GoPro HERO4 Black/Silver update v4.0

Yes, that is how we used to do it before we had the convenience of Solo doing it for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thank you and I hope it will change, well it's not that important but still I prefer that GoPro powers up automatically with Solo drone

Yes, that is how we used to do it before we had the convenience of Solo doing it for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have a last question : can we record the video since the solo app or we have to start the video manually from the GoPro?

...I dont know if you were around when Solo first launch...it's gotten considerable quicker since then.
Wasn't around... but expect things to get better! Don't care to look back to the 'good ol' days'.

I got the loc8 tracker which has 6 month cont battery if you wanna save a step heh..
I researched them all and Loc8Tor has an advertised distance of 400' (LOS), and Marco Polo... 2 miles (LOS). Marco Polo has a good (and rechargeable) battery life, but can't be left on in near perpetuity like Loc8Tor.

May not be related to the GoPro update which I did on one of my cameras; but today after switching to photo mode mid-flight I could not switch back to video. I also had a large number of failures of the GoPro coming on line in the app. I had to completely power down everything to get it going again. Have not had this issue previously.

It could be a lot worse like flying an entire battery and realize it's not recording/on.

Not recording, I could see and have done, but not on? Really hard to imagine someone starting up, taking off and flying any length of time, let alone a whole battery, without looking at their phone/tablet a single time to notice they don't have a video feed.

Personally, the auto off is something I wish I could disable. On numerous occasions, I've forgotten I was still recording and turned Solo off only to have it turn off the camera and loose the model file. Luckily the GoPro seems to check and repair the file next time it starts.

When swapping batteries, it just seems like a waste to turn the camera off only to turn it back on 5 seconds later, especially when the camera has its own battery that's continuously topped off by the Solo.

I flew 2 batteries today with v4 on my gopro everything went fine. One thing I noticed is that longer videos weren't split in 2 like before.

May not be related to the GoPro update which I did on one of my cameras; but today after switching to photo mode mid-flight I could not switch back to video...
This sounds like an anomaly that was presenting itself with one of the MANY App/FW/3DR Services beta combinations. Be certain you are on 2.3 App, 1.5.3 3DR Services , and I think, 2.3.X FW for controller and Solo - although because of all the betaware, I find myself currently on 2.3 App, 1.5.3 3DR Services, and 2.4.1-6 Solo/controller.

I researched them all and Loc8Tor has an advertised distance of 400' (LOS), and Marco Polo... 2 miles (LOS). Marco Polo has a good (and rechargeable) battery life, but can't be left on in near perpetuity like Loc8Tor.

dont mean to derail thread but I got the loc8r because every lbs count which is why i dont even carry all 5 batteries most of the time. I like the credit card sized remote and the homing tags dont have an ugly antenna sticking out which doesnt kill SOlo's aesthetics.

i dont feel like I need 2 mile range...assuming one always fly LoS, when a bird goes down you likely already have a half decent knowledge of the vicinity it crashed in.

I guess Marco Polo is good if your quadcopter flies away back to China. Good thing Solo aren't prone to doing that.

dont mean to derail thread but I got the loc8r because every lbs count.

i dont feel like I need 2 mile range...assuming one always fly LoS, when a bird goes down you likely already have a half decent knowledge of the vicinity it crashed in..
I don't feel that I need 2 miles either... just got the Marco Polo so that I might achieve the 400' reliably. Remember they are LOS... not down in a crater or behind a structural building. Just looking for an edge.

OOT...
Marco Polo can do 900 meters easy ( 3,970 feet ) LOS. I just tried last week.
I hid it inside a dive torch, put it in a boat and I tracked it. Its position is only 2 feet above water ( on boat cockpit floor ) and I was 3 feet above water at the island with the tracker. So it was blocked by dive torch plastic housing and boat transom fiberglass. Not bad at all. This area is clean of 900 mhz inteference.

Reactions: SARDG
OOT...
Marco Polo can do 900 meters easy ( 3,970 feet ) LOS. I just tried last week.
I hid it inside a dive torch, put it in a boat and I tracked it. Its position is only 2 feet above water ( on boat cockpit floor ) and I was 3 feet above water at the island with the tracker. So it was blocked by dive torch plastic housing and boat transom fiberglass. Not bad at all. This area is clean of 900 mhz inteference.
Yes, wouldn't expect 2 miles (>10,000'), but that's an example of a good working range. Of course, our drones would be LOS - unless there's a flyaway...:eek:

OOT
900 mhz is nice SARDG, it goes thru wall much better than 2.4 ghz. So when a drone is lost in the woods, its good to have 900 mhz tracker device.

PS I bought the Marco Polo for diver tracking :) and also drone tracking ( the small pcb version )
The dog version being waterproof transmitter is for diver tracking.

Well I am a safety freak when it comes to diving. I carry Icom M72 & 406 PLB, in a dive torch housing as waterproof cannister.
I also have AIS MOB, 60 meter rated McMurdo S10.
Life gets more precious when our kids is starting university....its expensive :) , so daddy can't MIA too soon.

OOT
900 mhz is nice SARDG, it goes thru wall much better than 2.4 ghz. So when a drone is lost in the woods, its good to have 900 mhz tracker device.

PS I bought the Marco Polo for diver tracking :) and also drone tracking ( the small pcb version )
The dog version being waterproof transmitter is for diver tracking.

Well I am a safety freak when it comes to diving. I carry Icom M72 & 406 PLB, in a dive torch housing as waterproof cannister.
I also have AIS MOB, 60 meter rated McMurdo S10.
Life gets more precious when our kids is starting university....its expensive :) , so daddy can't MIA too soon.
Yep, you're (we're) Off Topic - but I and the Coast Guard are happy to see you're serious about safety on (and under) the water. Thought those pet trackers didn't work underwater - and the dive pressures should kill them.

I flew 4 batteries with GoPo v4 over the weekend. Here's my thoughts and findings:

• I often forgot to turn the GoPro on because the auto-on spoiled me. However the blank screen on my phone was fairly obvious reminder to turn it on. I forgetting this step will auto-correct itself pretty quick in my brain.

• All other functions that worked before continue to work today. I can switch modes, start and stop recording, take photos, and adjust the settings that available in the solo app.

• Remember, most of these ProTune settings were not available in the Solo app before either. ISO and white balance were not available in the app before, and they still aren't. The new shutter speed control is also not available in the Solo app. So you must set all those things in advance using the front panel of the gopro or the GoPro app on your phone.

• I set the shutter for double the frame rate, which is the generally accepted standard. (30fps and 1/60 shutter or 60fps and 1/120 shutter). I know nothing about that stuff, so I just do what smart people tell me to do there. ISO also set for 400, but that isn't a new setting.

• If you choose to use the manual exposure (shutter) control, you must be prepared with ND filters. This is no longer a nice to have option if you want to manually control the shutter speed. If you don't want to buy filters, you will not be using manual shutter speed. Daylight will be immensely over exposed without an ND filter. Where you may have used an ND4 or ND8 filter before, that will be nothing. In bright sunny noon daylight, it was over exposed even with an ND16 filter. In cloudy noon daylight, the clouds were still over exposed with the ND16. So the ND32 will probably be your new best friend when using the manual shutter speed.

• I am still using GoPro Color rather than flat. I do not have the software or knowledge to bring the color back to life from flat. I put the white balance in native and plan to carry a white piece of cardboard to hold in front of it. Then I can at least set the white balance in GoPro studio. This again is not a new feature, just something I toyed with this weekend as well.

video- 4k
fps - 30
fov - w
pt - on
bb - native
color - flat
s - 1/60
iso (m) - lock
iso - 100
sharpness - low

I flew 4 batteries with GoPo v4 over the weekend. Here's my thoughts and findings:

• I often forgot to turn the GoPro on because the auto-on spoiled me. However the blank screen on my phone was fairly obvious reminder to turn it on. I forgetting this step will auto-correct itself pretty quick in my brain.

• All other functions that worked before continue to work today. I can switch modes, start and stop recording, take photos, and adjust the settings that available in the solo app.

• Remember, most of these ProTune settings were not available in the Solo app before either. ISO and white balance were not available in the app before, and they still aren't. The new shutter speed control is also not available in the Solo app. So you must set all those things in advance using the front panel of the gopro or the GoPro app on your phone.

• I set the shutter for double the frame rate, which is the generally accepted standard. (30fps and 1/60 shutter or 60fps and 1/120 shutter). I know nothing about that stuff, so I just do what smart people tell me to do there. ISO also set for 400, but that isn't a new setting.

• If you choose to use the manual exposure (shutter) control, you must be prepared with ND filters. This is no longer a nice to have option if you want to manually control the shutter speed. If you don't want to buy filters, you will not be using manual shutter speed. Daylight will be immensely over exposed without an ND filter. Where you may have used an ND4 or ND8 filter before, that will be nothing. In bright sunny noon daylight, it was over exposed even with an ND16 filter. In cloudy noon daylight, the clouds were still over exposed with the ND16. So the ND32 will probably be your new best friend when using the manual shutter speed.

• I am still using GoPro Color rather than flat. I do not have the software or knowledge to bring the color back to life from flat. I put the white balance in native and plan to carry a white piece of cardboard to hold in front of it. Then I can at least set the white balance in GoPro studio. This again is not a new feature, just something I toyed with this weekend as well.
Why do you need 400 iso day?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado