Video Editing??

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im wondering what the best program is for editing GoPro footage other than the GoPro studio?
When Im filming in 4k or 1080, I cant seem to get the choppiness out of the footage with the GoPro studio.

Any info and tips would be great, thank you.

Reactions: prowler9
Your problem might be your computer not the software. GoPro images are heavily compressed and require relatively powerful CPU and graphics card.

There's lots of info available with a Google search- too much to cover here.

Reactions: Brannon Hagenson
Your problem might be your computer not the software. GoPro images are heavily compressed and require relatively powerful CPU and graphics card.

There's lots of info available with a Google search- too much to cover here.
That's what I was wondering, I will look into it, thank you.

Most computers can't play back 4K without chugging. A lot of times it's not actually the processing power in the computer, but rather it's a slow hard disk.

Do you have a Mac or a PC? That will dictate what software is the best choice for you. On the Mac side I'm a fan of starting out with iMovie and then eventually moving up to Final Cut.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the format GoPro uses to record video is not "editor friendly." You need to transcode to an editing codec (like ProRes). But these files will be much bigger. You can also create proxies (lower resolution versions of your original video files) and edit with those. When you're done, your editor will assemble and export your final video from the original video files. Using proxies makes it much easier and less time consuming to edit.

Last edited:
Spending money? Can't go wrong with the industry standards Final Cut or Adobe Premiere, After Effects, etc....Folks argue the learning curve sometimes but I'd say it was easy to learn ...Premiere has the conversion to automatically remove DJI or GoPro distortion...and many others. (Internet search will also easily provide the correction numbers)

Thank
Most computers can't play back 4K without chugging. A lot of times it's not actually the processing power in the computer, but rather it's a slow hard disk.

Do you have a Mac or a PC? That will dictate what software is the best choice for you. On the Mac side I'm a fan of starting out with iMovie and then eventually moving up to Final Cut.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the format GoPro uses to record video is not "editor friendly." You need to transcode to an editing codec (like ProRes). But these files will be much bigger. You can also create proxies (lower resolution versions of your original video files) and edit with those. When your done, your editor will assemble and export your final video from the original video files. Using proxies makes it much easier and less time consuming to edit.
Thank you yet again.......I am currently on a PC, I dont think Prores is compatible with PC right?
Here is a link to the little vid I put together from the footage I shot today, let me know what you think...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thank

Thank you yet again.......I am currently on a PC, I dont think Prores is compatible with PC right?
Here is a link to the little vid I put together from the footage I shot today, let me know what you think...

I'm not current on the PC side so I'll defer to someone else on that. I do at least know that you can play and edit ProRes on a PC in Adobe Premier, but you would need a utility to transcode your GoPro footage into ProRes in the first place.

For what it's worth, I only brought up ProRes as an example of an editor friendly format.

Great video - especially the selfie/dronie at the end. Also when you were flying low and fast over the waves. It would be interesting to see that in slow motion.

I do have to say that I noticed a ton of horizon tilting throughout. I wonder what that's from? I got the same thing a couple times before the last software update (last weekend). My work around was to tilt the gimbal down and then maneuver the Solo left and right quickly with the right stick, then tilt the gimbal back up. That seemed to prompt the gimbal to re-level itself.

Last edited:
Thank

Great points!

4k friendly Codecs wise I havn't played very much with the options, perhaps a great thread topic? MP4 plays back on PC and Mac as well as widely used? Here's Elemental's test first example is of 860mb ProRes vs 36mb compressed MP4. Other examples to compare as well:
Ultra-high Resolution 4K Video Before Your Eyes with Elemental

Use? Processor, vs RAM vs Rendering engines thread perhaps??

Final Cut only runs on MAC, where Adobe Premiere is cross platform, running on Mac or PC. Final Cut is a great program, horse race IMHO one slightly surges ahead of the other, then back again on each release. (I edit using everything Adobe on both platforms, instruct as well using Abobe so that the student can use Microsoft or Apple OS that they might have)

Last edited:
I'm not current on the PC side so I'll defer to someone else on that. I do at least know that you can play and edit ProRes on a PC in Adobe Premier, but you would need a utility to transcode your GoPro footage into ProRes in the first place.

For what it's worth, I only brought up ProRes as an example of an editor friendly format.

Great video - especially the selfie/dronie at the end. Also when you were flying low and fast over the waves. It would be interesting to see that in slow motion.

I do have to say that I noticed a ton of horizon tilting throughout. I wonder what that's from? I got the same thing a couple times before the last software update (last weekend). My work around was to tilt the gimbal down and then maneuver the Solo left and right quickly with the right stick, then tilt the gimbal back up. That seemed to prompt the gimbal to re-level itself.
Yea, the horizon tilting, Im hopeing this was from having my gimbal speed in the app set all the way to low? I have changes these settings and am going to try again this morning.
Ill have to put the was portion in slow mo and see how it looks.
Thank again for the info!

Great points!

4k friendly Codecs wise I havn't played very much with the options, perhaps a great thread topic? MP4 plays back on PC and Mac as well as widely used? Here's Elemental's test first example is of 860mb ProRes vs 36mb compressed MP4. Other examples to compare as well:
Ultra-high Resolution 4K Video Before Your Eyes with Elemental

Use? Processor, vs RAM vs Rendering engines thread perhaps??

Final Cut only runs on MAC, where Adobe Premiere is cross platform, running on Mac or PC. Final Cut is a great program, horse race IMHO one slightly surges ahead of the other, then back again on each release. (I edit using everything Adobe on both platforms, instruct as well using Abobe so that the student can use Microsoft or Apple OS that they might have)
Awesome, great help here, I will take a look at your example here.
I will definitely try out Adobe Premier. What do you recommend to film in, 4K, 1080, 2K......and what FPS would you recommend, higher the better for post right?
I agree, I think the Processor vs Ram would be a great thread topic.

Thank you for the information!

Awesome, great help here, I will take a look at your example here.
I will definitely try out Adobe Premier. What do you recommend to film in, 4K, 1080, 2K......and what FPS would you recommend, higher the better for post right?
I agree, I think the Processor vs Ram would be a great thread topic.

Thank you for the information!

Oh! Take a look at the $20 offer for ProDrenalin sticky - bought it, have not tried it but look good!

Assuming the above issues work out, one of the great things about 4k is you have this much larger (4k) to crop if needed. Good thing to have in post after you remove barrel distortion. Premiere Mac CC has the distortion utility built in for DJI and GoPro (Along with a few others). I haven't checked for on my PC.(Just as easy to punch in the correction numbers.)

Bigger frame helps to stabilize in After Effects as well since the frame gets cropped in that process as well!

Hopefully helpful and not more confusing!

Oh! Take a look at the $20 offer for ProDrenalin sticky - bought it, have not tried it but look good!

Assuming the above issues work out, one of the great things about 4k is you have this much larger (4k) to crop if needed. Good thing to have in post after you remove barrel distortion. Premiere Mac CC has the distortion utility built in for DJI and GoPro (Along with a few others). I haven't checked for on my PC.(Just as easy to punch in the correction numbers.)

Bigger frame helps to stabilize in After Effects as well since the frame gets cropped in that process as well!

Hopefully helpful and not more confusing!
Thank you, I will take a look at this. I bit confused still, bigger frame, are you referring to filming in 4K opposed to 720?

So my next question is this, I went into Best Buy yesterday to see if I could soup up my laptop to be compatible with 4k GoPro footage, apparently you can not do much to a laptop but you can to a desktop.
Do I need a better computer than my pc? or will I be just fine if I get a good program like Premier?

So my next question is this, I went into Best Buy yesterday to see if I could soup up my laptop to be compatible with 4k GoPro footage, apparently you can not do much to a laptop but you can to a desktop.
Do I need a better computer than my pc? or will I be just fine if I get a good program like Premier?

Max out your RAM and replace the HD with an SSD (500GB or so) drive, Archive to an external 2TB drive

If you really want to Edit in 4K, you need a proper rig. Not only do you need a powerful computer, with a fast hard drive (ideally a RAID with 6 platters), but you also need a monitor with at least 4K resolution. Even with a big fast RAID, you still need to make sure you connect it to your computer with a high speed connection (on a Mac, Thunderbolt 2), or you won't really see the benefit.

You can get by with lower end solutions, but its a hassle. Personally I am a fan of the iMac5K along with an external 6 platter 12GB RAID dedicated to video only. Its still not ideal, but its cheaper than their Power Mac's which haven't been updated in awhile.

I would google "editing in 4K" because there are a lot of options out there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40