Solo app video choppy

Reaction score
I noticed on the two flights I did, the video on the Solo app was choppy and not really clear. (disappointing if that's what we have to work with)

I am using an older Android Tablet from Verizon (LG G-Pad x8.3) and it has a 1.8Ghz processor.

Could this be the issue with the choppy video? I was no farther away then maybe 60-70 feet each time.

I have a Nexus 6 that I will try this weekend. It has a 2.7Ghz processor.

Thanks for any input or assistance.

I noticed on the two flights I did, the video on the Solo app was choppy and not really clear. (disappointing if that's what we have to work with)

I am using an older Android Tablet from Verizon (LG G-Pad x8.3) and it has a 1.8Ghz processor.

Could this be the issue with the choppy video? I was no farther away then maybe 60-70 feet each time.

I have a Nexus 6 that I will try this weekend. It has a 2.7Ghz processor.

Thanks for any input or assistance.
It could very well be the tablet you are using. Some Android tablets handle the live-stream better than others. Of course when you load the video off of your GoPro SD Card onto your computer it will be MUCH higher quality than the live feed, which is really just there to help you frame shots.

There are a bunch of other issues that could be causing a choppy live-feed. Your antennas may be oriented incorrectly (or not securely screwed in all the way). You may need to update the firmware on your GoPro, on the Solo, or on the controller.

Here is a GoPro live feed checklist that helps a lot of people:
  1. Update GoPro firmware.
  2. Update Solo app, the Solo itself and Controller.
  3. Now double check that you really did update the GoPro firmware.
  4. Make sure GoPro is firmly seated into back connector on gimbal, and make sure HDMI cable is firmly plugged in.
  5. Try changing camera type in the Solo app to a different model, and then back to the correct model.
  6. Turn everything off, then power up GoPro first, then Solo, then Controller, then connect tablet/phone to Solo wifi, then launch Solo app.
  7. Test GoPro HDMI out on a TV (requires cable)
  8. Borrow another GoPro and test it in your Solo. (but make sure it's firmware is up to date!)
  9. Send support ticket to 3DR
Also, here is a 3DR Support article - Troubleshooting | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

I just recently developed this problem as well. Up until this weekend I never had an issue with the video feed. I went on vacation to Vermont and I was REALLY looking forward to getting some good footage in the mountains and valleys up there. First day, everything was fine, Solo flew great, video was fine, no issues at all but I had to cut the flight short after about a minute because it was a bit windy. Next day everything was perfect, sunny, no wind, warmer temps. But...no video feed. The screen was black most of them time, and when I actually got a feed, it looked like the picture attached. :(

Another weird thing I noticed on the first flight was that 1) no audio was recorded, and 2) the video that I recorded showed the GoPro settings and time on the video...which never happened before.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.PNG
    IMG_0020.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
I just recently developed this problem as well. Up until this weekend I never had an issue with the video feed. I went on vacation to Vermont and I was REALLY looking forward to getting some good footage in the mountains and valleys up there. First day, everything was fine, Solo flew great, video was fine, no issues at all but I had to cut the flight short after about a minute because it was a bit windy. Next day everything was perfect, sunny, no wind, warmer temps. But...no video feed. The screen was black most of them time, and when I actually got a feed, it looked like the picture attached. :(

Another weird thing I noticed on the first flight was that 1) no audio was recorded, and 2) the video that I recorded showed the GoPro settings and time on the video...which never happened before.
Try the following:
- Reformat your SD card.
- Try changing camera type in the Solo app to a different model, and then back to the correct model.

Tom,
I also notice the difference in video feed quality between my iPhone and my Asus ZenPad S 8.0. The iPhone is much more stable and not choppy. However, I just updated the Solo to the 2.1.1 firmware, so I will have to see if this improves the condition.

frases

Having video feed problems as well & it just started. Checked all connections & reloaded app & updated GP. The video is freezing in & out. The gimbal is the second one that was just installed a week ago w/about 5 hrs & also reinstalled the stock HDMI cable w/vibe isolation. Had the Relish on the original gimbal. Now I haven't been able to test anywhere else except in WiFi congested area. Past few days & also when this issue started, its been heavy low cloud cover. Not sure if that has any affect or not. I'm using the Nvidia Shield tab. Haven't tried my iPad Air I initially used when I first got SOLO. I'll try that when weather breaks a little

**UPDATE** Not sure what's up w/the Shield because that seems to be the problem. Used my iPad & no more video issues. The issues started on the Shield when I tried using the HeadPlay set w/HDMI cable plugged into Shield. Not sure why that is as of yet

Last edited:
Well, it seems the recent update fixed this issue for me. I was able to stream the video without issue on the tablet. The phone works, too!

Tom,
I also notice the difference in video feed quality between my iPhone and my Asus ZenPad S 8.0. The iPhone is much more stable and not choppy. However, I just updated the Solo to the 2.1.1 firmware, so I will have to see if this improves the condition.

frases

I've used my iPhone 6S from day 1 and never had a single issue.

Oddly enough, my issues started just after I performed the latest update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44