Solo Prop Sound Test; APC, Stock & Graupner

Reaction score
After some earlier comments regarding the sound level of different props, I thought I would test 3 different types that I have on hand. I generated an audio file only so that you could concentrate on the sound. The weather was lousy, so I did the recording in my office. The test were back to back and were performed by putting the Solo in Manual mode and lifting about 5' in a hover for a few seconds and landed. Each test was only about a minute apart and the recording device was not moved between flights. I only edited out the dead spots between flights.

The first flight you will hear are the Graupner 10x5 E-Props, which I felt were the loudest. The next flight you were hear are the new APC props for the Solo released last week or so. I thought they were the best sounding. Not a lot of difference with the stock Solo props, but seemed to be softer and not as shrill. The last flight was stock Solo props. All props were balanced. NOTE.. These are on the Tiger motors.

In order... GRAUPNER....APC....STOCK...

Let me know what you think...

Last edited:
Sounds about right! I like the APC props. They sound... well... smooth.

click back and forth through the audio clip. Props 1 were the highest pitch. The APCs second and the stock ones were close to the graupners.! What I want to know is how the APCs fly compared to Stock. do you have a scale? how do they weigh in to the stock props? I had the APCs on my Phantom 1 back in the day and loved them! :)

click back and forth through the audio clip. Props 1 were the highest pitch. The APCs second and the stock ones were close to the graupners.! What I want to know is how the APCs fly compared to Stock. do you have a scale? how do they weigh in to the stock props? I had the APCs on my Phantom 1 back in the day and loved them! :)
Haven't got to fly them much due to weather. But flew the around some in my office. I liked the sound better and Solo flew well with them. So far, I would say close to the stock props. Not sure about any efficiency difference, though Roland's bench tests show the stock props to be tough to beat.

since I am grounded I spent the day balancing some new props,
one thing that seems so whacked out on solo is prop consistency. Some were almost balanced right out of the box, some just could never be fully balanced.
So I went and looked the new APC solo props.
What does this mean

Caution: Not intended for use with systems that use active motor breaking
Doesn't Solo air brake?

After some earlier comments regarding the sound level of different props, I thought I would test 3 different types that I have on hand. I generated an audio file only so that you could concentrate on the sound. The weather was lousy, so I did the recording in my office. The test were back to back and were performed by putting the Solo in Manual mode and lifting about 5' in a hover for a few seconds and landed. Each test was only about a minute apart and the recording device was not moved between flights. I only edited out the dead spots between flights.

The first flight you will hear are the Graupner 10x5 E-Props, which I felt were the loudest. The next flight you were hear are the new APC props for the Solo released last week or so. I thought they were the best sounding. Not a lot of difference with the stock Solo props, but seemed to be softer and not as shrill. The last flight was stock Solo props. All props were balanced. NOTE.. These are on the Tiger motors.

In order... GRAUPNER....APC....STOCK...

Let me know what you think...
very considerit of you Jubalr.
Was wondering the differences in sound of the said props.

The only thing one can do more, is run the same wav file them thur a sound analyzing wave form, to see the difference also.
I bet the Solo props with register the highest?

Thanks again

one thing that seems so whacked out on solo is prop consistency. Some were almost balanced right out of the box, some just could never be fully balanced.
What does this mean

Doesn't Solo air brake?
No. Braking motors can't use ST props as they would un-thread and fly off. The new APC props attach the same as stock. No Worries..

very considerit of you Jubalr.
Was wondering the differences in sound of the said props.

The only thing one can do more, is run the same wav file them thur a sound analyzing wave form, to see the difference also.
I bet the Solo props with register the highest?

Thanks again
I actually did a brief analyze, but without getting into it deeper, didn't see a huge difference in wave forms.

What does this mean

Doesn't Solo air brake?
Its the balancing shaft @pyrate , a different shaft will give a different result
I'd pay someone to machine a hole through the hub so i could balance these accurately, i cant fit 10" props on my lathe

Haven't got to fly them much due to weather. But flew the around some in my office. I liked the sound better and Solo flew well with them. So far, I would say close to the stock props. Not sure about any efficiency difference, though Roland's bench tests show the stock props to be tough to beat.
The APC are definitely quieter in forward flight as well.

Well that was interesting....real world test between the three props. Even though the Graupner's have a steeper pitch it sounded as though you were giving it more throttle, all things being the same...alt and movements.

Flying with the APC's daily now, much quieter in a hover and like Roland, forward flight is quieter. Roll is about the same as stock, which I don't understand. I like the new motor and prop combo.

Reactions: RolandS888
Yes the graupner need to run faster as they produce less thrust. They are an E-prop not a multirotor prop.

Reactions: RichWest
Better use the Graupner 11" eprops. The 10" are too small.
With the 11" I get about 10% more flight time compared to stock.

If you want to max out efficiency (and your wallet ) go for the 11" Tiger Motor carbon props. They are #1 in performance

Better use the Graupner 11" eprops. The 10" are too small.
With the 11" I get about 10% more flight time compared to stock.

If you want to max out efficiency (and your wallet ) go for the 11" Tiger Motor carbon props. They are #1 in performance
Just depends what the priority is, flight time or control. One compromises the other.

I ordered mine on a Friday and got them next Tuesday. Pretty quick.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea