Pano's, What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
So today I tried the Pano feature for the first time and it was an absolute disaster haha. After spending an embarrassing amount of time trying to work out how to switch between the modes I eventually took to the sky and started with a basic Cylinder. I could see the screen flashing while it was taking pictures, after that I went for a full Photo Sphere, the picture count on the bottom indicating how far along the 15 picture pano it was.

Now I am home and all I have on the SD are 10x THM's, 11x LRV's and strangely 9x Videos.

What exactly am I supposed to end up with after a Pano? And before anyone asks, I was shooting Cylinder & PhotoSphere not Video.

So today I tried the Pano feature for the first time and it was an absolute disaster haha. After spending an embarrassing amount of time trying to work out how to switch between the modes I eventually took to the sky and started with a basic Cylinder. I could see the screen flashing while it was taking pictures, after that I went for a full Photo Sphere, the picture count on the bottom indicating how far along the 15 picture pano it was.

Now I am home and all I have on the SD are 10x THM's, 11x LRV's and strangely 9x Videos.

What exactly am I supposed to end up with after a Pano? And before anyone asks, I was shooting Cylinder & PhotoSphere not Video.

Seems my issue is Worse than I thought, I am now unable to Take photos in any mode, The screen cuts out as if it it taking the picture, however it is not being saved to the SD, Videos are fine :( Trying to take a picture results in the GoPro switching to Video Mode :S

Last edited:
My panos are usually a quick flight to desired altitude in stabilize, switch to fly. I frame my shot for center, pull up smart menu, choose pano, press the go arrow and SOLO does the rest. It snaps 6 shots and ends up where you framed the shot, repeat.

I use photoshop automation to stitch them together and extend the framing, add a LUT and go from there. I'm not an expert yet but I have done many, people are astonished with the end product.

Hope this helps. Did you try removing the battery from the camera? I'm using Sandisk extreme pro
memory cards with zero problems.

My panos are usually a quick flight to desired altitude in stabilize, switch to fly. I frame my shot for center, pull up smart menu, choose pano, press the go arrow and SOLO does the rest. It snaps 6 shots and ends up where you framed the shot, repeat.

I use photoshop automation to stitch them together and extend the framing, add a LUT and go from there. I'm not an expert yet but I have done many, people are astonished with the end product.

Hope this helps. Did you try removing the battery from the camera? I'm using Sandisk extreme pro
memory cards with zero problems.

Turns out from another user with the same problems, that we have a firmware issue. The Solo app is just cannot trigger a Photo, any attempt results in it switching to Video mode. This is on both a Stable 2.3 version and 2.4 Beta. Need to wait for input on the Beta forum apparently.

Turns out from another user with the same problems, that we have a firmware issue. The Solo app is just cannot trigger a Photo, any attempt results in it switching to Video mode. This is on both a Stable 2.3 version and 2.4 Beta. Need to wait for input on the Beta forum apparently.
Just throwing stuff against the wall... I haven't tried Pano, and I don't really believe your problem lies here, but - have you updated 3DR Services? 1.6.0 beta-2 is supposed to have added support for Pano, RTM, and Zipline. Someone in the beta thread flew 2.4.X beta with 1.6.0 beta and it worked, but probably was not a comprehensive test of all the Smart Shots.

Is your GP FW up-to-date?

Just throwing stuff against the wall... I haven't tried Pano, and I don't really believe your problem lies here, but - have you updated 3DR Services? 1.6.0 beta-2 is supposed to have added support for Pano, RTM, and Zipline. Someone in the beta thread flew 2.4.X beta with 1.6.0 beta and it worked, but probably was not a comprehensive test of all the Smart Shots.

Is your GP FW up-to-date?

I'm running;
Nexus 7 (2012) running 2.4.0-beta.program.2.
Solo Running 2.4.1-5
Controller Running 2.4.1-5

Gopro works fine outside of the system. When installed it will not/can not take pictures. Whenever prompted it switches to Video Mode.

I have the same problem since updating to the latest Android Solo Beta 2.4.0-2 and 3DR Services 1.6.0.-beta.2.
I can't switch to photo mode. The symbols in the app overlaid by the GoPro (i.e. the camera symbol, "12 MP wide" etc. would indicate the GoPro is in photo mode. However, the record button in the app is red like in video mode, not photo mode. If I press it, the app pretends to take a photo, but there is nothing on the SD card. Similarly, in Pano mode it doesn't take any photos, despite pretending to do so. I also noticed that I can't turn on ProTune and EV constantly resets to -2 EV.
This didn't used to be so, also not with the Beta 2.4.1-3, photo mode used to work fine. I did all the GoPro-tricks like pulling battery, resetting etc. Seems to be an issue with the latest firmware.

I have the same problem since updating to the latest Android Solo Beta 2.4.0-2 and 3DR Services 1.6.0.-beta.2.
I can't switch to photo mode. The symbols in the app overlaid by the GoPro (i.e. the camera symbol, "12 MP wide" etc. would indicate the GoPro is in photo mode. However, the record button in the app is red like in video mode, not photo mode. If I press it, the app pretends to take a photo, but there is nothing on the SD card. Similarly, in Pano mode it doesn't take any photos, despite pretending to do so. I also noticed that I can't turn on ProTune and EV constantly resets to -2 EV.
This didn't used to be so, also not with the Beta 2.4.1-3, photo mode used to work fine. I did all the GoPro-tricks like pulling battery, resetting etc. Seems to be an issue with the latest firmware.

Exactly the same as us, few other users on the Facebook page also with this issue and it has been reported on the Beta page. But until someone gets back to us we are stuck on Video, can compensate using 4k but that's not the point.

I'm running;
Nexus 7 (2012) running 2.4.0-beta.program.2.
Solo Running 2.4.1-5
Controller Running 2.4.1-5

Gopro works fine outside of the system. When installed it will not/can not take pictures. Whenever prompted it switches to Video Mode.
I am running some tests now w/ 2.4.1-5 and 1.6.0 using GP4B with latest FW.
STANDBY!

In the meantime:
Are you running 3DR Services version 1.6.0, beta 2 or the old 1.5.3?
(I may just have detected something buggy w/ 1.6.0)
Is your GoPro updated with the latest FW?

In the past GP didn't play well with Solo and is based on the GP model and specific FW each GP model is running, i.e.: 3+ Silver you cannot update to latest FW or won't get video feed, 3+ Black you must update to latest FW, but will still have limited functionality compared to GP4 Black where you must update to latest FW for (near) full functionality. It's a mess, but any GP troubleshooting help requested on the forum will have to include stating the GP Model.

Also (and going by memory of what I read in a post here), GP4B should be set (externally from the Solo) to Video only as a default and then the Solo App will be able to select Video+Photo or Photo. I don't exactly take copious notes, but it seems that after I did this, ProTune was available AND EV did not reset. That has held true no matter what App version or Betaware I've run.

If someone here hasn't updated to 1.6.0, then don't. I'm checking some things right now...

Also from what I've read, if the GP is recording video, it can't auto switch to image mode via software. It seems to be a limitation of the GP api/herobus and not 3DR. So, stop all recording before entering pano mode.

I have 1.6.0 on my tablet, and I thought I had 1.5.3 on my phone, but do not. They are both updated to 1.6.0. RPAP37 and Nick - you are correct (below).

I have GP4B set to Video default externally from the 3DR App and ProTune and EV are both available in settings on the App and do not change unless I change them.

However, when I switch to photo mode in the App (either 2.3.0 or 2.4.1-5 and both running with 1.6.0), the App appears to take photos but switches back to Video and takes video - no photos. If I select Burst mode, the App will stay in Burst and function as advertised. If I then switch to Photo, the App switches back to Burst and takes bursts. It happily does everything you ask EXCEPT take single photos.

Apparently I updated to 1.6.0 on both my devices - why did I do that; now I can't test 1.5.3 with anything. Just glad I don't have any mission-critical assignments and that this is but a hobby.

Oh, another thing... when testing all this on my tablet, 1.6.0 crashed with a splash screen while running 2.4.1-5 with it, but restarted automatically and then crashed again.

I'm thinking 1.6.0 is buggy, but can't test 1.5.3.

I am running some tests now w/ 2.4.1-5 and 1.6.0 using GP4B with latest FW.
STANDBY!

In the meantime:
Are you running 3DR Services version 1.6.0, beta 2 or the old 1.5.3?
(I may just have detected something buggy w/ 1.6.0)
Is your GoPro updated with the latest FW?

In the past GP didn't play well with Solo and is based on the GP model and specific FW each GP model is running, i.e.: 3+ Silver you cannot update to latest FW or won't get video feed, 3+ Black you must update to latest FW, but will still have limited functionality compared to GP4 Black where you must update to latest FW for (near) full functionality. It's a mess, but any GP troubleshooting help requested on the forum will have to include stating the GP Model.

Also (and going by memory of what I read in a post here), GP4B should be set (externally from the Solo) to Video only as a default and then the Solo App will be able to select Video+Photo or Photo. I don't exactly take copious notes, but it seems that after I did this, ProTune was available AND EV did not reset. That has held true no matter what App version or Betaware I've run.

If someone here hasn't updated to 1.6.0, then don't. I'm checking some things right now...

Running 3DR Services V1.6.0-Beta.2. I'm running a Hero4 black latest firmware.

Everything was working fine a few days ago before updating the Firmware on the Solo. GP is set to Video only as usual. I am 100% sure this is a solo firmware issue, I only updated to the latest an hour before the problematic flight. However the app and services could have auto updated in the background.

I have 1.6.0 on my tablet, and I thought I had 1.5.3 on my phone, but do not. They are both updated to 1.6.0. RPAP37 and Nick - you are correct (below).

I have GP4B set to Video default externally from the 3DR App and ProTune and EV are both available in settings on the App and do not change unless I change them.

However, when I switch to photo mode in the App (either 2.3.0 or 2.4.1-5 and both running with 1.6.0), the App appears to take photos but switches back to Video and takes video - no photos. If I select Burst mode, the App will stay in Burst and function as advertised. If I then switch to Photo, the App switches back to Burst and takes bursts. It happily does everything you ask EXCEPT take single photos.

Apparently I updated to 1.6.0 on both my devices - why did I do that; now I can't test 1.5.3 with anything. Just glad I don't have any mission-critical assignments and that this is but a hobby.

Oh, another thing... when testing all this on my tablet, 1.6.0 crashed with a splash screen while running 2.4.1-5 with it, but restarted automatically and then crashed again.

I'm thinking 1.6.0 is buggy, but can't test 1.5.3.

on my unsupported Tablet I had services crash 5/6 times while trying to start the update, a restart seemed to make things stable :S

Running 3DR Services V1.6.0-Beta.2. I'm running a Hero4 black latest firmware.

Everything was working fine a few days ago before updating the Firmware on the Solo. GP is set to Video only as usual. I am 100% sure this is a solo firmware issue, I only updated to the latest an hour before the problematic flight. However the app and services could have auto updated in the background.
Nick Marolf appears to be running 2.4.1-3, you... 2.4.1-5. The 2.4.X betas have been updating Solo and controller FW. If the 2.4.X is an issue, a factory reset and then running release version 2.3 App should get you back to 2.3 Solo and controller FW - I think. Don't know what to tell you about the dastardly 1.6.0.

Nick Marolf appears to be running 2.4.1-3, you... 2.4.1-5. The 2.4.X betas have been updating Solo and controller FW. If the 2.4.X is an issue, a factory reset and then running release version 2.3 App should get you back to 2.3 Solo and controller FW - I think. Don't know what to tell you about the dastardly 1.6.0.

Sounds like a plan, That shall be my mission tomorrow while at work! I shall obviously report back if it works! haha

Sounds like a plan, That shall be my mission tomorrow while at work! I shall obviously report back if it works! haha
Report back if it doesn't work, too. ;)

BTW, 3dr warns against doing factory resets without talking (chatting) with them first and let them do their trouble-shooting thing. I waited 2 days to chat to 3dr when I forgot my SoloLink password - just so they could tell me to go ahead and do a factory reset. o_O Now I don't hesitate. You will have to calibrate again, however. And remove your GP, GP battery, etc, etc, yada-yada-yada.

Read this so that you are an informed consumer...
Factory Reset | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology

Report back if it doesn't work, too. ;)

BTW, 3dr warns against doing factory resets without talking (chatting) with them first and let them do their trouble-shooting thing. I waited 2 days to chat to 3dr when I forgot my SoloLink password - just so they could tell me to go ahead and do a factory reset. o_O Now I don't hesitate. You will have to calibrate again, however. And remove your GP, GP battery, etc, etc, yada-yada-yada.

Read this so that you are an informed consumer...
Factory Reset | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology

haha I know the feeling, I did exactly the same, since then I have possibly reset 5-6 times? I know what will fix my issue so why not jump kind of thing. I will consult with them before biting the bullet, can't imagine much support on a Sunday haha

I've also got this problem, I tried reinstalling 3dr services, beta app..Did a factory reset and tried again still no go. I have since done another reset and installed release firmware and all is good.
whoever is having this issue should go to the solo beta test face book page and report it as of 5 min ago Im the only one who mentioned it
Facebook

I've also got this problem, I tried reinstalling 3dr services, beta app..Did a factory reset and tried again still no go. I have since done another reset and installed release firmware and all is good.
whoever is having this issue should go to the solo beta test face book page and report it as of 5 min ago Im the only one who mentioned it
Facebook

I have been reporting to the Google+ Page.

I have been reporting to the Google+ Page.
didn't know there was a google+ page I Know Phu Nguyen the main guy overseeing the updates is on the Facebook page a lot.
do you have a link for the google+ page?
never mind i googled it and found it...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso