Solos at 6500 feet

Reaction score
Anybody flying at a thin air high altitude as of yet? The air is thinner so the motor works harder. Would carbon fiber props be any benefit? I know that a thin air decent is going to involve more patience. Any thoughts appreciated.

Lake County Airport in Leadvile CO airport has an altitude of 10,000 feet. Try to leave at 3pm fully loaded in the summer you may have an unpleasant surprise.

Most of my flying has been in the desert, some in Virginia. I would like to go to a higher elevation and test out a different geology and elevation and see how Solo does. Waiting on batteries. Can't do much with one battery. New Mexico is my next stop.

I've had my Solo since Thursday and have been flying in various places from 4700 - 6500 feet. Descents do seem strenuous but I'm just comparing to YouTube videos as I have no previous copter-flying experience to work with.

How to carbon fiber props help with altitude? I know their rigidity can reduce vibrations; does that somehow provide benefits in thin air as well?

A CF Prop at sea level and thick air takes some of the work off the motors and provide better flight times and better handling IMHO. From what I have read at this point, which is not much, in thin air CF props might help with the flight times which are lower at higher altitudes. Not sure. Still looking for more information.

A variable pitch propeller would be interesting.....

I live at 5400 feet and no problems at all. Once I get a gimbal I plan on taking it up to 10k. I have some mountan property I would like to fly over.

A variable pitch prop on a quad kinda blows your mind Saw this vid a while back and it always has been in the back of my mind.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Getting a pitch angle versus altitude would be an interesting test. Hmm more food for thought.

RotoFan. Love it. At 10K you might just be a satellite as well. How long will a battery last. Gotta blow through the pack fast. One of the Skycatch guys in Nepal a few months back said he was getting like 3 minutes on his Phantom 2 at 8000 feet in winds.

Reactions: cbs
Here is a youtube video of a multi-copter over Como Colorado (elevation 9,813 feet). Just down the road from my property to the north where you see the mountains. I would like to try some AP with the solo as this is cool area for historical perspective. We will see how well the Solo does. The pilot was not running a gimbal so lots of jello :)

Here is a youtube video of a multi-copter over Como Colorado (elevation 9,813 feet). Just down the road from my property to the north where you see the mountains. I would like to try some AP with the solo as this is cool area for historical perspective. We will see how well the Solo does. The pilot was not running a gimbal so lots of jello :)

Beautiful area for flying. Gimbal & some tight views at sunset could be awesome. When Tower gets finalized for Solo you should have some great opportunities.

Rather old post but rare to find serouis people looking for answer on this subject.
Ususally CF prop molding result in a more precise product, being more rigid also helps to keep the angles as they should be under load. For vibration this is again usually du to better molds but I would suggest to always put any prop on the balancer.

For thinner air the most effective prop should be longer, keeping the same pitch. But we soon run into props overlapping. Prop shaft extension on 2 opposite props to set them 1 inch higher? Any one ever experienced this? If this would be possible flight time should be similar.

Last edited:
An old quick and dirty formula for prop loading : Dia X Dia X pitch = Prop load.
Solo standard props being 10 X 10 X 4.5 = 450

At 12 000 ft the air lost about 1/3 of it's density.

I'm looking to increase prop loading by 1/3. (450 + 1/3 = about 600).

APC offers props by dia increment of 1 inch and only 4.5 and 5.5 pitch.
I would start with 11 X 5.5 and trim them down to 10.5 this would keep the prop loading within 10% of my target. They would fit without overlap.

My only problem I live at 1000 ft ASL (above sea level) and plan to go to Peru where there will be no options available there if the bird can't fly.

Any one with experience at this altitude?

I have Heliciel software to test anything but I would need solid data on standard props and APC to get solid results. Any one have the airfoil ref of those props?

An old quick and dirty formula for prop loading : Dia X Dia X pitch = Prop load.
Solo standard props being 10 X 10 X 4.5 = 450

At 12 000 ft the air lost about 1/3 of it's density.

I'm looking to increase prop loading by 1/3. (450 + 1/3 = about 600).

APC offers props by dia increment of 1 inch and only 4.5 and 5.5 pitch.
I would start with 11 X 5.5 and trim them down to 10.5 this would keep the prop loading within 10% of my target. They would fit without overlap.

My only problem I live at 1000 ft ASL (above sea level) and plan to go to Peru where there will be no options available there if the bird can't fly.

Any one with experience at this altitude?

I have Heliciel software to test anything but I would need solid data on standard props and APC to get solid results. Any one have the airfoil ref of those props?
What kind of hover time are you able to get with the Solo at 10k ASL?

Also, are you sure you'd need to cut down 11inch props? Based on nothing more than an eyeball test, I think they should fit without overlap.

I' planning to go to Peru and I live in Canada 1000 ft ASL = Cannot test until I get there @ end of March.

To get the prop load on target (1/3 more than stock) props 10.5 dia X 5.5 pitch = 1% from my 600 target.

I' planning to go to Peru and I live in Canada 1000 ft ASL = Cannot test until I get there @ end of March.

To get the prop load on target (1/3 more than stock) props 10.5 dia X 5.5 pitch = 1% from my 600 target.
My bad. I read that part of your post wrong I thought you lived at 10,000 ASL, not 1,000 ASL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso