Solo Antenna vs DJI Mavick

Reaction score
I have been filming work on a pipeline that has posed some serious challenges due to environmental situations. The primary issue is trees. A lot of this pipeline work is basically done in a tunnel of trees with a 10 ft wide channel at the top. Getting GPS connection (even with mRo upgrade and cardboard) and maintaining connectivity to the remote has been a constant struggle.

There are a lot of posts on this forum about obstructions that cause connection loss. Although I assumed the omni directional antennas that come with the solo may be a best fit for these situations, others have remarked that the FPVLRs with signal boosters may provide the punch to maintain connectivity. Would love to hear anyones experience with that.

On a related note, I was on the job site with a guy that had a Mavick Pro. To say that I was impressed with the abilities of this drone vs my 3dr would be an understatement.

He set his drone on the hood of his truck and took off without bothering to get GPS. As soon as he was close to the tree canopy he got GPS signal....this was within 30 seconds of setting the drone on his hood. However, his drone was stable prior to this, I suppose due to the optical stabilization that DJI has built into their drones that we will likely never see on a DJI, at least a consumer model.

Where the Mavick really shines was in maintaining connection though. He had was not pointing the controller anywhere near the drone, and was not even under the slit in the canopy that would provide a direct line to the drone....he was basically in the woods. He flew this thing a mile away, over the trees, over a huge concrete bridge....I mean things I would never dream of doing. During all this he had full connectivity...full bars. His drone is completely stock. What gives?

Is there anything that would make this kind of performance possible in a 3DR?

What is DJI doing that makes connectivity to the drone so much better?

I have to say, after many struggles with GoPros, the gimbals incompatibility with a 4k GoPro, no controllable gimbal for any better camera, 3DR shifting away from consumer features, and the aftermarket seaming to lose interest in any new meaningful upgrades, I am kind of having buyers remorse.

I recently replaced the wifi cards in both the Solo and Controller on one of my birds. I now have enough signal to fly behind buildings and trees with no problems. Although I don't care about range as much, that has increased significantly too. In addition, I can run the stock antennas and put away the directional antennas.

Interesting. What cards did you use, and if I can ask, where did you get them?

I have seen a lot of bad feedback from others that have replaced their cards....either no improvement, or worse, broken drones. For instance, see comments here....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

...in your opinion is this just a bad product, or user error?

Regarding your install, are you able to just deal with a branch in the way, or rather are you able to fly over a forest of trees, with likely many trees blocking the line between controller and drone?

Last edited:
Dji uses a non standards-compliant, custom protocol within the 2.4Ghz band. They also accept a much lower level of signal as 'good link'.That, combined with utilizing up to 6 channels of 2.4Ghz thru bonding and frequency-hopping, tends to lead to better performance.

I have noticed that I lose 10dBi of signal when a Mavic is in the area. Which is probably caused by their custom protocol, I'm guessing.

Dji uses a non standards-compliant, custom protocol within the 2.4Ghz band. They also accept a much lower level of signal as 'good link'.That, combined with utilizing up to 6 channels of 2.4Ghz thru bonding and frequency-hopping, tends to lead to better performance.

I have noticed that I lose 10dBi of signal when a Mavic is in the area. Which is probably caused by their custom protocol, I'm guessing.

So what you are saying is a DJI will have better performance no matter what in terms of signal, but DJI owners are signal selfish :)

Unless the OpenSolo effort can move to the new 802.11ac/ax or possibly to 802.11ad (900 mhz). Either would allow for greater "punch".

In the meantime, is the best option the Mikrotik R11e-2HND wifi upgrade, with FPVLR antennas, and sunhan signal boosters?

Looking at all these upgrades and what I already have into my drone, I feel like I am at this crossroads where I have to determine whether or not to continue sinking money into this drone, or just go get a Mavic or Phantom that have features that 3DR will likely never have without more aftermarket momentum than what currently exists.

No one here can tell you when to do that. We're mostly big fans of the customizability of this platform, which you won't find on DJI product. I personally need something that *I* can work on and change/upgrade as needed.

But you have to make decisions for yourself.

DJI does have some magic going on in their link. If you need the range to accomplish your mission, switching to DJI might be the best choice.
If you do switch, you can keep your Solo as a backup system and for use when DJI thinks you are in a no-fly zone. Probably the best of both worlds.

We're mostly big fans of the customizability of this platform, which you won't find on DJI product. I personally need something that *I* can work on and change/upgrade as needed.

I hear you there Bruce, from my standpoint and primary purpose (videography), it seems like every customization I would make would be to gain what DJI already has...better camera, with a good Gimbal, stabilization, range, connectivity. I doubt all DJIs capabilities could be met with a 3DR and not sure what it has that DJI hasn't already met...could be wrong, and if I am would love to hear what that may be (not being a jerk - serious question).

DJI does have some magic going on in their link. If you need the range to accomplish your mission, switching to DJI might be the best choice.
If you do switch, you can keep your Solo as a backup system and for use when DJI thinks you are in a no-fly zone. Probably the best of both worlds.

I think this is probably the direction I am heading in.

I'm the same as Bruce, a DIY guy.
In addition I'm a software engineer that understands the power of Open Source software and the community behind it. I've been flying with 3DR stuff when the first APM board came out a few years ago. Having said that, I have one buddy where DJI is perfect for him--he doesn't feel the need for tweaking.

Imo it's like anything in life . Use the best tool to get the job done. In this case you had the opportunity to see what a mp can do for your specific use case. A mp for what you want to accomplish is a no Brainer from where I sit. My mp is great but I'm a software guy and like to tweak and that is why I am jumping into the cheap end of the 3dr.

Note. I would not recommend launching your mp until you have the green ready to fly aka.. Gps lock. It literally takes less than fifteen seconds for me and is well worth it.

Last edited:

I have seen a lot of bad feedback from others that have replaced their cards....either no improvement, or worse, broken drones. For instance, see comments here....

Regarding your install, are you able to just deal with a branch in the way, or rather are you able to fly over a forest of trees, with likely many trees blocking the line between controller and drone?
I got my cards from ISPSupplies, http://www.ispsupplies.com/MikroTik-R11e-2HnD

To be honest, most of what I have seen in the feedback is user error. Solo thinks the new wifi cards are v4 of the stock cards which report as v3. More power (800mw) is really most of the magic.

I did this mod. to two solos and two transmitters. Easy to do and for me resulted in far greater line-of-sight range improvement than did any of the antenna options. I've not found anything that helps a whole lot with "punch": leaves are good at blocking the Solo RF. Maybe a chainsaw.

Reactions: carpy
Really appreciate everyones feedback. I think my mind is made up...I am going to do the card upgrades and probably get some FPVLR antennas. Maybe a hero 4 black and antenna boosters at some point, but ultimately, I think a Mavic or Phantom is in my not too distant future. I'll have a backup. Two very good drones; one I know I can rely on for hairy situations / obstructions and another that is equally as capable for typical situations.

That said, I would be very interested in hearing areas where you all feel the 3DR excels in terms of features and performance beyond a Mavic, price and open source flexibility aside.

Reactions: Ralph E. Johnson
Really appreciate everyones feedback. I think my mind is made up...I am going to do the card upgrades and probably get some FPVLR antennas. Maybe a hero 4 black and antenna boosters at some point, but ultimately, I think a Mavic or Phantom is in my not too distant future. I'll have a backup. Two very good drones; one I know I can rely on for hairy situations / obstructions and another that is equally as capable for typical situations.

That said, I would be very interested in hearing areas where you all feel the 3DR excels in terms of features and performance beyond a Mavic, price and open source flexibility aside.

The answer I've gotten over and over is smart shots. 3DR has better smart shots. I really don't see it since the Mavic has a ton of smart shots. An awesome follow me mode. Tapfly. Etc.

The Solo is faster and it allows you to fly it without any computer assistance. Not for the faint of heart, though. Then there's the "tinker" reason. I guess if you want to tear the thing apart and replace existing components with what they should have used in the first place... For me it's the difference between buying an old basic model car and installing power windows, a stereo, sunroof, rims, leather seats, remote start, etc and buying a new fully loaded car with all of that in it in the first place.

I'm a curious case because I have a Solo, Karma and Mavic. I really wanted the better camera (Hero 5) and I had heard so much hate for DJI from everyone here that I ponied up for the Karma. It seemed to have the same specs as the Solo plus a few more features/gadgets. It also suffered from the same problems, lack of range, loss of gps, etc. Now that's where the Solo is better because you can improve some of that through mods. Both are basically decorating a shelf these days since I bought my Mavic.

I'm sure a bunch of these guys will pounce on me but I really don't see what the Solo has over the Mavic. Heck, as I've pointed out in the past, even price isn't that far off. Especially if you do all of those modifications. Speaking of mods, did you know you can buy complete prop cages for the Mavic? Perfect for flying around trees. As far as no fly zones go, I've never encountered one, not once in about 30 flights. I've gotten a couple warnings but never a complete block out. I never try to fly around air ports anyway so...

Bottom line, I never lose video feed. I never lose gps. I never lose signal. I don't worry about which component I turn on first or whatever. It's ready to go about as fast as I can unpack it. The dang thing just works every time for me. I carry it everywhere I go in a back pack. The bag it came in is about the size of a happy meal. For an extra $100 you can buy DJI care refresh that will replace your drone for $80 if you crash it.

Here's a pic with the cage on it. $160 for the kit. Otherwise, the regular guards are $15 a set.

mobile_1c94738d-5e35-4619-92d9-340122fc7dd1.jpg

SPEED.

Wind handling and stability.

Ability to change the camera. To whatever I'd like as long as it generally weighs about the same as a GoPro.

Accessory bay. For grippers, or radar, or whatever else one can dream up.

Durability. I saw a Mavic taken down by a half-inch thick tree branch. I've seen Solos bounce off of *Tower Cranes* and KEEP FLYING.

Just off the top of my head.

SPEED.

Wind handling and stability.

Ability to change the camera. To whatever I'd like as long as it generally weighs about the same as a GoPro.

Accessory bay. For grippers, or radar, or whatever else one can dream up.

Durability. I saw a Mavic taken down by a half-inch thick tree branch. I've seen Solos bounce off of *Tower Cranes* and KEEP FLYING.

Just off the top of my head.

Hmm that's fair about the cameras, as long as you don't want a gimbal. I tried the Solo with the Hero 5 and it wasn't cutting it for me. Too shaky. I also missed being able to raise and lower the camera. Oh and as long as you don't want to control your camera with the remote.

I really liked the concept of the accessory bay as well... So where are you getting all of those accessories? I've never seen even one. Have you made grippers or a radar for your Solo? Polar Pro made lights at least. Of course, I'm not sure why you'd want to shorten your flight time even more since no one ever came up with the extended batteries we were promised at launch.

It depends what it hits and where....one of my Solos was taken out by a wire. Only a Hex can survive that one. Any contact that results in a lost blade and it's game over. One thing I'll say for folding props, my Karma caught a tree branch with the props and managed to right itself because the prop folded and unfolded. The stock Solo blades are super brittle. I've destroyed plenty of them! Hahaha!

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to hammer you or anything but when I was having doubts about the Solo after a failure, I let you guys brow beat me into throwing more money at it. The Solo is that classic car you tinker with on weekends, fast, cool, heavily modded, but not completely reliable and the Mavic is the Honda Civic you drive to work everyday, dependable, all the amenities, turn the key and go.

Putting all the cards on the table...I have the same feelings Lon. I bought the 3DR based on their approach of the open source platform. My assumptions were that a strong aftermarket would follow which would allow for improvements to my 1 drone vs buying a new drone with DJI to get those features.

I do a lot of web work with open source platforms, so I am on-board with the concept, but the problem with open source is that you have to be a developer or the platform needs the critical mass of users necessary to attract developers. It seems that this critical mass was never reached with 3DR, and combined with their shift away from the consumer space, the fruits of the platform for the average man were never realized.

I am at a point now with extra batteries, hard case, gimbal, my second GoPro (that half works after the first was complete crap), GPS upgrade, compatible tablet, etc etc that I could have just bought a Mavic. By the time I get done with wifi cards, FPVLR antennas, and signal boosters I could have had a Phantom 4 Pro.

My takeaways from this whole situation....

1) If you want to tinker with drones and you have the aspirations to be, or are, a software engineer, or create accessories with 3D printing, or something similar, 3DR is great, but you should realize that there are things that will likely never be obtainable that already exist on the DJIs. That said you may be able to create something really cool that the closed system DJI provides would never accommodate.

2) If videography or photography is your thing, and want to be able to handle an array of environmental situations, save yourself the time, frustrations, and get yourself a Phantom for what will equate to be a similar investment of money.

Putting all the cards on the table...I have the same feelings Lon. I bought the 3DR based on their approach of the open source platform. My assumptions were that a strong aftermarket would follow which would allow for improvements to my 1 drone vs buying a new drone with DJI to get those features.

I do a lot of web work with open source platforms, so I am on-board with the concept, but the problem with open source is that you have to be a developer or the platform needs the critical mass of users necessary to attract developers. It seems that this critical mass was never reached with 3DR, and combined with their shift away from the consumer space, the fruits of the platform for the average man were never realized.

I am at a point now with extra batteries, hard case, gimbal, my second GoPro (that half works after the first was complete crap), GPS upgrade, compatible tablet, etc etc that I could have just bought a Mavic. By the time I get done with wifi cards, FPVLR antennas, and signal boosters I could have had a Phantom 4 Pro.

My takeaways from this whole situation....

1) If you want to tinker with drones and you have the aspirations to be, or are, a software engineer, or create accessories with 3D printing, or something similar, 3DR is great, but you should realize that there are things that will likely never be obtainable that already exist on the DJIs. That said you may be able to create something really cool that the closed system DJI provides would never accommodate.

2) If videography or photography is your thing, and want to be able to handle an array of environmental situations, save yourself the time, frustrations, and get yourself a Phantom for what will equate to be a similar investment of money.

Thanks! That's what I was trying to say. I've been told that my "writing style" is bad but I'm just trying to save "this guy", ie you the problems and frustrations that I faced for a year and a half. Not to mention the money I invested. I literally have been told by people here that the Mavic's range is a bad thing because it takes you out of line of sight. In my experience, it's far easier to under-utilize a performance feature than it is force/mod a system to perform better.

When I was flying my Solo, I got nervous over 500' or so, similarly with my Karma. With the Mavic, I find myself 1500' away without realizing it all the time. The other problem I have with extending the range is that you're not extending the flight time and as far as I know, the Solo initiates low battery RTH based on a percentage and not by how much battery you need to get back.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig