Wifi Mod complete

just be careful as there are two different chipsets ! theres a low powered version..

Would it be possible to use the HPnD in the controller and the HnD in the bird? Understanding the connections are different and may need to mod the HPnD.

I believe I recall he HPnD has heat sinks that won't allow it to fit,and if removed the board will cook.

Could be wrong on the models though.. The Solo Mod FB group has many people versed in this mod

Would it be possible to use the HPnD in the controller and the HnD in the bird? Understanding the connections are different and may need to mod the HPnD.
Based on what we can see in the config files, Solo and the controller may be limiting these cards to a maximum of 500mW output. This isn't confirmed through testing, but it would mean the extra effort to fit the 1000mW card might be more trouble than it's worth.

Do you only fly alone? If not, the higher power transmit will make it more likely your flying companions will have a harder time flying with you.

I have only swapped out my controller card so far and with just one ALFA antenna, I've gotten much better consistency and range already. Combined with the hostapd.conf edits, I've already got more range than I need for line of sight in a very dense urban area.

Unfortunately, my gimbal needs to be RMA'd so I'll wait until it's all settled before I modify my Solo wifi card and antenna. I'm now more after wide coverage and consistent video streaming with minimal aiming, since 4000ft+ is plenty far for LOS flying.

Based on what we can see in the config files, Solo and the controller may be limiting these cards to a maximum of 500mW output. This isn't confirmed through testing, but it would mean the extra effort to fit the 1000mW card might be more trouble than it's worth.

Do you only fly alone? If not, the higher power transmit will make it more likely your flying companions will have a harder time flying with you.

I have only swapped out my controller card so far and with just one ALFA antenna, I've gotten much better consistency and range already. Combined with the hostapd.conf edits, I've already got more range than I need for line of sight in a very dense urban area.

Unfortunately, my gimbal needs to be RMA'd so I'll wait until it's all settled before I modify my Solo wifi card and antenna. I'm now more after wide coverage and consistent video streaming with minimal aiming, since 4000ft+ is plenty far for LOS flying.
I was told the 800mw MicroTik cards work at 800mw out of the box with Solo. No config changes needed. Just remove them on updates, but bitcoins be good to get derisive confirmation of that.

I haven't found they are needed after I made the config.apd changes that open up all the WiFi channels allowing Solo to choose the least used, and got an FPVLR V1 antenna.

People that swapped them though, get the expected improvements in distance (average 1.2 miles) with stock antennas, which would be consistent with 800mw.

I was told the 800mw MicroTik cards work at 800mw out of the box with Solo. No config changes needed. Just remove them on updates, but bitcoins be good to get derisive confirmation of that.

I haven't found they are needed after I made the config.apd changes that open up all the WiFi channels allowing Solo to choose the least used, and got an FPVLR V1 antenna.

People that swapped them though, get the expected improvements in distance (average 1.2 miles) with stock antennas, which would be consistent with 800mw.

Yup it would be nice to have some confirmation on the configuration/wifi card output power limits but I admit I haven't been pursuing it.

On this site, @NYG posted here that the stock cards are only 21dBm
WiFi Card upgrade testing

@NYG also posted this :

power=`cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/power` <-
The output of this is 30
if [ $power -gt 27 ]; then power=27; fi
echo "$power"
return 0
}

Which appears to be logic to limit the card to 27dBm (500mW).

Have you seen others who have posted results on the output power? Would be nice to see.

Yup it would be nice to have some confirmation on the configuration/wifi card output power limits but I admit I haven't been pursuing it.

On this site, @NYG posted here that the stock cards are only 21dBm

@NYG also posted this :

power=`cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/power` <-
The output of this is 30
if [ $power -gt 27 ]; then power=27; fi
echo "$power"
return 0
}

Which appears to be logic to limit the card to 27dBm (500mW).

Have you seen others who have posted results on the output power? Would be nice to see.
I asked @NYG if it works, but no reply?

Sent from the 4th dimension using my Nexus 6

I don't think he's been pursuing it either. I think the current range increases have been enough. :D
Yes I can understand that and appreciate it but, why would somebody put that up without at least testing it to see if it does work or not? I would try it, if I had the new WiFi cards.

Yes I can understand that and appreciate it but, why would somebody put that up without at least testing it to see if it does work or not? I would try it, if I had the new WiFi cards.

I am assuming you mean testing these config files and posting the exact power output?

I don't think we have the equipment to measure the signal strength coming from the cards. My friend in Asia has a metre that you connect to the transmitter. But I definitely don't have one. Makes testing difficult. Also, modifying the config files to test does come with some risk. Other times I'm sick of tinkering and I just want to go fly and get some good video while the weather is still good :D Now if my darn gimbal didn't need to be RMA'd!....

@NYG reported what he could get out using command line and what he could find in the config files.

The MikroTik cards are rated on their spec sheet to output max 29dBm (800mW). Mind you this is at a particular data rate (typical), not across the entire usage range of the card.

We also know there are regulatory restrictions on wireless output depending on region - hence it's safe to assume that 3DR has put programming in place to ensure compliance when shipping internationally. We just haven't been able to confirm when and, using which files this programming is in effect.

Most of us are here like you - sharing information online while playing with our hobby - with varying levels of tech ability. The cards work for most people, we just might not be able to explain every part of it. ;)

Only you can decide if that's good enough to invest $40 (X2)? I can definitely say that regardless of wifi card or antenna mod - your results will vary based on your location and usage and you will need to find out what works for you.

Last edited:
I hadn't pursued the output power question any further. I have no way to really know if the commands are doing what's expected or any real way to measure.

Early on with a linux laptop I tried increasing the power of a stock card. The commands would take as if they worked, but an iwconfig always showed the card with a TX-Power of 21dBm.

Also the code on the Solo is just BS to list TX-Power.

I have the regulatory domain patched on the drivers and have been using WiFi channel 13. That along with whatever power the cards are operating at has worked really well so I've been content with what I have.

In the sololink_config file this is the function they have to set TX-Power:

set_wifi_power() {
desiredPower="${1}"
if [[ $desiredPower =~ ^-?[0-9]+$ ]]; then
if [[ "$desiredPower" -lt 0 || "$desiredPower" -gt 27 ]]; then
echo "error: wifi power level must be between 0 and 27"
return 1
fi
else
echo "error: attempting to set wifi power to non-integer"
return 1
fi

echo "$desiredPower"
iw phy0 set txpower fixed $((desiredPower*100))
return 0
}

That function restricts power to a max of 27dBm.

In the end though it's just executing this "iw phy0 set txpower fixed $((desiredPower*100))"

So if you wanted to set a TX-Power of 28dBm you would execute:

iw phy0 set txpower fixed 2800

Last edited:
I hadn't pursued the output power question any further. I have no way to really know if the commands are doing what's expected or any real way to measure.

Early on with a linux laptop I tried increasing the power of a stock card. The commands would take as if they worked, but an iwconfig always showed the card with a TX-Power of 21dBm.

Also the code on the Solo is just BS to list TX-Power.

I have the regulatory domain patched on the drivers and have been using WiFi channel 13. That along with whatever power the cards are operating at has worked really well so I've been content with what I have.

In the sololink_config file this is the function they have to set TX-Power:

set_wifi_power() {
desiredPower="${1}"
if [[ $desiredPower =~ ^-?[0-9]+$ ]]; then
if [[ "$desiredPower" -lt 0 || "$desiredPower" -gt 27 ]]; then
echo "error: wifi power level must be between 0 and 27"
return 1
fi
else
echo "error: attempting to set wifi power to non-integer"
return 1
fi

echo "$desiredPower"
iw phy0 set txpower fixed $((desiredPower*100))
return 0
}

That function restricts power to a max of 27dBm.

In the end though it's just executing this "iw phy0 set txpower fixed $((desiredPower*100))"

So if you wanted to set a TX-Power of 28dBm you would execute:

iw phy0 set txpower fixed 2800
I haven't pursued it either, and for the same resons... No need.... I do know though that many on the Solo Mod FB group have, and they are getting measured improvements from the stock cards, so with all those data points, something almost has to be different.

Just FYI, another option is the external amps for the controller. Several are using the Sunhaus units, and FPVLR sells them in a kit with cables etc.. A couple people are even printing brackets for them thaty attach to the controller.

I've been using the sanhaus Amps with fpvlr for a few weeks, works great. 1st time I did a direct comparison test today with the wifi software mod and a pair Alpha directionals. Lost signal with alphas at 1600ft (which is still way better than I get metro stock). Fpvlr amped hit the same spot at 4/5 bars still. More tests to come but it would send there is no substitute for Amps if you really want some solid extra metro range. I have that bracket, makes it easy.

Having said that 1600ft was only just los :) the mist on the lake is 1700ft from my place . I've gotten further non amped non metro as well.

I am assuming you mean testing these config files and posting the exact power output?

I don't think we have the equipment to measure the signal strength coming from the cards. My friend in Asia has a metre that you connect to the transmitter. But I definitely don't have one. Makes testing difficult. Also, modifying the config files to test does come with some risk. Other times I'm sick of tinkering and I just want to go fly and get some good video while the weather is still good :D Now if my darn gimbal didn't need to be RMA'd!....

@NYG reported what he could get out using command line and what he could find in the config files.

The MikroTik cards are rated on their spec sheet to output max 29dBm (800mW). Mind you this is at a particular data rate (typical), not across the entire usage range of the card.

We also know there are regulatory restrictions on wireless output depending on region - hence it's safe to assume that 3DR has put programming in place to ensure compliance when shipping internationally. We just haven't been able to confirm when and, using which files this programming is in effect.

Most of us are here like you - sharing information online while playing with our hobby - with varying levels of tech ability. The cards work for most people, we just might not be able to explain every part of it. ;)

Only you can decide if that's good enough to invest $40 (X2)? I can definitely say that regardless of wifi card or antenna mod - your results will vary based on your location and usage and you will need to find out what works for you.
Didn't know what was involved in determining power out put.
agreed, lets enjoy what we have and work on this later.
Just got my gimbal today. Everything perfect, from install to quick 10 min. Test flight. Seen many videos, but when its on your on own equipment, wow!

Hope you get your back soon [emoji3]

I have a few Sunhans amps. They work well. The only downside is carrying more gear and maintaining more batteries. If the wifi cards didn't solve my problems I would have used the amps on occasion.

When I had my P2V+ I had amps, batteries and long helical antennas on the controller. I just didn't want that again. I like a clean minimalist install. I do use the FPVLR now but the install is still nice and clean for what I'm looking for.

Reactions: Lamda
So guys, if you were to do one wi-fi mod, what would you think is the most effective one?

order i would do (and have done)

1. config mod to see improvement
2. alpa antenna mod (cheaper alternative and good range)
3. FPVLR mod before wifi card upgrade (the cards are good but best get antenna first)
4. wifi cards if necessary (which i think won't be)

Reactions: Ian [P13]
When buying those cards remember you got two series that will work in Solo without any modding, they both support ath9k driver;

1. R11e-2HnD 800mw(AR9580 chipset) this is the card you want to use, it runs 3x3:3 MIMO theoretical speed 450Mbps real speed 360Mbps....from my research on the forums this card have more success rate(UNCENSORED)

2. R11e-2HnD 800mw(AR9582-AR1A chipset) this card will also work but it has a lower data transfer rate 2x2:2 MIMO, most people that use this card did not see much differences in their range(CENSORED)

3. R11e-2HPnd 1000mw(AR9580 Chipset) high power, this card could work but would need some modding, the Heat Sink is very large and the antenna connectors are different from the one in the Solo controller and copter.
This is like an
OVERCLOCK version of the R11e-2HnD(AR9580)

I'm not familiar with the multiple chipsets being used other than it being mentioned that they exist. My cards show as this:

root@3dr_solo:~# lspci
00:00.0 PCI bridge: Device 16c3:abcd (rev 01)
01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9580 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

Hmmm. Nyg, did you get yours from roc-noc? My invoice says ar9580, but indeed what I received I can read on the chipset is AR9582-AR1A . Was just about to put them in, but maybe I should wait.

Eagle1, censored? Uncensored? Could you point me in the direction of the
AR9582-AR1A Being not as good?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150