Backbone Deadweight Balance Kit

Reaction score
Who has the Backbone Gimbal Balance Kit? I have GP Silver w/the Peau 3.97 lens installed & also use the screw on adapter Polar Pro ND's. I can't seem to dial in a perfect level. I've tried Peau's method by using the 6g weights that come w/the gimbal but that hangs the gimbal to one side or the other. I've even tried a nickel in place of the 6g weight that I installed inside the gimbal motor cover. Obviously this method only works w/the Black. I've asked Peau a couple days ago if that was the case & haven't heard back. I went ahead & bought the Backbone kit w/BIG hopes. Peace

Reactions: Juandlpperu
Who has the Backbone Gimbal Balance Kit? I have GP Silver w/the Peau 3.97 lens installed & also use the screw on adapter Polar Pro ND's. I can't seem to dial in a perfect level. I've tried Peau's method by using the 6g weights that come w/the gimbal but that hangs the gimbal to one side or the other. I've even tried a nickel in place of the 6g weight that I installed inside the gimbal motor cover. Obviously this method only works w/the Black. I've asked Peau a couple days ago if that was the case & haven't heard back. I went ahead & bought the Backbone kit w/BIG hopes. Peace
I've got it. But I use the GoPro 4 black.

It took me a bit to get it balanced. What helped was putting a stock GoPro 4 black into the gimbal, and really studying how it balances. What I found is that for pitch, if you try to point the camera straight down, it will actually pitch up a bit. So then I switched to my GoPro with 3.97 and my favorite filter installed (BlurFix nd8/cp) and balanced the pitch first until it was close to what I saw on the stock. Then I did the roll, which involved a fair amount of trial and error to get the weights in the right place without throwing the pitch off.

Reactions: Solo Keith

It took me a bit to get it balanced. What helped was putting a stock GoPro 4 black into the gimbal, and really studying how it balances. What I found is that for pitch, if you try to point the camera straight down, it will actually pitch up a bit. So then I switched to my GoPro with 3.97 and my favorite filter installed (BlurFix nd8/cp) and balanced the pitch first until it was close to what I saw on the stock. Then I did the roll, which involved a fair amount of trial and error to get the weights in the right place without throwing the pitch off.
Thanks for sharing your experience. My Back-Bone will be here tomorrow & I'm hoping it'll work w/the Silver. Physics says it should

Did you remove the original hdmi cable hold plate and put the Deadweight holder on? I just did my install today and I'm not sure I like their solution as if I want to use the hero4 black without a filter I then still need to adjust the Deadweight because the gimbal is no longer balanced. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you remove the original hdmi cable hold plate and put the Deadweight holder on?
I did remove it. I went back and forth on whether to swap it out or not. Ultimately when I finally got balanced it was with deadweight holder on so I left it that way. Seems like it shouldn't be nessisary but that's where I ended up.

Did you remove the original hdmi cable hold plate and put the Deadweight holder on? I just did my install today and I'm not sure I like their solution as if I want to use the hero4 black without a filter I then still need to adjust the Deadweight because the gimbal is no longer balanced. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I have removed the original HDMI cable & replaced it w/the ribbon cable. I wasn't having any problems w/the original. Now I've got several problems since replaced. There's a "black line" that shows up on my tablet, but not on GP. My tablet screen goes blank ever so often, which is happening more. SOLO didn't do this before the cable was replaced. The guys I purchased from said initially mine is the only one they have heard that shows the "black line." But I got an email stating its probably not the cable due to others are having this problem w/out the replacement cable. They are replacing this one & I'm waiting on it. I may just put original back in. As far as the deadweight balancer, it will be in today.

I did remove it. I went back and forth on whether to swap it out or not. Ultimately when I finally got balanced it was with deadweight holder on so I left it that way. Seems like it shouldn't be nessisary but that's where I ended up.

Erik i may order one as well. do you have to swap out the holder? if not what is the purpose for it? i thought it was so the deadweight could slide the full length of the gimbal.

Erik i may order one as well. do you have to swap out the holder? if not what is the purpose for it? i thought it was so the deadweight could slide the full length of the gimbal.
I just assumed it was a weight thing since the replacement piece is lighter than the stock piece. My biggest issue was the camera rolling to the right (solo's left). So every bit of weight I could remove from that side seemed worth it. I bet if I switched to the slightly lighter PolarPro filters I wouldn't have to swap out that piece.

While it is low profile and would allow you to slide the deadweight further, I really don't think there are any instances where that would be needed. For the most part I think folks will be sliding their deadweight as far as possible in the other direction. Maybe it's different for different models of GoPro though.

Thanks! I'll probably go back and forth myself and see what works. Ideally I would like to be able to use the GoPro stock and without Deadweight.

Thanks! I'll probably go back and forth myself and see what works. Ideally I would like to be able to use the GoPro stock and without Deadweight.
Just make sure you have the right sized screw driver. The one that comes with the gimbal works, but I can see it stripping the screws after too many uses.

Just make sure you have the right sized screw driver. The one that comes with the gimbal works, but I can see it stripping the screws after too many uses.

Yes!!!! I noticed that the first time I took it off. Those little guys are sensitive! I had to try 3 different sizes to get a perfect grab and almost stripped one of the heads.

Reactions: erikgraham
Itv

It worked for me

If you're talking about the weight/clamp in the back of the gimbal that holds the hdmi, yes I removed that & replaced it w/the plastic clamp that came w/the pack. I'm also using the GP Silver which is slightly heavier than the Black.

Reactions: JDeMircift

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150