Video feed gone/terrible

Reaction score
I just recently developed this problem which I never had before. Up until this weekend I never had an issue with the video feed. I went on vacation to Vermont and I was REALLY looking forward to getting some good footage in the mountains and valleys up there. First day, everything was fine, Solo flew great, video was fine, no issues at all (except a minor one listed below) but I had to cut the flight short after about a minute because it was a bit windy. Next day everything was perfect, sunny, no wind, warmer temps. But...no video feed. The screen was black most of them time, and when I actually got a feed, it looked like the picture attached (see first image attached). :(

Another weird thing I noticed on the first flight was that 1) no audio was recorded, and 2) the video that I recorded showed the GoPro settings and time on the video (see second image attached)...which never happened before. I don't want the time and settings to show on the recorded video.

Today (back at home in FL) I took off the gimble, checked all the wiring connections, and updated to the software that was just released. Also tried a different GoPro, reset everything, tried a few different power-on sequences, quit the app, etc etc. Nothing helped so I submitted a ticket to 3DR.

Hopefully they help me out, but I thought I'd share my experience in the meantime. Nothing is more disappointing then travelling 1300 miles for vacation with your Solo only to not be able to get any good footage. :(

Attachments

• IMG_0020.PNG
    IMG_0020.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0021.PNG
    IMG_0021.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
I just recently developed this problem which I never had before. Up until this weekend I never had an issue with the video feed. I went on vacation to Vermont and I was REALLY looking forward to getting some good footage in the mountains and valleys up there. First day, everything was fine, Solo flew great, video was fine, no issues at all (except a minor one listed below) but I had to cut the flight short after about a minute because it was a bit windy. Next day everything was perfect, sunny, no wind, warmer temps. But...no video feed. The screen was black most of them time, and when I actually got a feed, it looked like the picture attached (see first image attached). :(

Another weird thing I noticed on the first flight was that 1) no audio was recorded, and 2) the video that I recorded showed the GoPro settings and time on the video (see second image attached)...which never happened before. I don't want the time and settings to show on the recorded video.

Today (back at home in FL) I took off the gimble, checked all the wiring connections, and updated to the software that was just released. Also tried a different GoPro, reset everything, tried a few different power-on sequences, quit the app, etc etc. Nothing helped so I submitted a ticket to 3DR.

Hopefully they help me out, but I thought I'd share my experience in the meantime. Nothing is more disappointing then travelling 1300 miles for vacation with your Solo only to not be able to get any good footage. :(
I replied to you over on this thread.
Solo app video choppy

... and 2) the video that I recorded showed the GoPro settings and time on the video (see second image attached)...which never happened before. I don't want the time and settings to show on the recorded video.
That is the GoPro's OSD (on screen display). You can turn that off in your GoPro settings.
However, you won't see the OSD on the actual video. That only shows up in the live-feed. I assume you don't consider the live-feed to be your video... While you can save the live-feed to your iPad, its really just there to help you frame shots. The actual video is recorded onto the SD card inside your GoPro, which you have to import into your computer after you land. The live-feed will always look crappy by comparison.

That is the GoPro's OSD (on screen display). You can turn that off in your GoPro settings.
However, you won't see the OSD on the actual video. That only shows up in the live-feed. I assume you don't consider the live-feed to be your video... While you can save the live-feed to your iPad, its really just there to help you frame shots. The actual video is recorded onto the SD card inside your GoPro, which you have to import into your computer after you land. The live-feed will always look crappy by comparison.

The second screenshot I posted above is taken from the actual video that was recorded onto my device.

You're right though...when I connect the SD card to my computer and view the video directly from the card, the audio is there and the info on the screen is gone.

However, I sometimes just take the video that was saved to my device and post it directly from there, so I'd rather not add the extra steps if I don't have to.

The second screenshot I posted above is taken from the actual video that was recorded onto my device.
Got you. You'd be amazed how many folks think the live-feed is the actual video.

Anyway, that definitely the GoPro OSD. You can turn it off in settings. What model GoPro are you using?

Got you. You'd be amazed how many folks think the live-feed is the actual video.

Anyway, that definitely the GoPro OSD. You can turn it off in settings. What model GoPro are you using?

I'm using a Hero 3+ Black.

The strange thing is I always have the OSD on, and in the past when I view the recorded video on my device, the info was never there. Only this past weekend did it suddenly show up.

Yeah, I've never seen the GoPro OSD show up in the actual video off the SD card. From the GoPros HDMI out, yes. But never from the SD card. I didn't even think that was possible, but its not something I've spent any time on. I wonder if your GoPro is the problem.

Yeah, I've never seen the GoPro OSD show up in the actual video off the SD card. From the GoPros HDMI out, yes. But never from the SD card. I didn't even think that was possible, but its not something I've spent any time on. I wonder if your GoPro is the problem.

Just to clarify....the OSD is showing on the video that's recorded to my iPhone when I record during flight. I have the "auto save to device" setting turned on.

If I take the SD card out and view the clip on my PC directly from the card, the OSD does not show.

But...it never showed up on the videos that were saved to my camera roll before..that's what's strange.

Just to clarify....the OSD is showing on the video that's recorded to my iPhone when I record during flight. I have the "auto save to device" setting turned on.

If I take the SD card out and view the clip on my PC directly from the card, the OSD does not show.

But...it never showed up on the videos that were saved to my camera roll before..that's what's strange.
Oh well thats an easy fix. Just go into settings on the GoPro itself and look for "OSD" and then turn that off.

Personally I like to keep the OSD on because then I can see the camera icon in the upper left turn red. That way I know for sure its recording. I never record video to my iPhone or iPad because the live feed is such crappy quality.

So just to double clarify on the black screen issue, when I get that problem (rarely) I can almost always fix it inside the Solo app. In that other thread we started in, I think its number 5 on the list.

Let me see if I can explain this in more detail.
  1. Start up the GoPro and the Solo the way you normally do. You can do it indoors because you don't need to take off for this, BUT you do need to power everything up.
  2. Connect to the Solo with the Solo app, and then click the Fly Solo app.
  3. If the live feed is black, then click the settings button (under the red record button on the left).
  4. Scroll down through the list of GoPro settings that shows up until you see "GoPro Model"
  5. Choose any other model of GoPro from the list. Then click out of that menu.
  6. Now go back into the same settings menu and change the GoPro Model back to the correct one (for you the Hero3+ Black).
At that point the video should come back.

By the way, while you are in that settings menu, you might want to make sure all your other settings are good (i.e video resolution, FOV, etc.). Whatever happened to cause your OSD to start showing up might also have changed other settings. Also, while you are in that menu, I suggest turning off Save to Camera Roll - at least until you get everything sorted.

So just to double clarify on the black screen issue, when I get that problem (rarely) I can almost always fix it inside the Solo app. In that other thread we started in, I think its number 5 on the list.

Let me see if I can explain this in more detail.
  1. Start up the GoPro and the Solo the way you normally do. You can do it indoors because you don't need to take off for this, BUT you do need to power everything up.
  2. Connect to the Solo with the Solo app, and then click the Fly Solo app.
  3. If the live feed is black, then click the settings button (under the red record button on the left).
  4. Scroll down through the list of GoPro settings that shows up until you see "GoPro Model"
  5. Choose any other model of GoPro from the list. Then click out of that menu.
  6. Now go back into the same settings menu and change the GoPro Model back to the correct one (for you the Hero3+ Black).
At that point the video should come back.

By the way, while you are in that settings menu, you might want to make sure all your other settings are good (i.e video resolution, FOV, etc.). Whatever happened to cause your OSD to start showing up might also have changed other settings. Also, while you are in that menu, I suggest turning off Save to Camera Roll - at least until you get everything sorted.

I've done all that...no help.

I think it's just a failure in the gimbal hardware or wiring in my case.

On a side note, it's been just over 24 hours and I still haven't gotten a response from 3DR to the logs I sent in.

Hopefully they'll get back to me soon. I wanted to fly this weekend.

Hey @tomnjfl
Can you post here after you get response from 3DR please?

I also have lots of problems now with crappy live feed, video is scrolling up and down, or completely frozen, etc.

Thought I could wait and google a bit more before sending a ticket.

Tried to test out the issue, rolling video or just lack of clear video. In my case, it appears constant when video is recording and then intermittent when not recording.

The only thing I can ID is that it is the connection from the HDMI cable to the gimbal, again in my case. I had the battery tray out so I could jiggle the HDMI cable around while everything is on. I wasn't able to clear it up, but when moving the cable at the gimbal end I was able to see an indication in the video feed when the cable was moved.

It appears HDMI has 3 channels for the video feed and each channel has three wires associated with them. Then there is a clocking set of wires, I assume this is to sequence the three channels of video.

Based on the FW timing and then the issue thereafter for a few, I'd assume the FPV was on one to two channels previously. When FW 2.2.0 was released the ability to record to phone was enabled within the app. I can only assume the final channel was added to this feed and showed to be a problem for just a few.

Personally and in my case, I think the issue is at the gimbal's HDMI connector. I did check the connection to the GP several times, but the issue remained. I also replaced the HDMI cable when the issue came to my bird and again no change.

Edit to Add: Just picked up a gimbal, consolation prize for living in a big city with multiple BestBuys. Everything seems to be working with the new gimbal. So in my case it was the HDMI connector on the gimbal circuit board.

So, if you've replaced the HDMI cable and no resolve. And you've confirmed the GP is not the source of the issue. Then the only suspect is the gimbal and likely the HDMI connector on the board.

I won't be requesting a replacement under warranty as I believe I've abused my gimbal by repeated removals of around 300+ times. For others, it would seem correct to request a replacement. The connector is somewhat fragile and is virtually impossible to repair once damaged. I just attempted to replace on another member's gimbal and was not able to complete, went through 3 HDMI connectors in the attempt.

Good luck!

Reactions: Solo Keith
Tried to test out the issue, rolling video or just lack of clear video. In my case, it appears constant when video is recording and then intermittent when not recording.

The only thing I can ID is that it is the connection from the HDMI cable to the gimbal, again in my case. I had the battery tray out so I could jiggle the HDMI cable around while everything is on. I wasn't able to clear it up, but when moving the cable at the gimbal end I was able to see an indication in the video feed when the cable was moved.

It appears HDMI has 3 channels for the video feed and each channel has three wires associated with them. Then there is a clocking set of wires, I assume this is to sequence the three channels of video.

Based on the FW timing and then the issue thereafter for a few, I'd assume the FPV was on one to two channels previously. When FW 2.2.0 was released the ability to record to phone was enabled within the app. I can only assume the final channel was added to this feed and showed to be a problem for just a few.

Personally and in my case, I think the issue is at the gimbal's HDMI connector. I did check the connection to the GP several times, but the issue remained. I also replaced the HDMI cable when the issue came to my bird and again no change.

Edit to Add: Just picked up a gimbal, consolation prize for living in a big city with multiple BestBuys. Everything seems to be working with the new gimbal. So in my case it was the HDMI connector on the gimbal circuit board.

So, if you've replaced the HDMI cable and no resolve. And you've confirmed the GP is not the source of the issue. Then the only suspect is the gimbal and likely the HDMI connector on the board.

I won't be requesting a replacement under warranty as I believe I've abused my gimbal by repeated removals of around 300+ times. For others, it would seem correct to request a replacement. The connector is somewhat fragile and is virtually impossible to repair once damaged. I just attempted to replace on another member's gimbal and was not able to complete, went through 3 HDMI connectors in the attempt.

Good luck!

Hey @tomnjfl
Can you post here after you get response from 3DR please?

I also have lots of problems now with crappy live feed, video is scrolling up and down, or completely frozen, etc.

Thought I could wait and google a bit more before sending a ticket.

I will....but as of now (almost 4 days later), I still have not received any response from 3DR. :(

UPDATE:

Got an email from 3DR Support last night asking me to explain the issue. Although I already explained in detail when I submitted the logs, I wrote them back this morning again explaining the issue and all the steps I've taken to fix it, with no success.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Reactions: RichWest
Another UPDATE:

Got an email from 3DR with a troubleshooting tip that I hadn't thought of before. They suggested I un-mount the gimbal and try connecting my GoPro directly to the HDMI cable coming from Solo, essentially bypassing the gimbal altogether. When I did that, guess what? Yup...crystal clear video to the 3DR app. So it appears my gimbal has gone bad in some way.

I sent them all the receipts, serial #'s, and pictures they asked for, so now I'm just waiting to see what they'll do. Keep you posted..

Reactions: Solo Keith

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea