DBS Mods P3 antenna bracket alteration

Reaction score
Took delivery on the DBS Mods antenna(s) yesterday. One for P3 and one for Solo. The P3 comes with a REALLY nice stainless bracket and clips on to the bar of the Phantom 3.

Since there is no bracket available for the Solo I was going to start from scratch and build one out of aluminum with material anyone could buy at Home Depot. However, it turned out with some cutting and filing the stock P3 bracket worked great.

I am going to paint the panel black today and while that is drying I will probably do some finish filing on the bracket.

This took about 15 minutes to fabricate but I have a large shop full of tools. Its basically just cutting, filing and drilling a couple holes.

First of all here is the stock P3 bracket. As I said its a nice piece !
p3.jpg

This is the bracket held up to the Solo controller where the mount clips on. I cut off the sides (yellow), cut out the area with the white dotted line and drilled two holes shown in black. I used screws with nylock nuts and the solo mount captured the nuts perfectly so they would not spin as tightened.

p3 to solo2.jpg

Here is a picture of the cut down mount installed.

mount only.jpg

Here is the picture with no device mountedno tab.jpg

And here is the final picture with the Samsung Tab 3 (8.4").

done.jpg

The way the Solo tablet mount is decided there are a million ways to easily mount the DBS panel with just a bent piece of aluminum strap. The panel has two studs on the back with wingnuts so its easy to attach.

Took delivery on the DBS Mods antenna(s) yesterday. One for P3 and one for Solo. The P3 comes with a REALLY nice stainless bracket and clips on to the bar of the Phantom 3.

Since there is no bracket available for the Solo I was going to start from scratch and build one out of aluminum with material anyone could buy at Home Depot. However, it turned out with some cutting and filing the stock P3 bracket worked great.

I am going to paint the panel black today and while that is drying I will probably do some finish filing on the bracket.

This took about 15 minutes to fabricate but I have a large shop full of tools. Its basically just cutting, filing and drilling a couple holes.

View attachment 486

This is the bracket held up to the Solo controller where the mount clips on. I cut off the sides (yellow), cut out the area with the white dotted line and drilled two holes shown in black. I used screws with nylock nuts and the solo mount captured the nuts perfectly so they would not spin as tightened.

View attachment 487

View attachment 483

Here is the picture with no device mountedView attachment 484

View attachment 482

The way the Solo tablet mount is decided there are a million ways to easily mount the DBS panel with just a bent piece of aluminum strap. The panel has two studs on the back with wingnuts so its easy to attach.
Well done my friend!
Looking forward for your review on performance from the DBS panel.

Dirby, it weighs ounces. I really dont even notice it. I think they should put some lead insides so you feel you really bought something. LOL

Dirby, it weighs ounces. I really dont even notice it. I think they should put some lead insides so you feel you really bought something. LOL

That antenna is not cheap and comes with a bracket for the price, you'd think he would supply a correct bracket for the Solo.

The bracket is designed for a Phantom 3, not a Solo.
Apparently, as reported on another thread, DBS will custom make a black antenna with a Solo bracket for an additional $31.

The bracket is designed for a Phantom 3, not a Solo.
Apparently, as reported on another thread, DBS will custom make a black antenna with a Solo bracket for an additional $31.

I understand that. My point is a Solo owner should not have to buy 2 brackets, they should keep the Phantom bracket and supply a Solo bracket.

Reactions: prowler9
I understand that. My point is a Solo owner should not have to buy 2 brackets, they should keep the Phantom bracket and supply a Solo bracket.
I am assuming if there is enough demand he will match the prices.
You can easily save the $31 dollars and modify the P3 bracket yourself, then paint the antenna black. There is another thread showing how to DIY this.

OK, look at it this way. He does not sell an Antenna for the Solo. Period.

Now that we have that out of the way...

If you would like one of these panels for your Solo, you can buy a p3 panel and modify it.

DBS never came here and said he has Solo antennas for sale. I figured out they use the same panel so I bought one and shared that info.

OK, look at it this way. He does not sell an Antenna for the Solo. Period.

Now that we have that out of the way...

If you would like one of these panels for your Solo, you can buy a p3 panel and modify it.

DBS never came here and said he has Solo antennas for sale. I figured out they use the same panel so I bought one and shared that info.

OK, got it.

I understand what you are saying. Maybe DBS will come up with solution. Honestly the Solo does not require two of the internal cables and it doesn't take much of a mount. So eventually he might be able to sell them for same price.

I cant speak for him though :)

View attachment 486

View attachment 487

View attachment 483

Here is the picture with no device mountedView attachment 484

View attachment 482

Dremmel tool and a Drill press.

Well been a rough day for distance flying!

First I need to correct my math from last light. I just clicked 2.2 miles which I calculated to 12,000 feet. I was just testing again today and noticed that 2.2 miles is only 11,616 feet so I stand corrected.

Today the best I could do was 1.3 miles. Was at about 6864' I was having bad video issues so I brought it back, swapped batteries and put on the stock antennas.

Took off with the stock ones and the video problem persisted. Video was pixelating and rolling but oddly enough I made it to 1.1 miles with the stock ones which is 5808'.

Wish the display actually read in feet as once you get past the mile mark the 1/10 mile resolution is not very good for gauging things.

Its hot and humid today so that is not helping but whatever I did last night I need to find it again!

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Do you have a link for theese antennas?
thx D

Well been a rough day for distance flying!

whatever I did last night I need to find it again!

OK, as I was sitting here trying to think of a witty comeback, one snide remark that I came up with was blaming your fancy McGyvered bracket on the loss of range... then it occurred to me, "Hey, could it be your fancy custom bracket as opposed to hand-holding the DBS panel?" :(

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso