GoPro HERO4 Black/Silver update v4.0

Go fly - oh wait the batteries are already dead on the other devices from taking so long to boot and connect the conglomerate!

HaHaHa....I'm glad someone else has a sense of humor here. I agree my flight time seemed awful short on occasion, that explains it all. ;) Besides, if I'm really in a hurry, I toss up my Phantom 3 Pro. (why I have several Solos in my fleet, I can't explain. I guess I like the solid feel, or maybe all the spare parts I might need in the future.)

I won't be updating the GoPro because I really like the Auto ON function. At least until they come out with an update that fixes what was already working fine. You think there would be a little coordination /BETA testing between GoPro/3DR before a release.....

Reactions: SARDG
...You think there would be a little coordination /BETA testing between GoPro/3DR before a release.....
Ya think....?? Especially since a lot of the GoPro employees are former 3DR employees.

I too am waiting for a fix for the fix - from one of these companies. And I'm already turning blue.

Quick question: Does it auto-power off? That's the one I care about the most. It's an annoying annoying little initial step, but at least before take-off you'll know when there's no feed that the GP needs to be turned on. It could be a lot worse like flying an entire battery and realize it's not recording/on.

so 3DR doesn't have it's poop together, no surprise. I'm just happy gopro FINALLY gave us shutter option...really should've been there day 1 for it to be taken as even a half-serious aerial camera. Now they just need to give us an hardware option for flat lens.

Also, just make a copy of your existing firmware before you put in the new one. Not sure how most of the last page was dedicated to FW 3.0 talk.

Bah, humbug... Let's see...
  • Turn on/boot device (tablet)
  • Open Solo App
  • Power on Marco Polo Tracker
  • Power on/boot controller
  • Power on/boot Solo
  • Power on/boot GoPro
  • Connect to Solo network
  • Wait for satellites
  • Go fly - oh wait the batteries are already dead on the other devices from taking so long to boot and connect the conglomerate!
I thought this was a 'smart' drone

I dont know if you were around when Solo first launch...it's gotten considerable quicker since then.

I got the loc8 tracker which has 6 month cont battery if you wanna save a step heh.

my usual routine: turn on controller > chose and rotate ND filter > install gopro > snap-out leg slider > if sunny, throw on hood/ connect to external monitor > turn on Solo > install props > turn on app > connect to Solo > double check GoPro records/gimbal tilts > double check settings (I absolutely hate this step...bug should've been fixed eons ago).

By the time I do all this usually it's armed...original gps and shield.

Last edited:
Haven't tested with Solo yet. Have just done the GoPro update.

There will be questions! GoPro has not updated the user manual and the release notes are not detailed. Something now about Max ISO. Will try find time later to details settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just updated GoPro Hero4 Black to HD4.02.04.00.00
Everything works ok but powering on Solo no longer powers on the GoPro. I just have to manually power on the camera from the front bottom.

I assume they will fix this.
Andy

Just updated GoPro Hero4 Black to HD4.02.04.00.00
Everything works ok but powering on Solo no longer powers on the GoPro. I just have to manually power on the camera from the front bottom.

I assume they will fix this.
Andy

The newest GP release DOES auto power off when you power of Solo.

So far our resident crash test dummies on FB have determined it works with one exception. It will not automatically power-on when you power on the Solo. So you'd need to turn it on by hand before turning on the solo. I'm sure more to follow. Looking forward to tinkering this weekend. Hopefully they an work compatibility into the FW updates going on right now.

I have a question : When you say we have to turn it on by hand, can we do it since the remote or we have to press the button on the camera?

But I heard there is a way to do it since the remote
There may well be. For me, I don't care much. I'm always double-checking my camera settings prior to flight anyway, so don't mind turning it on by hand.

Reactions: adnane
@EyeWingsuit what's your take on using the 180 shutter rule and then stabilising in post? It was previously mentioned in this thread that it would not be recommended as it causes frame blurring.

Unfortunately, I can't test my drone now to check if it's real or not (that we can use remote to turn on camera) so if anyone tested it, pleas tell me

Solos controller has never turned on your GoPro. When you powered on Solo the GoPro would power up and when you powered off Solo your GoPro would power off.

Reactions: adnane
Solos controller has never turned on your GoPro. When you powered on Solo the GoPro would power up and when you powered off Solo your GoPro would power off.

Oh ok so as I understood, it's no longer the case, we have to turn on the GoPro then the Solo, right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado