Video - Software mod to increase radio range - hostapd.conf

Reaction score
>>>AS OF THE UPCOMING FIRMWARE THIS MOD IS NO LONGER NECESSARY<<<

Also note that modding any file in the SoloLink system means that it won't update when you update the copter. To revert to using the defaults, SSH into both Solo and Controller and do: sololink_config --settings-reset

You will need to re-pair after the settings reset.

Note: @Judicator has automated this process too, the Windows program can be downloaded from here: Solo Tweaker

I've just finished this video today, it's relevant to the latest firmware as well. Amongst other things this allows the Solo to use any pair of channels from 1 to 12, whereas before the mod it is limited to using only channels 6 and 11.

This has increased my range in both congested and non-congested Wi-Fi areas. The cost of doing this mod is exactly $0.00.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The software to download to perform this mod is:
A hackable text editor for the 21st Century
Bitvise SSH Client Download

The IP address of the Solo controller is: 10.1.1.1
The IP address of the Solo is: 10.1.1.10

The username is: root
The password is: TjSDBkAu

The changes to make to the hostapd.conf file are:
acs_num_scans=8
#chanlist=6 11
beacon_int=999
wmm_ac_vi_cwmin=2
wmm_ac_vi_txop_limit=136
wmm_ac_vo_txop_limit=1
disassoc_low_ack=0

The command to run to update the MD5 is:
md5sum /etc/hostapd.conf > /etc/hostapd.conf.md5

Attachments

• range.jpg
    range.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
I've just finished this video today, it's relevant to the latest firmware as well.

This has increased my range in both congested and non-congested Wi-Fi areas. Attached is a screenshot without even using the ALFA antenna. The cost of doing this mod is exactly $0.00.

View attachment 859

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The software to download to perform this mod is:
https://atom.io
https://www.bitvise.com/ssh-client-download

The IP address of the Solo controller is: 10.1.1.1
The IP address of the Solo is: 10.1.1.10

The username is: root
The password is: TjSDBkAu

The changes to make to the hostapd.conf file are:
acs_num_scans=8
#chanlist=6 11
beacon_int=999
wmm_ac_vi_cwmin=2
wmm_ac_vi_txop_limit=136
wmm_ac_vo_txop_limit=1
disassoc_low_ack=0

The command to run to update the MD5 is:
md5sum /etc/hostapd.conf > /etc/hostapd.conf.md5
Outstanding Ian!!! I see the distance number at over 6000" on your app and stock antennas.

Before doing this mod there was one area (with Wi-Fi congestion) where 2 Solos were tested that would RTL at less than 100 metres, afterwards there was no problem.

I should add I didn't come up with the changes, I've merely done the video to help people understand how to do the changes.

Last edited:
nice video! what exactly were those parameters you changed?

One of them opens up the channels 1-12, the others are tweaks some 3DR staff have tried and have had good results with. I suspect this won't be the last radio mod, there's more that can be done in the software.

Reactions: erikgraham
I've copied and pasted
One of them opens up the channels 1-12, the others are tweaks some 3DR staff have tried and have had good results with. I suspect this won't be the last radio mod, there's more that can be done in the software.
I wonder if further updates will overwrite the changes.

Any chance you've got a link to an SSH version for mac? Thanks!

Hmmm I thought some DSS spread spectrum channels in the 2,4Ghz band are going to be illegal for use in the US soon which is 3DR chose not to show them? . DJi also recently eliminated a bunch of user selectable channels for use with Lightbridge in the latest P3 firmware and DJi Pilot (now GO) update

Hmmm I thought some DSS spread spectrum channels in the 2,4Ghz band are going to be illegal for use in the US soon which is 3DR chose not to show them? . DJi also recently eliminated a bunch of user selectable channels for use with Lightbridge in the latest P3 firmware and DJi Pilot (now GO) update
I'm sitting here myself wondering about the legality of this....

The reason 3DR chose 6 and 11 was to do with expected performance according to the discussion on the Mod Club thread, it was originally thought it was better to be sharing bandwidth on more congested channels. If any of the channels became illegal, clearly people can exclude those.

I saw some discussion on the DJI forum about the time the P3 came out about DJI limiting the number of channels RC hobbyist could use.....and as (DJI fashion) usual they were hopping mad.
Have not seen or heard anything official regarding that.

I saw some discussion on the DJI forum about the time the P3 came out about DJI limiting the number of channels RC hobbyist could use.....and as (DJI fashion) usual they were hopping mad.
I think that's number of channels used at once as much as anything which these settings don't touch. What I do know is in Europe at least the hardware mods people are doing with boosters and alternative cards definitely are illegal.

The reason 3DR chose 6 and 11 was to do with expected performance according to the discussion on the Mod Club thread, it was originally thought it was better to be sharing bandwidth on more congested channels. If any of the channels became illegal, clearly people can exclude those.
OK thanks. Those guys in the mod group would certainly be the ones that would know. Most non-commercial Wi-Fi routers use 6 and 11 as default as well which would explain the better performance you are getting. I messed around with hostapd.conf a little back in early June. I used WiFi Analyzer, a free Android app, to scan and see which WiFi channels are best for use In my area and then edited hostapd.conf to use only those channels.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
The DJI guys have already figured out a way around the channel restriction.;) The difference between the two companies is that 3DR would say that's cool where as DJI would issue a new firmware update that lock down everything.

I think that's number of channels used at once as much as anything which these settings don't touch. What I do know is in Europe at least the hardware mods people are doing with boosters and alternative cards definitely are illegal.
Yeah, had a buddy I would chat with in the UK using his low power ImmersionRC video Tx and wasn't happy about the range I was getting with mine over here...

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Ian. This is awesome. You deserve a thousand likes. Meantime, here's a gold star:

gold-star-seo1.jpg

There are Mac tools for SSH and SFTP but I'm not familiar with them, but yes you can.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle