Traveling with Solo

Reaction score
Really quick question. Traveling out to Detroit and Canada next week. Thinking about bringing the solo with just in case I stumble upon any photographic possibilities. All I have is the solo backpack so I would like to carry on with it. Does anyone know if drones are allowed to be carried on? do the batteries need to be in a checked bag? And if Canada has any regulations that would really prevent me from even bringing it. Thanks in advance. New to the community

As far as I know lipo batteries can only be carried in carry on bags. Plan for extra time in the security checkpoint, they might swab your drone and hands etc.

There are other threads on this, but the gist is that the backpack fits overhead bins very well, even on the small commuter jets/turboprops. At the security gate, be polite and expect a short delay while they open it up and look around/swab it. There hasn't been a problem going through security reported on this site yet, and the several times I've flown with it have been no problem.

Reactions: erikgraham
If it doesn't fit in the overhead bins (I flew on a prop-job a few weeks ago and it didn't fit), then the Solo backpack fits under the seat in front of you... although it is a tight fit.

If you check the backpack, then the batteries should be carried on. I recommend putting electrical tape over the battery connectors to eliminate risk of shorting in a bag.

I might suggest putting the batteries in a Lipo battery bag before putting them in the backpack. I would think they would still fit in their slots in the backpack.

Reactions: Maddog
I have found that lipo batteries r not allowed on commercial flights i e southwest even tsa website
I always send my ahead on ups
I don't want to get there and find out they won't let me take the lipo batteries then what am I going to do
Please let me know how it works for you
Thanks

I've read the federal regulations and Solo's batteries are under the lipo power limits and are therefore clear for North American flights.

Hi guys....has any body take the SOLO in an international flight as a carry on. I am planing a trip to Mexico and I have 6 batteries in the back pack.
Thanks

I've read the federal regulations and Solo's batteries are under the lipo power limits and are therefore clear for North American flights.

was reading through this thread and that's good news to hear.
Im flying from San Diego to Seattle in April and was worried about this exact situation, heck I was getting ready to just rent a solo and have them ship it to me in Seattle.
Do you perhaps have a link to that regulations that way I can prepare myself for anything?

Thanks for clearing that up for me and thanks for the write up

Southwest had a sign that said no LIPO batteries..... but no-one checked.
I took it to Mexico, only pulled aside by security at LAX on the way back (1 out of 4), they did a swab and I was good to go. However in Mexico I was stopped by customs and had to pay an import tax. 16% on $432. Had to show a receipt for it. $1432 less $500X2.
also.... Southwest had a sign that said no LIPO batteries..... but no-one checked.

Let's say southwest does check and says u cannot take them on the flight you would have to go back out and try to find somewhere to ground ship them possible to miss your flight or have to throw the batteries away ?

No lipo batteries on the plane? So they didn't allow cell phones, tablets, nooks, mp3 players, watches or laptops either I assume? If it's an electronic device, most likely it's running on a lipo.

Steve,
I fly every 4-6 days, and my Solo is always with me.
I've been questioned a few times both by Canada's rent-a-cops at both Billy Bishop and Pearson airports, international to US, Mexico, and EU. Once I was questioned in Calgary, but it was more curiosity than "I'm not sure you can take those on board."
Carrying skydiving equipment is much more difficult by comparison.
I've never been questioned at a US airport.
I've flown Southwest, Delta, Air Canada, WestJet, and American with the Solo.

Five batteries, all in the Solo backpack. Pearson/YYZ airport rental cops had to walk down to the Delta ticket counter with me to verify that Delta has a "no underbelly/cargo" rule for LIPO. Once the gate agent looked at the batteries in their case slots, the only question then was "are you certain it'll fit overhead."

I'd not worry about it as carry on.

was reading through this thread and that's good news to hear.
Im flying from San Diego to Seattle in April and was worried about this exact situation, heck I was getting ready to just rent a solo and have them ship it to me in Seattle.
Do you perhaps have a link to that regulations that way I can prepare myself for anything?
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but was curious where you fly in SD?

I've flown with Solo a number of times, just a suggestion from my own experience? Put your rotors in your checked bags. Yes, they are plastic, but TSA has told me a few times they resemble a knife blade and are in the gray area for carry-ons. Your mileage may vary.

I've flown with Solo a number of times, just a suggestion from my own experience? Put your rotors in your checked bags. Yes, they are plastic, but TSA has told me a few times they resemble a knife blade and are in the gray area for carry-ons. Your mileage may vary.

At which airport did this occur?
- There is a significant difference between a line officer and a supervisor. Line officers in general, are people that couldn't hold a job at 7-11. Supervisors are pretty smart.
- While a prop may resemble a knife blade, it is required for operation of your aerial vehicle. Nicely ask for a supervisor if a dumbass line officer is able to say "it resembles a knife blade" with a straight face.

If ever hassled about anything you deem reasonable, ask for a supervisor. At the very worst, they can place a pilot's permission on an item and lock it in a closet on the flight. Virgin requires this for example, when flying with a parachute rig. The pilot must be asked if he's ok with it onboard, and if he agrees, the item is tagged and locked up.

Myself and other S&TA's at large are required to be certified to teach TSA about parachute systems, what they can and cannot touch, and how the chain of command operates. Parachutes are not seen as life-saving devices by the TSA, they categorize them as part 91/cargo, and therefore should/can be placed underbelly.

One of the best-ever commentaries at San Diego Airport (which sees a *lot* of military) "I'm pretty sure you can't take a parachute on to an airplane, sir."
'could I please speak to a supervisor?'
(supervisor comes over and asks what she needs, and she explains what she'd just told me, along with my crew of 6 others carrying sport parachute rigs)

He smiles, says not a word, and waves us through.
If someone here is a TSA line officer, you'll have to forgive me for not apologizing at my disgust at the average TSA line officer; as one who routinely travels over 100K miles a year...I have little respect for most of them both from the passenger and the instructional side.

Truly, if a TSA agent ever said something about a prop "resembling a knife," stifle the laugh and sweetly ask to see a supervisor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela