Recalibrate Sticks (How-To)

Hi,

I recently had a problem with my Solo losing connection with the controller and RTH at altitudes and distances that varied throughout a single flight. Sometimes I was 400ft away and other times I was only 25ft away. I sent my logs into 3DR and they said I needed to calibrate my sticks.

Here are the instructions on how to complete the calibration.

Sticks Calibration - For Mac
Sticks Calibration - For Windows
Thanks for posting Dodge. Did it work for your situation?

Thanks for posting Dodge. Did it work for your situation?

Oddly enough I just got back from a quick test flight. My initial report is that it DID fix the issue I was experiencing. I was flying in a completely new location so tonight I'll try to fly in one of the places where I was previously experiencing the connection issues.

When I first went out I slapped these antenna on there and got out to about: Altitude 150' Distance 1000'. I lost connection with the controller, but I think I was flying close to a cell tower and RTH kicked in. I put the stock antenna on and went in the other direction: Altitude 225' Distance 1200' I initiated RTH as 1200' was an indication to me that the problem was resolved.

Oddly enough I just got back from a quick test flight. My initial report is that it DID fix the issue I was experiencing. I was flying in a completely new location so tonight I'll try to fly in one of the places where I was previously experiencing the connection issues.

When I first went out I slapped these antenna on there and got out to about: Altitude 150' Distance 1000'. I lost connection with the controller, but I think I was flying close to a cell tower and RTH kicked in. I put the stock antenna on and went in the other direction: Altitude 225' Distance 1200' I initiated RTH as 1200' was an indication to me that the problem was resolved.

I'm glad to hear the stick calibration potentially fixed your problem. I hope you turned off your transmitter before switching antenna.

Reactions: DodgeP
Hi,

I recently had a problem with my Solo losing connection with the controller and RTH at altitudes and distances that varied throughout a single flight. Sometimes I was 400ft away and other times I was only 25ft away. I sent my logs into 3DR and they said I needed to calibrate my sticks.

Fantastic. Thanks Dodge!

2nd confirmation that the sticks calibration did fix the problem I was having with Solo.

Reactions: Flyivan
2nd confirmation that the sticks calibration did fix the problem I was having with Solo.
Hopefully an app will be coming out. It would be easy for someone to mess things up with Putty.

Hopefully an app will be coming out. It would be easy for someone to mess things up with Putty.

lol.. a little Linux ain't never hurt nobody!! For a windows user the hardest part is installing and running Putty. Everything else is data entry and stick jiggle'n.. lmao

Reactions: Raybro and rrmccabe
Doesn't make sense to me.

Why would a stick calibration affect the quality of the rf link?

Oh well, this is software after all, must be a strange bug!

Reactions: Flyivan
I was 384 feet up and about 80 feet out in front of me. Lost control of signal and freaked me out. Recovered signal after 3 seconds then controller said "Looking for Solo" for about 15 seconds.
I was trying to lower altitude the whole time then RTH triggered and I let it land.
Sent my logs in. Looks like they are getting lots of logs flooding in.

I was flying in a wide open RC field.
My feed was solid the entire time until the lost signal.
Stock antennae pointed down and out 20degrees as suggested and Im on new firmware.

Luckily it seemed it control the whole time, but in a real world scenario with more people around, trying to capture an event or shooting a video for a client, I cannot have this happen again.

I know some people had the rth triggered then pushed the quad further despite that (after regaining control manually) but I had controller signal lost error which is disconcerting and I wasnt trying to push it after that.

I was 384 feet up and about 80 feet out in front of me. Lost control of signal and freaked me out. Recovered signal after 3 seconds then controller said "Looking for Solo" for about 15 seconds.
I was trying to lower altitude the whole time then RTH triggered and I let it land.
Sent my logs in. Looks like they are getting lots of logs flooding in.

I was flying in a wide open RC field.
My feed was solid the entire time until the lost signal.
Stock antennae pointed down and out 20degrees as suggested and Im on new firmware.

Luckily it seemed it control the whole time, but in a real world scenario with more people around, trying to capture an event or shooting a video for a client, I cannot have this happen again.

I know some people had the rth triggered then pushed the quad further despite that (after regaining control manually) but I had controller signal lost error which is disconcerting and I wasnt trying to push it after that.
Next time you are out take a look at your RSSI values. See what they are about 20' up and 30' away. Should be -50 or better.

Question...

If you have a desktop pc but.. no wifi
and only a android tablet Wifi you can't calibrate ?
because only PC/MAC/WIFI right ?
So no android Shell or Apps where i can calibrate like these
softwares can do

P

Reactions: Flyivan and DocBr
Question...

If you have a desktop pc but.. no wifi
and only a android tablet Wifi you can't calibrate ?
because only PC/MAC/WIFI right ?
So no android Shell or Apps where i can calibrate like these
softwares can do

P

You could try Mobile SSH, ConnectBot or BusyBox for android.

Reactions: DocBr and ProStock
Thanks for this tip. I was struggling with these disconnects between the Solo and the Controller myself for the last week or so. Even did a factory reset on Solo and Controller. I followed the recipe that you wrote up and hope to go back to the open field where I experienced the connection issues tomorrow morning. I will report back whether I think the problem is gone.

Jim

Thanks for this tip. I was struggling with these disconnects between the Solo and the Controller myself for the last week or so. Even did a factory reset on Solo and Controller. I followed the recipe that you wrote up and hope to go back to the open field where I experienced the connection issues tomorrow morning. I will report back whether I think the problem is gone.

Jim

Hope it works for you like it did for me.

I just flew 2 batteries worth of Solo flight and I had one Controller disconnect for the first battery (and the resulting RTH) but then none on the second. This was after the Stick re-calibration that I performed last evening. So for me the condition is MUCH improved. The RSSI was about -50db so that's a fairly strong signal. I will have to try a few more trial runs to see if my stick calibration is 100% effective. This first case suggests it's not 100%.

I just flew 2 batteries worth of Solo flight and I had one Controller disconnect for the first battery (and the resulting RTH) but then none on the second. This was after the Stick re-calibration that I performed last evening. So for me the condition is MUCH improved. The RSSI was about -50db so that's a fairly strong signal. I will have to try a few more trial runs to see if my stick calibration is 100% effective. This first case suggests it's not 100%.

How far out were you when the disconnect happened? Just curious. I mean of course I lost connection again but that was at about 1200' which is normal for the area I was flying in.

The disconnect was at around 120 feet in distance and altitude of less than 100 feet. But I did not feel the controller vibrate and just saw the RTH overlay on the app screen after the message about controller disconnect on the app too. I meant to press Pause this time but didn't -- I let the RTH come to a conclusion. The battery still had some time left and I flew some more on the first battery and nothing bad happened. No problems on the entire second battery.

Hi,

Did they just casually hand you root access to your device?! Are there any sites/forums you know of with discussions of hacking/customizing the system?

It's been a while but I still know my way around Unix fairly well and can't wait to go snooping around in there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela