Reaction score
Hello and thanks in advance for any help i may receive

I am trying to get the solo to connect to internet per
"solo" Command Line Tool | 3DR Solo Development Guide

this doc states to connect to solo there are some prerequisites:
python installed >> i have python 2.7.12
pip >> python comes with this i am running 8.1.1
install solo CLI >> guide says to use
pip install git+GitHub - 3drobotics/solo-cli: Solo command line utilities. this returns an error cannot unpack it does not know format of the file... so i used :
pip install https://github.com/3drobotics/solo-cli/archive/master.zip --no-cache-dir

built virtual environment by running :

pip install virtualenv
virtualenv env
env\Scripts\activate.bat
echo 'import sys; import distutils.core; s = distutils.core.setup; distutils.core.setup = (lambda s: (lambda **kwargs: (kwargs.__setitem__("ext_modules", []), s(**kwargs))))(s)' > env\Lib\site-packages\distutils.pth

now when running command :
solo wifi --name=<ssid> --password=<password>
I have to use double quotes since my wifi network has spaces so it looks like this
solo wifi --name="James Family 2.4" --password="@D????????1"
with question marks as all lowercase letters no spaces

I get the result : Connecting to controller....
this will hang forever

I have tried SSH using putty to SSH into solo and controller before opening CMD prompt and running this command as well as not doing this.

solo is connected to controller as well as to app
tried it not connected to app even though this should not matter in any way...

I have tried multiple attempts
I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting to solo wifi

attached screenshot of what happens if i keyboard interrupt is hit shortly after running the command

View media item 419
If i wait I only get the last 2 lines
File "c:\Python27\lib\threading.py", line 614, in wait
self._cond.wait(timeout)
File "c:\Python27\lib\threading.py", line 359, in wait
_sleep(delay)
then obvisously eventually after 20 minutes +
my keyboardinterrupt

any help would be appreciated !

just to be clear, the computer you are running solo cli on is connected to the solo wifi?

Yessir I can connect to the solo wifi connection
I can even SSH in with putty and LS directories
so i know i am connected through putty

However when trying to send personal wifi info to controller so it can connect to internet
i get connecting to controller....

OK guys installed oracle VM virtual box
Python 2.7.12
pip

and then solo-cli
i am now able to run solo commands and get the list of help commands

however i am still having the same issue when i try to run
solo wifi --name="James Family 2.4" --password="@D????????1"

connecting to controller...

same as before i have SSH connection to controller and solo through putty
i can LS directories and see SSH keys see keys thumbnail

and when i keyboard interrupt connection after i know this is not going through i get output of whats in the connecting to controller thumbnail

Whats next ...lol

thanks again for any help

Attachments

• keys.PNG
    keys.PNG
    26.1 KB · Views: 23
  • connecting to controller 2.PNG
    connecting to controller 2.PNG
    276.9 KB · Views: 25
my main SIDs have spaces in them. i just tried to connect to them and could not. my guest network does not have any spaces i could connect just fine.

you could give that a try.

also when you connect solo wifi will disconnect and you have to manually reconnect to solo wifi. the process is not done until you do that. terminal will tell you when to manually reconnect.

my main SIDs have spaces in them. i just tried to connect to them and could not. my guest network does not have any spaces i could connect just fine.

you could give that a try.

also when you connect solo wifi will disconnect and you have to manually reconnect to solo wifi. the process is not done until you do that. terminal will tell you when to manually reconnect.

I tried this before installing Ubuntu in virtualbox
I was using windows command line and using my cell as a hotspot and trying to get it to connect to that
I used no spaces in the SSID name and no spaces or special characters or caps letters in password or SSID, but it did the same thing.
Again this is before in installed linux
I will try this with Ubuntu installed and change my wifi SSID and see if that helps
I think it is timing out when connecting to controller maybe sommething to do with SSH keys? I dunno

But thanks for the input i will definately give this a try ... maybe tonight as i work all day
Then i will report back and let you know.
I appreciate your help

you want to connect solo directly to your wifi at home, or am i wrong ?

Does anyone know how to make this work or is it yet a mystery?

I am having the exact same problem. I asked the question on Github and have had no reply.

Would be nice to have this working.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Same here. I can SSH into my Solo perfectly fine from my Win10 desktop and Win10 phone, but I can't get the SoloCLI wifi function to work.

Reactions: jonbrotherton
Same here. I tried with a home network SSID and password w/o blanks or special characters, no luck. I have Windows 10, python 2.7.14, pip, installed. Latest stock 3DR firmware on artoo and IMX installed.
Install of CLI went well, I can run solo and get the help displayed.
But none of the commands work (my PC is connected to the Solo controller WiFi)
“Connecting to Controller...” and nothing.

Is here anyone who got Solo-CLI working recently?
@hackbard23 @franknitty69

Last edited:
I haven't seen any posts anywhere saying that they got this working. Maybe it is no longer possible.

IDK I thought maybe they dropped that capability in an uodate or something. It is frustrating. I have tried it with different routers, different security settings, no security, different ssid, even tried my phone hotspot. Always the same result no matter how long I wait. I have asked the question on FB Group Solo Mod Club and no answer there either. I will post it here if I ever figure it out.

IDK I thought maybe they dropped that capability in an uodate or something. It is frustrating. I have tried it with different routers, different security settings, no security, different ssid, even tried my phone hotspot. Always the same result no matter how long I wait. I have asked the question on FB Group Solo Mod Club and no answer there either. I will post it here if I ever figure it out.
Please do. I've asked there as well and have not gotten anything definitive back. We can't be the only two people who've attempted this, and someone must have been successful.

I guess its related to the python, or virtualenv version installed on our PCs. Solos operating system is over 2 years old, and all the surrounding software has developed further.
I tried it with an older Solo with a version installed that worked well with others over a year back. No success either today.
I guess we need a list of installed versions for python, pip, virtualenv etc from someone who has a working setup.

I just tried this using OpenSolo 2.5-RC2.
Look at the attached file which shows the commands I sent via solo-cli.
The second part of the file (after the +++++) is from an ssh session into Artoo before and after I ran the solo wifi command.

Connected to the Internet just fine. I'm using Linux Mint 18.2 on my laptop.
To get solo-cli running on Linux Mint 18.2:
Install pip, then update it, then setuptools and virtualenv (using pip).

Attachments

• wifi.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Granny