Is the GPS copper foil necessary?

Reaction score
What is the purpose of that piece of sticky copper foil above the GPS chip? I removed mine experimentally, and the subsequent flights (two batteries' worth) were flawless. Very quick GPS lock too. I reinstalled the foil, but am wondering now why it's there. Doesn't it block the GPS signal a little?

Sorry if this was already discussed. My search came up empty.

What is the purpose of that piece of sticky copper foil above the GPS chip? I removed mine experimentally, and the subsequent flights (two batteries' worth) were flawless. Very quick GPS lock too. I reinstalled the foil, but am wondering now why it's there. Doesn't it block the GPS signal a little?

Sorry if this was already discussed. My search came up empty.
Joe, I think if protects the GPS from other interference- can't remember off the top of my head but it is necessary. If I remembered correctly, it protects the GPS from outside interference which might screw up your GPS info.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will point that out.o_O

The copper foil is required to protect the GPS receiver and antenna from electromagnetic interference. There is plenty of noise around, motors, ESCs, and finally the GoPro. Don't remove it, and ensure that it is also not touching the electronic circuit board.

Reactions: Maddog
Thanks to both of you for your replies! Good to know. I can now put to rest my fear that it was only there to make the FCC happy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150