Anybody know what's up with the kp index?

Just my 2 cents :)

Earl,

Not only do I hear you, from reading your posts on this forum, I respect your opinions and thoughts a great deal as well. That being said, Sometimes I just gotta take my chances, be as safe as I can be, and just go for it!

Test flights 1 and 2 are in the bag! I'm uploading the screen records for 1 now. Test flight 1 went great, 1.7 mile run along the shoreline, no hiccups. Test flight 2 was another story all together. A 3 mile run along the western shoreline. Lost signal and RTH initiated about halfway through. Mission altitude of about 80'. I think I have RTH set at about 200'.

Panic stayed at bay and got signal back and then lost it again but at least I could see where it was supposed to be. I had planned for it to come straight back across the lake so I had a pretty good idea of where it was. As soon as I got a bead on it I hit Pause and took back control. Had plenty of battery left so no biggie.

I also played with the camera adjustment on the tower screen as my paddle was inoperative (?). Boy that thing is sweet but it's a bitch to control on that screen.

I'll probably bag test 3 as it's supposed to go further and up a creek with a lot of trees. From my home point it will be very hard to maintain signal. Unlike my P2 days, I don't want to change the params just yet to ignore signal loss and continue on with the mission. I can remember having to wait 8-10 minutes for that P2 to come back into range just praying it was doing as instructed.

Tanks for all of the input Earl. Same to the rest of you guys contributing. I'll probably open up a new thread with these two Tower test runs in it. For now I'll try and get the screen records out for those interested.

Jerry

Earl,

Not only do I hear you, from reading your posts on this forum, I respect your opinions and thoughts a great deal as well. That being said, Sometimes I just gotta take my chances, be as safe as I can be, and just go for it!

Test flights 1 and 2 are in the bag! I'm uploading the screen records for 1 now. Test flight 1 went great, 1.7 mile run along the shoreline, no hiccups. Test flight 2 was another story all together. A 3 mile run along the western shoreline. Lost signal and RTH initiated about halfway through. Mission altitude of about 80'. I think I have RTH set at about 200'.

Panic stayed at bay and got signal back and then lost it again but at least I could see where it was supposed to be. I had planned for it to come straight back across the lake so I had a pretty good idea of where it was. As soon as I got a bead on it I hit Pause and took back control. Had plenty of battery left so no biggie.

I also played with the camera adjustment on the tower screen as my paddle was inoperative (?). Boy that thing is sweet but it's a bitch to control on that screen.

I'll probably bag test 3 as it's supposed to go further and up a creek with a lot of trees. From my home point it will be very hard to maintain signal. Unlike my P2 days, I don't want to change the params just yet to ignore signal loss and continue on with the mission. I can remember having to wait 8-10 minutes for that P2 to come back into range just praying it was doing as instructed.

Tanks for all of the input Earl. Same to the rest of you guys contributing. I'll probably open up a new thread with these two Tower test runs in it. For now I'll try and get the screen records out for those interested.

Jerry
Glad it worked out :) FYI, the loss of gimbal control in Solo app is a bug that is fixed in the beta and next release

You can also control the gimbal from Tower, by sweeping your finger up and down on the video. Not precises but it works.

I JUST noticed that i can take pics while videoing by hitting both sweep buttons. Not sure if that is just beta or not. or how I missed it earlier, but thought I would pass it on.

Reactions: J R
Glad it worked out :) FYI, the loss of gimbal control in Solo app is a bug that is fixed in the beta and next release

You can also control the gimbal from Tower, by sweeping your finger up and down on the video. Not precises but it works.

I JUST noticed that i can take pics while videoing by hitting both sweep buttons. Not sure if that is just beta or not. or how I missed it earlier, but thought I would pass it on.

Earl,

Yeah, I've got the beta installed now but still had the camera control problem. seems like sometimes it's there and others it's not. I've tried my hand at the "sweeping", too sensitive for me! Hey something I don't like at all, when you enlarge the preview screen in Tower you lose all data info from the header. There is no data at all displayed when in the larger preview screen.

Jerry

Thanks for the additional info on the KP index. Certainly extremes can be realized when at certain levels. But to really be useful, we would need a reading of XX will interfere with XX as it relates to Solo. Not saying don't be cautious. Just that never had it effect what I have flown over the years and I'm sure the relative issues have been there long before there was an Index. The scale is between 0-9 with the last 6 days only reading between 1-3. A reading of 5 indicates a geomagnetic storm. But at what level would Solo be effected?
planetary-k-index.gif
As with most things radio, it is relative. It depends on a lot of other factors as well, such as humidity, congestion, etc. etc.

http://uavforecast.com/static/faq.html

I do know from HAM, that values above 6 are considered storms,and values above 7 cause widespread problems with HF radio, with values approaching 8-9 causing HF radio blackouts.

Given that we are not skipping past the horizon helps, but high KP numbers are just like hidden congestion for WiFi, and given that satellites are more affected, and the GPS signals are so weak when they get here, that is also a major concern. More troubling, It shows up as getting satellites, but with weaker signals, and so they drop out easily. ( I start to think.. banked turns etc. that can happen with Tower if not careful)

The UAV forecast site has a Fly/NoFly column. I look at that closely. Not saying it is the final word, but it is a stern warning, and I recheck my backup plan when it says No.

Earl,

Yeah, I've got the beta installed now but still had the camera control problem. seems like sometimes it's there and others it's not. I've tried my hand at the "sweeping", too sensitive for me! Hey something I don't like at all, when you enlarge the preview screen in Tower you lose all data info from the header. There is no data at all displayed when in the larger preview screen.

Jerry
Agreed... I made a post about the data.. My guess is that will come back.

Maybe it's just me; but been flying RC and MRs for years. Couldn't tell you what a KP is and never looked it up. Remember, once you are in the air the GPS reliability increases. Before starting a smart shot or Tower mission I will glance at the sat/hdop readings, but to this day have never NOT started a mission/smart shot or had an issue once started.

But to each their own. I prefer to fly..:D

Here is an article I found that may help those who do not already know (see below)
and here's a link to another article about Space Weather.

https://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/0209038.pdf

Space Weather and GPS Systems

The use of single and dual frequency satellite radio navigation systems, like the Global Positioning System (GPS), has grown dramatically in the last decade. GPS receivers are now in nearly every cell phone and in many automobiles, trucks, and any equipment that moves and needs precision location measurements. High precision dual frequency GPS systems are used for farming, construction, exploration, surveying, snow removal and many other applications critical to a functional society. Other satellite navigation systems in orbit include the European Galileo system and the Russian GLONASS system.

There are several ways in which space weather impacts GPS function. GPS radio signals travel from the satellite to the receiver on the ground, passing through the Earth’s ionosphere. The charged plasma of the ionosphere bends the path of the GPS radio signal similar to the way a lens bends the path of light. In the absence of space weather, GPS systems compensate for the “average” or “quiet” ionosphere, using a model to calculate its effect on the accuracy of the positioning information. But when the ionosphere is disturbed by a space weather event, the models are no longer accurate and the receivers are unable to calculate an accurate position based on the satellites overhead.

In calm conditions, single frequency GPS systems can provide position information with an accuracy of a meter or less. During a severe space weather storm, these errors can increase to tens of meters or more. Dual frequency GPS systems can provide position information accurate to a few centimeters. In this case the two different GPS signals are used to better characterize the ionosphere and remove its impact on the position calculation. But when the ionosphere becomes highly disturbed, the GPS receiver cannot lock on the satellite signal and position information becomes inaccurate.

Geomagnetic storms create large disturbances in the ionosphere. The currents and energy introduced by a geomagnetic storm enhance the ionosphere and increase the total height-integrated number of ionospheric electrons, or the Total Electron Count (TEC). GPS systems cannot correctly model this dynamic enhancement and errors are introduced into the position calculations. This usually occurs at high latitudes, though major storms can produce large TEC enhancements at mid-latitudes as well.

Near the Earth’s magnetic equator there are current systems and electric fields that create instabilities in the ionosphere. The instabilities are most severe just after sunset. These smaller scale (tens of kilometers) instabilities, or bubbles, cause GPS signals to “scintillate”, much like waves on the surface of a body of water will disrupt and scatter the path of light as it passes through them. Near the equator, dual frequency GPS systems often lose their lock due to “ionospheric scintallation”. Ionospheric scintallations are not associated with any sort of space weather storm, but are simply part of the natural day-night cycle of the equatorial ionosphere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado