Tower and Mapbox

Reaction score
Since I got my Solo I have spent a little time trying to get Mapbox working on Tower. No joy. From what I can tell Mapbox has gone thru some changes from the version that used "projects" to the version that now uses "styles". There doesn't seem to be a Map ID anymore. Has anyone been able to get the current online version of MapBox to work with Tower?? Or is there an easier way to preload images?? I'm probably messing something up. Arg...

Peter

Have you checked this YouTube?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It doesn't follow exactly what you actually see online at the Mapbox site, but it got me through the process - which is NOT intuitive.

Ok, figured out Mapbox for Tower. Mapbox has change since the above video was created. Mapbox Studio Classic styles and projects are still supported (for now it seems), but getting to the editor is a bit twisted.

1. From the main Mapbox screen select Studio from the Top menu, at the far right.
2. From the left vertical menu select Classic.
3. Then under Working with Mapbox Studio Classic styles and projects find and select the Map Box Editor link. This opens of the page that allows you to create and save you Mapbox project that is compatible with Tower. Now one can continue with the above video at the 1:40 mark.

So all is good...

Reactions: SARDG
Ok, figured out Mapbox for Tower. Mapbox has change since the above video was created. Mapbox Studio Classic styles and projects are still supported (for now it seems), but getting to the editor is a bit twisted.

1. From the main Mapbox screen select Studio from the Top menu, at the far right.
2. From the left vertical menu select Classic.
3. Then under Working with Mapbox Studio Classic styles and projects find and select the Map Box Editor link. This opens of the page that allows you to create and save you Mapbox project that is compatible with Tower. Now one can continue with the above video at the 1:40 mark.

So all is good...
Yes, thanks for outlining that... I knew the YT was somewhat different, but like you, I worked my way through it.

Reactions: Brendon Baddiley
Has anyone been able to make a make a map with more than just imagery?

I have been able to get the imagery to work with tower but I can't get mapbox to upload any KML's or geojson's. I am trying to fly some missions in a remote area that doesn't really have land marks and it would be really helpful if I could include my mission boundaries in with the basemap imagery instead of just having to guess.

Thanks!

i have created maps with geojson data that shows up in tower. before you had to use mapbox classic (desktop), but it looks like the new datasets/tilesets work as well. i just made a dataset & tileset and the tileset and everything i added is displaying correctly in tower.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast!

How did you get the "new" MapBox to play nice with tower? I have made a style that contains all the ancillary data (points, buffers, nofly-zones, etc.) I need, but I can't seem to figure out how to load that map into Tower.

On the flip side I can load my map from MapBox classic into tower but most of my data (KML's and json's derived from ESRI shapefiles) will not load into Mapbox Classic, I get an error about it not being able to convert the data to geojson. I did get a set of points from my el-cheapo Garmin (also original derived from the same ESRI shapefiles) to load into the MapBox Classic but the points don't display in Tower even thought the base imagery does.

Any chance you could give me a quick tutorial on how to load this data into tower with MapBox's new studio?

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela