Drift-Land-FLIP?

Del

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my experience on my Solo doing a Flip when landing on today's flight !

Iv had my Solo for about 2 month now and flown many..many flights with out any real issues at all..!

But for some reason today was different !!

Iv flown it 3 times today and only got one good landing..

I put up 2 short videos to share what Iv experienced today what I call (Drift Landing)
Iv never experienced this issue until today !
Everything was going well Untill I tried to land!

The first Video ! (The Flip)

I brought the solo to hover in front of me about eye level.. but I notice something that Iv never seen the Solo do..it was NOT staying still....it would be DRIFTING to the right and to the left and being very disoriented all on its own? Then that's when I manually tried to land it using the left stick pull down..I manage to get the Solo on the ground and at that point held the left stick Tottaly in the down position to shut off the motors ...but instead of the Solo shutting down the motors..it seem like the 2 Front motors suddenly started to speed up and causing the solo do a flip ??
After the flip..I check the Props and Motors to make sure nothing was damaged.!!
I was lucky...everything looked fine!
So I shut everything down and changed battery and then took off into the air again to see if I would still experience that same drift landing?
I flew the Solo about 200 feet away from home point...and I hit my RTL ..!
The Solo went up to its 150 RTL altitude then started to decent down to land ..and me getting ready to hit the fly button just in case I see any kinda drift as she is landing!
But it landed perfect and shutting off its own motors!

My Secound Video (RTL Drift)
So now I drove about 10 miles away to a different area and was flying around...then decided to hit the RTL...but as the Solo was coming down I notice it started to DRIFT all over the place again and getting very disoriented as she is trying to land on its own...it was about 3 inches of the ground when I notice it started to aggressively started to Drift forward while trying to land its self!! Thats when I knew I had to hit the FLY button and get control of this thing...or els I knew it was gonna be a Damaged Landing!!!
So I hit the FLY button just in time ..gaine manuall control and brought the Solo high enough to grab it's leg ..then held the left stick all the way down till the Motors Stopped!!

I don't really know why this Drifting is happening today ...I know I locked on to about 11 to 14 Sats before take off!!

Has anybody els experience this?
Maby I just had a bad GPS day or something! :(

The Flip
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Leg Catch

Fly Safe
Fly Smart
Catch A Leg

Did you pause it cuz that requires GPS for it to stay.in one spot. Map manual to a key so you can fly.it without GPS.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

As you probably know, looking at the logs in MP will shed a LOT of light as to what was happening. if you post here, others will help.

I had a similar crash like that the other day when the solo drifted under tree canopy and lost GPS and went down the block . I forgot to hit manual and instead I tried to wrestle with it while she was in GPS mode which obviously wasn't a good idea while under a tree. My landing was pretty much exactly like your landing .....flipped over . I think the logic in the software that tells the solo that it's upside down takes way too long. It looks like it's upside down for at least a second or two befor the motors cut off. I wonder if there's any cons to setting that to happen sooner rather than later. I don't see how the drone under normal operating conditions would be affected by an aggressive shutdown if it's orientation was upside down

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

As you probably know, looking at the logs in MP will shed a LOT of light as to what was happening. if you post here, others will help.
Thanks @Earldgrayjr
im kinda new to the Log thing...Iv never tried to get any kind of logs out of my Solo before...But I think this is something I need to learn because it seems like there is a lot benefits to it !
so Im gonna go do some reading on How to Retrieve logs? so I'm gonna do that right now and see if I can figure out how to retrieve them and try to post them here!

I was thinking also i havint did a compass calibration it a couple months ..so I should also do that before my next flight!

I'm seeming to have a little trouble finding a thread on how to retrieve my flight logs ...I'm a ISO kinda guy and have never owned an Android Device in my life !! But it seems like the Androind is the preference of choice to be able to retrieve your flight logs !
Is MP or TOWER only compatible with Android?

So my question is..
Am I able to get a hold of my Flight Logs using any of the ISO product that I have and one Laptop with Windows8 ?
iPhone 6
iPad Mini2
IPad Air
Laptop (Windows8)

Also..do I need to download any kinda Program?

If there's a Thread discussion already on this forum on how to retrieve flight logs with iOS ...please post link

Thanks

I'm seeming to have a little trouble finding a thread on how to retrieve my flight logs ...I'm a ISO kinda guy and have never owned an Android Device in my life !! But it seems like the Androind is the preference of choice to be able to retrieve your flight logs !
Is MP or TOWER only compatible with Android?

So my question is..
Am I able to get a hold of my Flight Logs using any of the ISO product that I have and one Laptop with Windows8 ?
iPhone 6
iPad Mini2
IPad Air
Laptop (Windows8)

Also..do I need to download any kinda Program?

If there's a Thread discussion already on this forum on how to retrieve flight logs with iOS ...please post link

Thanks
MP is a PC app. haven't tried it on Win8 but as i recall it should work fine. It is GREAT for looking at tke log files, as you can play back your flighst visually, while also looking at other data. There is a LOT to it, and there are mutiple log file types, but ypu should start by llooking at your telemetry logs (tlog files) in MP.

There are alsoa LOT of ways to get the various log files. You can get your last 3 tlogs by connecting the phone/tablet you use for flight to the Solo/Controller network (just like you were going to fly) and starting a trouble ticket. It will result in an email to 3DR with the last 3 tlogs attached in a zip file. Change the address, connect to you home WiFi and send them to your self. Once opened on the other side, one will have the right extension. rename the other two to something with that extension. Double click on a file (with MP installed) and it will open in MP. Go to the tlog tab (middle left) and play that file.

As I said, there is much more to the program and the logs, but that is a start. if you post them here, others will also look at them and give you pointers on MP. It is the same software used for all PixHawk based products (a lot of them) and so there is considerable knowledge out there.

I gotta go!

Here's another way to get logs. From 3DR support. See attached.

Attachments

• solodlogswindows (1).pdf
    941.3 KB · Views: 51
thanks for all your help guys...so far I got my self to the point where I was able to send a Ticket to 3DR..and then I mailed the logs to my own email to!
it looks like its all in a zip file!

Attachments

• Drift Solo Log - Sep 20, 2015.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
MP is a PC app. haven't tried it on Win8 but as i recall it should work fine. It is GREAT for looking at tke log files, as you can play back your flighst visually, while also looking at other data. There is a LOT to it, and there are mutiple log file types, but ypu should start by llooking at your telemetry logs (tlog files) in MP.

There are alsoa LOT of ways to get the various log files. You can get your last 3 tlogs by connecting the phone/tablet you use for flight to the Solo/Controller network (just like you were going to fly) and starting a trouble ticket. It will result in an email to 3DR with the last 3 tlogs attached in a zip file. Change the address, connect to you home WiFi and send them to your self. Once opened on the other side, one will have the right extension. rename the other two to something with that extension. Double click on a file (with MP installed) and it will open in MP. Go to the tlog tab (middle left) and play that file.

As I said, there is much more to the program and the logs, but that is a start. if you post them here, others will also look at them and give you pointers on MP. It is the same software used for all PixHawk based products (a lot of them) and so there is considerable knowledge out there.

I gotta go!
Thanks Earl for the great info...I will definitely look into the MP and try to instal it on my PC and see if I can learn how to use it..I can just imagine how confused I'm gonna be at first when I get into that MP and start looking at all this files...but I think with a little time and this great Forum..I should be a Pro in no time :)

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Del, 1st thing is to map a key to Manual mode and use it. I recommend switching to manual mode on every landing. When it get's 6-10' high, hit manual, bring it down your self then hold the left stick down AND to the left corner to kill the motors. While in a perfect world you wouldn't have to do this, there is nothing but good in learning to fly manual mode, which is also called 'Altitude Hold'. It would have saved every example you provided and likely more in the future.

Just my .02 opinion, and still flying the original props since June when I received Solo.

Del, 1st thing is to map a key to Manual mode and use it. I recommend switching to manual mode on every landing. When it get's 6-10' high, hit manual, bring it down your self then hold the left stick down AND to the left corner to kill the motors. While in a perfect world you wouldn't have to do this, there is nothing but good in learning to fly manual mode, which is also called 'Altitude Hold'. It would have saved every example you provided and likely more in the future.

Just my .02 opinion, and still flying the original props since June when I received Solo.

Thanks Jubair..
But I was in manual mode when trying to land on my first Video that I posted...and that's when it flipped !
And in my Secound video I was in RTL mode until it was almost on the ground then the Solo started to get really drifty and disoriented ..then that's when I hit the Fly button to regain control of it manually and brought it up so I can grab one of the legs
I rarely use the home bottom to land..I mostly land manually Most of the time by pulling the left stick to land and then pull the stick all the way down Untill the motor stops! And it works every time ..Untill today? Every other time I've landed my solo in this fashion I've never had a problem ... But this time it did a flip on me and I didint do anything different!
I'm thinking it had something to do with the GPS....and the Solo just didint know where it was anymore!
Iv posted my flight logs in hope someone with more experience can mabe shine some light on what happens exactly or even why it started to drift and get all disoriented and would stand sit still while hovering ?

Ok..I just finished watching your Video ..and it was very informative ..so I guess I was not in the actual manual mode ..but more of a GPS mode!! Your video gave me a pretty good understanding on what the differences now :) and I will take your advice on practicing the Manual mode landing technique !

@Del unless things changed, to shut off motors, all the was back on left stick, then while keeping stick down, move all the way left. This shut down the motors for me every time.

Sent from the 4th dimension using my Nexus 6
Thanks for the tip Steve..but do you know what the difference between pulling the stick all the way straight down to stop the motors and pulling the stick all the way down then to the left ?
Is it the same results?

.I just assigned "A" to "Fly:Manual" mode...and "B" to "Stabilize" mode! Now I'm looking forward to carefully practice these new modes!

Just wanted to share my experience on my Solo doing a Flip when landing on today's flight !

Iv had my Solo for about 2 month now and flown many..many flights with out any real issues at all..!

But for some reason today was different !!

Iv flown it 3 times today and only got one good landing..

I put up 2 short videos to share what Iv experienced today what I call (Drift Landing)
Iv never experienced this issue until today !
Everything was going well Untill I tried to land!

The first Video ! (The Flip)

I brought the solo to hover in front of me about eye level.. but I notice something that Iv never seen the Solo do..it was NOT staying still....it would be DRIFTING to the right and to the left and being very disoriented all on its own? Then that's when I manually tried to land it using the left stick pull down..I manage to get the Solo on the ground and at that point held the left stick Tottaly in the down position to shut off the motors ...but instead of the Solo shutting down the motors..it seem like the 2 Front motors suddenly started to speed up and causing the solo do a flip ??
After the flip..I check the Props and Motors to make sure nothing was damaged.!!
I was lucky...everything looked fine!
So I shut everything down and changed battery and then took off into the air again to see if I would still experience that same drift landing?
I flew the Solo about 200 feet away from home point...and I hit my RTL ..!
The Solo went up to its 150 RTL altitude then started to decent down to land ..and me getting ready to hit the fly button just in case I see any kinda drift as she is landing!
But it landed perfect and shutting off its own motors!

My Secound Video (RTL Drift)
So now I drove about 10 miles away to a different area and was flying around...then decided to hit the RTL...but as the Solo was coming down I notice it started to DRIFT all over the place again and getting very disoriented as she is trying to land on its own...it was about 3 inches of the ground when I notice it started to aggressively started to Drift forward while trying to land its self!! Thats when I knew I had to hit the FLY button and get control of this thing...or els I knew it was gonna be a Damaged Landing!!!
So I hit the FLY button just in time ..gaine manuall control and brought the Solo high enough to grab it's leg ..then held the left stick all the way down till the Motors Stopped!!

I don't really know why this Drifting is happening today ...I know I locked on to about 11 to 14 Sats before take off!!

Has anybody els experience this?
Maby I just had a bad GPS day or something! :(

The Flip

The Leg Catch

Fly Safe
Fly Smart
Catch A Leg
Was this with the Solo app, or Tower?

Thanks for the tip Steve..but do you know what the difference between pulling the stick all the way straight down to stop the motors and pulling the stick all the way down then to the left ?
Is it the same results?

.I just assigned "A" to "Fly:Manual" mode...and "B" to "Stabilize" mode! Now I'm looking forward to carefully practice these new modes!
Hey Del,

Yes, down and to the left is a motor kill command left from the previous Pixhawk 1 and APM controllers from 3DR. Be careful with Stabilize mode, and it is less controlled than manual (altitude hold). Stabilize is even more 'manual' than manual mode and comparable to traditional non GPS MR flight experience. It's a lot of fun, just remember that the left stick is an actual true throttle control now and is unrelated to your altitude. In the Solo manual mode, the left stick controls altitude; leave the stick in the middle and it will try to hold altitude. Raising or lowering the stick is telling it to climb/descend.

In stabilize, you are controlling RPMs of the motors. If you want to see the difference, just give it full throttle in stabilize mode even for a second, and it will shoot up very fast compared to manual.

Have fun...

Edit.. I also wanted to mention that the drifting you were seeing in a hover is a typical symptom of needing to do a compass calibration.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso