Solex: New App just for Solo!

Reaction score
ATTENTION​
New Sticky created for Solex. All New Posting should be created here:

I think all the features that lacking in the android ver. Now available via third party.
Check it out...
solex.JPG
Use this app with your 3DR Solo to get extra features.
* The Smart Shots you know:

- Orbit
- Selfie
- Cable Cam
- Zipline

Plus 2 new Follow modes:

- Manual (point to follow object)
- Record (record a track, and follow the recorded track)

* Auto-fly to the start of cable cams and recorded flights

* Geofences: Keep your Solo within a confined area to fly safely.

* Home Pointer: Points the way home to make navigation back to launch easy
* Return To Me: Have Solo track your location as you move around, and fly to you on RTL.
* Distance Fence: Avoid flyaways with Max Distance.
* Widgets:
- Pitch/Roll
- Vibration
* Sharing: Share Cable Cams, Geofences, recorded flight tracks, etc with others.

Sticky for Solex. a place for updates, talk & questions answered by creator @Kelly Schrock . -----.>Link Solex for Solo

Last edited:
He seems to be a Do'er...wondering if he's up to add the new GoPro setting?
Love the interface! & Features. Fence, Home indicator....& more!
Looking for feed back on this one....
He just answered my question about the new features of GoPro & said He is going to be looking in to it ASAP. So andriod people Can have there Cake & Eat it too! LOL
Nice guy...

Reactions: SARDG
He seems to be a Do'er...wondering if he's up to add the new GoPro setting?
Love the interface! & Features. Fence, Home indicator....& more!
Looking for feed back on this one....
Ooo... normally, I'm up for any stupid SW that comes along, BUT, this is 30 bucks - and new to the scene. And folks always say - beware of version 1 of anything. At least this is V 1.0.1.

Someone here try it out and get back to us. :)

Reactions: prowler9
Says Designed for phones. Occasionally, phone apps don't work on tablets in the Android world.

I purchased this program this morning. I have been following his development of this SW on FB for some time. He is very good and fast with fixes as needed. In fact, he pushed 2 updates overnight that fixed issues with device compatibility and sign on. Has several new features coming soon, including object tracking. He is also looking at adding the new GP settings just released. I know $30 may be expensive for some, but I encourage those that can to support him. It is this kind of 3rd party development we have all been asking for. And you certainly will never see the rapid updates like this from 3DR. There is a lot of work in an application like this, and I would like to see him rewarded for it. As of now, the Smart Shots include: ORBIT, SELFIE, FOLLOW Manual, FOLLOW/REcord, ZIPLINE & CABLE CAM. He Also has GEOFENCE with multiple points and Return To Me. Geofences can be saved and recalled for repeat use. He also has an option to FLY to a saved Cable Cam start point, instead of manually flying to line up the start.

As with ANY new SW, expect a few bugs here and there. But fixes will be much quicker.. In addition, this SW DOES NOT require/rely on 3DR Services. This too will allow for quicker updates as it does not need matching updates from 3DR services.

Last edited:
Think so, panorama is needed if you want to succed!

I purchased this program this morning. I have been following his development of this SW on FB for some time. He is very good and fast with fixes as needed. In fact, he pushed 2 updates overnight that fixed issues...
That's impressive...

In the meantime, Phu has delayed yesterday's next release of 2.4.X beta because "there was a problem with cable-cam". 3DR may be happier to divest themselves from Solo App updates anyway.

I'm pretty sure 2.4 will be the last major release with new functionality anyway. All the signs are there. Maybe minor updates and bugfixes, but I think its feature set is complete in 3DRs eyes. They're on to enterprise now, fired most of the team who brought us to where we are, and you don't need most of whats in the solo app for enterprise mapping. Actually, probably none of it. They've got to be getting pretty low on the existing inventory, so its not like they are going to have a ton of new customers that they have to appease. The writing has been on the wall for quite awhile and they have progressively been winding down since last summer.

You can thank Vu Tran for the android 2.4 update. They weren't even going to do it until the stuff hit the fan on FB. Vu fought for us (after a major calling out by Phillip Rowse) and 3dr decided to do the android update, after they already fired the main person working on android (Fredia - who is also the Tower author) along with MANY others. It's taking longer than expected (its never taken 2 months to do an update for just android before), and it's still not complete, but I don't see him being able to pull that off again with management. There is no money to be made for them creating new functions for us, and they are pretty broke. They announced that they don't even have the manpower to implement the new gopro settings in the app, which should be fairly trivial to implement if it's just a gopro api.

Last edited:
Sadly, I think your are right and that may be a wonderfull opportunity for Solex if they integrate new GoPro settings and panarama.

Reactions: DJ Wes
Sadly, I think your are right and that may be a wonderfull opportunity for Solex if they integrate new GoPro settings and panarama.
To be fair, I don't think we know for sure yet if those new settings are in the actual gopro API, which no one but gopro can control. If gopro didn't include them in the API, then no one will be able to control the new features via a 3rd party app using the hero bus (the thing the gimbal plugs into on the back of the gopro for external control)

I'm pretty sure 2.4 will be the last major release with new functionality anyway. All the signs are there. Maybe minor updates and bugfixes, but I think its feature set is complete in 3DRs eyes. They're on to enterprise now, fired most of the team who brought us to where we are, and you don't need most of whats in the solo app for enterprise mapping. Actually, probably none of it. They've got to be getting pretty low on the existing inventory, so its not like they are going to have a ton of new customers that they have to appease. The writing has been on the wall for quite awhile and they have progressively been winding down since last summer.

You can thank Vu Tran for the android 2.4 update. They weren't even going to do it until the stuff hit the fan on FB. Vu fought for us (after a major calling out by Phillip Rowse) and 3dr decided to do the android update, after they already fired the main person working on android (Fredia - who is also the Tower author) along with MANY others. It's taking longer than expected (its never taken 2 months to do an update for just android before), and it's still not complete, but I don't see him being able to pull that off again with management. There is no money to be made for them creating new functions for us, and they are pretty broke. They announced that they don't even have the manpower to implement the new gopro settings in the app, which should be fairly trivial to implement if it's just a gopro api.

Last edited:
No, I'm saying I believe the consumer solo is winding down. They are putting all of their money and resources into Enterprise, and have gotten rid of just about everything that doesn't directly have to do with Enterprise.

I think all the features that lacking in the android ver. Now available via third party.
Check it out...
Use this app with your 3DR Solo to get extra features.
* The Smart Shots you know:

- Orbit
- Selfie
- Cable Cam
- Zipline

Plus 2 new Follow modes:

- Manual (point to follow object)
- Record (record a track, and follow the recorded track)

* Auto-fly to the start of cable cams and recorded flights

* Geofences: Keep your Solo within a confined area to fly safely.

* Home Pointer: Points the way home to make navigation back to launch easy
* Return To Me: Have Solo track your location as you move around, and fly to you on RTL.
* Distance Fence: Avoid flyaways with Max Distance.
* Widgets:
- Pitch/Roll
- Vibration
* Sharing: Share Cable Cams, Geofences, recorded flight tracks, etc with others.

WHAT'S NEW
Make the screen-size filtering not so strict
is this app out for IOS?

Reactions: Eye in the Sky
I used it briefly on a real estate shoot. I used the cable cam and zip line, both worked as expected. Video feed was great throughout. He also has a 'Telemetry' feed that is interesting. It shows a traditional artificial horizon and also X,Y &Z indicators for vibrations levels. The battery shows not only voltage and %remaining, but an estimate of flight time.

Reactions: bjswx

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc