Anybody know what's up with the kp index?

J R

Reaction score
I was really hoping (and preparing) to do some serious flying and testing tomorrow but just looked up the weather again on UAV Weather Forecast and everything looks great except for the kp index. I don't know much about this index but have read that you shouldn't fly when this number is high. I see it's showing 6-7 all day tomorrow. That's the highest I think I've seen it since I started watching it a year or so ago. I just drove 4 hours up here to our lake property to do some flying, looks like I may have made the trip for nothing. Anybody know why it's so high?

Jerry

High level of solar storm activity that may effect your ability to maintain (or even get) GPS lock.
Doesnt mean you cant do the flights in manual.

Reactions: J R
High level of solar storm activity that may effect your ability to maintain (or even get) GPS lock.
Doesnt mean you cant do the flights in manual.

Thanks Roland. Yeah, I had planned out some decent tower GS runs a few days ago. Guess I might have to scrap them and just do some manual flying.

Jerry

Yea I had major issues with both solo and p2 last time I saw the index near that high and that was the only variable in a place I fly all the time so I landed both.

He's right though no reason to waste the trip just fly in manual or at least have it mapped and handy if you want to switch to GPS at decent altitude away from things to hit for smart shots and be careful. Manual has yet to fail me, any issue I've had manuals perfect for, I don't rely on pause it's safer to just get used to manual in oh shit moments for me, pause only works in some situations.

I don't rely on pause it's safer to just get used to manual in oh shit moments for me, pause only works in some situations.

Yeah, thanks Adim. Just caught me by surprise I guess. I spent quite a bit of time mapping a few of these out but I'll have them for next time.

Jerry

Kinda surprised me with p2 as I'd never seen it act that way and it's almost two years old, I knew solo had a touchy GPS than so between the two it seemed like it had to be the issue. I think it was below that too I want to say 5 or maybe 6 and they both were dancing all over, haven't seen it again since either.

Before that day I shrugged off the app I got most times figuring it was more paranoia than anything, since I pay more attention to what Sam says.

Maybe it's just me; but been flying RC and MRs for years. Couldn't tell you what a KP is and never looked it up. Remember, once you are in the air the GPS reliability increases. Before starting a smart shot or Tower mission I will glance at the sat/hdop readings, but to this day have never NOT started a mission/smart shot or had an issue once started.

But to each their own. I prefer to fly..:D

Ever had a day where it took 1/2 an hour to get GPS lock.?
Years ago I remember wondering why I cant get a lock and checking over my equipment looking for issues..
In hindsight this is probably what it was. Its just another thing to keep in mind.
Also, these days GPSs are better and more sensitive so a raised k index may have less effect.

I agree though, with Solo, if I lean over the craft on the ground I get "Searching for GPS", when its in the sky I get heaps of satellites.
I have not lost GPS in the air, ever, on any naza, UNAV, pixhawk UAV/RPA I have flown.

Ever had a day where it took 1/2 an hour to get GPS lock.?
Years ago I remember wondering why I cant get a lock and checking over my equipment looking for issues..
In hindsight this is probably what it was. Its just another thing to keep in mind.
Also, these days GPSs are better and more sensitive so a raised k index may have less effect.

I agree though, with Solo, if I lean over the craft on the ground I get "Searching for GPS", when its in the sky I get heaps of satellites.
I have not lost GPS in the air, ever, on any naza, UNAV, pixhawk UAV/RPA I have flown.
Never had it take that long.10-15min on a new GPS that had not been used in the US was about the longest I have seen. But like you never lost GPS in air with; YS-X4, Naza 1&2, APM 2.6, Pixhawk, EagleTree Vector or Solo (PH2). But, having said that I must qualify it by stating that I also prefer to actually do the flying and prefer manual mode to GPS assist modes except when needed. Although recently I find my self using Tower to fly more than the Solo app.

been flying RC and MRs for years. Couldn't tell you what a KP is and never looked it up. But to each their own. I prefer to fly..:D

See that's really what I was looking for, somebody to tell me not to worry about it! Was going to do a quick P2 flight about a year ago, weather sucked for a week, got a quick break and figured I'd take a shot. Got sat locks, liftoff, bird did a little dip at about 10-15', corrected it, let it hover for a few seconds, nice and steady, checked sats again, 12. Started to go forward and Bam! Bird takes off, full speed down my driveway. Got my finger on the button to flip to ATTI, bird sits at the end of the driveway at about 30' and goes full speed to the south at a rapid decline. By the time I hit ATTI it had already dove into the gravel road. Never could figure out if I had done something wrong (pretty sure I didn't) or if it was some other factor at play. Now I get a bit nervous when all the stars aren't aligned. Guess we'll find out today if I'm over it!:D

Thanks guys!

Jerry

See that's really what I was looking for, somebody to tell me not to worry about it! Was going to do a quick P2 flight about a year ago, weather sucked for a week, got a quick break and figured I'd take a shot. Got sat locks, liftoff, bird did a little dip at about 10-15', corrected it, let it hover for a few seconds, nice and steady, checked sats again, 12. Started to go forward and Bam! Bird takes off, full speed down my driveway. Got my finger on the button to flip to ATTI, bird sits at the end of the driveway at about 30' and goes full speed to the south at a rapid decline. By the time I hit ATTI it had already dove into the gravel road. Never could figure out if I had done something wrong (pretty sure I didn't) or if it was some other factor at play. Now I get a bit nervous when all the stars aren't aligned. Guess we'll find out today if I'm over it!:D

Thanks guys!

Jerry
I wouldn't worry about it JR. If you have some concern, let it lock home position and switch to manual mode for takeoff. Then check sats before any GPS dependent modes. If anything looks strange about how it flies, switch back to manual. Of course, this is assuming you are comfortable with manual which I assume you are since you have prior experience.

And get one of those GPS apps on your phone, if GPS reception is an issue a phone/tab app is going to have the same issues and this will give you a bit of a heads up to potential problems (if any).
Let us know how you go.

I wouldn't worry about it JR.

DISCLAIMER: I am a self-certified test pilot. Do Not try this at home!

Jubalr,

Yeah, I'm comfy with manual, some of the points probably won't be quite LOS. As long as my new ribbon cable holds up, I should be good, lose FPV and I'll be doing some seriously trick flyin'! All in an open area so no concerns for people or property issues other than my Solo.

So here's what we got, new Solo, new ribbon cable, Tower waypoint flights, over water, possible limited LOS, high kp...what could possibly go wrong???

I'll let you know how it went later!

Jerry

Reactions: Jubalr
DISCLAIMER: I am a self-certified test pilot. Do Not try this at home!

Jubalr,

Yeah, I'm comfy with manual, some of the points probably won't be quite LOS. As long as my new ribbon cable holds up, I should be good, lose FPV and I'll be doing some seriously trick flyin'! All in an open area so no concerns for people or property issues other than my Solo.

So here's what we got, new Solo, new ribbon cable, Tower waypoint flights, over water, possible limited LOS, high kp...what could possibly go wrong???

I'll let you know how it went later!

Jerry
Awesome Jerry! Good luck with the flight and report back when you get a chance. I flew a Tower flight out about a mile to get to a river yesterday. Expected to lose controller but never did and video was perfect the whole way. Then on the 2nd mission the other way, I had it fly out to a pond just over a small hill to do a circle WP around it. I was watching the flight video in Tower and it started to look like I did not allow enough height for the hill. Looking at the small screen, I could see a tree sticking up directly in view. I hit Manual and applied throttle to get over it. When I played back the video, I couldn't have had more than a foot clearance! I finished the mission in manual, flew around the pond and back home again.

Just some more info

http://ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/modelweb/solar/kp.html

Planetary K-index | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

Just FYI, a high KP index can actually wreek havoc with electrical grids, radios, etc. These are another concern. The reason GPS has problems is that the radio signals from the satellites are tiny and in the microvolt range. But.... High KP values can take out satellites in space, take out power grids on the ground, and create big problems with radio signals everywhere. Especially high frequency radio, such as is used in UAV's

The reason that is important is that you Solo uses Radio for GPS AND communication to you. You lose both, and it lands where it is. High KP values makes this a higher likelyhood.

Something to consider...

Not saying don't fly, but if it were me...... I would carefully consider going over water in those circumstances, and I would have a plan B, C, and D for flying. This is exactly why I bought both the Gitterback and the Marco Polo, when I allready have a Spot Trace. The Spot is good anywhere in the world, but it uses satellites for GPS and uplink also... Gitterback is low tech and good for water, and Marco Polo uses direct (900 Mhz) radio that is less suseptable to a high KP. In this case I would use those, and likely leave the Spot at home.

The right tools for the right job.

Just my 2 cents :)

Reactions: J R and Del
Just some more info

http://ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/modelweb/solar/kp.html

Planetary K-index | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

Just FYI, a high KP index can actually wreek havoc with electrical grids, radios, etc. These are another concern. The reason GPS has problems is that the radio signals from the satellites are tiny and in the microvolt range. But.... High KP values can take out satellites in space, take out power grids on the ground, and create big problems with radio signals everywhere. Especially high frequency radio, such as is used in UAV's

The reason that is important is that you Solo uses Radio for GPS AND communication to you. You lose both, and it lands where it is. High KP values makes this a higher likelyhood.

Something to consider...

Not saying don't fly, but if it were me...... I would carefully consider going over water in those circumstances, and I would have a plan B, C, and D for flying. This is exactly why I bought both the Gitterback and the Marco Polo, when I allready have a Spot Trace. The Spot is good anywhere in the world, but it uses satellites for GPS and uplink also... Gitterback is low tech and good for water, and Marco Polo uses direct (900 Mhz) radio that is less suseptable to a high KP. In this case I would use those, and likely leave the Spot at home.

The right tools for the right job.

Just my 2 cents :)
Thanks for the additional info on the KP index. Certainly extremes can be realized when at certain levels. But to really be useful, we would need a reading of XX will interfere with XX as it relates to Solo. Not saying don't be cautious. Just that never had it effect what I have flown over the years and I'm sure the relative issues have been there long before there was an Index. The scale is between 0-9 with the last 6 days only reading between 1-3. A reading of 5 indicates a geomagnetic storm. But at what level would Solo be effected?
planetary-k-index.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso