VERY Important!. I can't begin to count the number of times over the years I have seen props balanced incorrectly. Most YouTube videos, hobbyists sites and even in this thread have people using tape, globs of CY glue, etc.. which is not the correct method for truly balanced props. Remember that balancing a prop for blade and center hub weight balance is just one part of the equation to eliminate vibration . You must also ensure the prop remains aerodynamically efficient. Adding tape, globs of glue etc is not going to cut it.

This is VERY Important!. I can't begin to count the number of times over the years I have seen props balanced incorrectly. Most YouTube videos, hobbyists sites and even in this thread have people using tape, globs of CY glue, etc.. which is not the correct method for truly balanced props. Remember that balancing a prop for blade and center hub weight balance is just one part of the equation to eliminate vibration . You must also ensure the prop remains aerodynamically efficient. Adding tape, globs of glue etc is not going to cut it.
Agreed, and is why I have always preferred sanding, bottom side. Goes back to when we had to finish our own nitro heli blades 30 years ago.

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421