Compression versus Tension - Gimbal

@RichWest I know @pyrate asked, but what size is that leather punch you are recommending?

Also I clicked on the link for the foam in pyrates post above and just took me to a page with lots of different foam. Could you please post a link to the product page of the foam you used? I will have to try and find something similar in Australia.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RichWest I know @pyrate asked, but what size is that leather punch you are recommending?

Also I clicked on the link for the foam in pyrates post above and just took me to a page with lots of different foam. Could you please post a link to the product page of the foam you used? I will have to try and find something similar in Australia.

Thanks.

On the page with lots of products from my link, look on the left side you will see a place to add quantity and click add to order

@pyrate Stock cable back in, were you using the Relish3D flat HDMI?

I got one of the very first ribbon cables made. Jumped right on it. Was very disappointed to find that it changed the nature of my vibrations but they continued. Up until now the motor swaps have had the most impact on vibrations.
I ordered the new version of the cable and had video feed problems right out of the gate. Took it back apart and one of the ends fell off the cable. Submitted for a return and never heard a thing, So I put my stock cable back in routed the right way. It is performing as good as the ribbon. No more ribbons for me

Reactions: Solo Keith

Any open cell foam material should work, as long as it's reasonable soft. Again its just acting as a support structure. Pick-n-pluck foam cubes may work, give that a try. Keep it around 16mm square and then nip the vertices to give it a somewhat rounded shape.

The punches are 1/4" (6mm) and 5/8" (16mm)

Ok cool thanks mate. I've got a pelican case with pick and pluck might steal some from that.

I should probably watch your video first. Can't get it to play on iOS device will try from my computer now.

@RichWest just watched your video, love the fishing line trick. Thanks again for putting this together for everyone. Should be easy to get this done, just need to find those hole punches. Did you get them from somewhere specific? Do you have a web link please?

I'm based in the US, so I mainly source my small amounts of material and specialty tools from McMaster-Carr. If you have a local hardware store, you could easily improvise a fairly decent punch from copper or steel tubing and a file.

Got myself an imperial size punch kit this afternoon. Tried some foam and went well but I stuffed up the gimbal isolator rubber thingy. Are you using a piece of dowell that you are putting into the isolator or is it a flat piece of timber?

Something like a popsicle stick will work fine, either of plastic or wood. Read back to the detailing post here for the mod, most everything is explained.

I hope you have more of the rubber thingies, you may want to buy two extra sets....;)

Tip of the hat to Rich, the fishing line was a nice touch was dreading digging through the garage looking for mine.
Install was smooth. fired it up to make sure I didn't disconnect anything in the surgery.
took the battery tray out to check wiring.
Hope to take it for a spin tomorrow.
Fully loaded gimbal with weight kit and filter did not seem to stress the system at all.
I will say this, I never had that much clearance between the yaw motor and the main board before.
Looks good for trial run

Reactions: RichWest
I'm excited for you, hope it makes improvements.

I will say this, I never had that much clearance between the yaw motor and the main board before.
Can you explain what you mean? Are you talking vertical height or something else?

Seeing into the future. My gut tells me the added weight is going give jello, micro vibes should be reduced however. If that turns out to be the case, a three hole version should reduce that effect.

You have the Polar Pro filters and Rib Cage weight, correct?

Tip of the hat to Rich, the fishing line was a nice touch was dreading digging through the garage looking for mine.
Install was smooth. fired it up to make sure I didn't disconnect anything in the surgery.
took the battery tray out to check wiring.
Hope to take it for a spin tomorrow.
Fully loaded gimbal with weight kit and filter did not seem to stress the system at all.
Looks good for trial run
Waiting for an answer, how was your flight?

Not verticle so much on the spacing, it just seems the gap from the board to the yaw motor is improved.
Batteries are charging. I do not fly in my neighborhood anymore. No one complained, but trying to be a responsible pilot
bought solo to work with me today where I have a big old open filed behind us.

Most likely will not be until 4 when I can try it. May get an openeing at lunch but who knows.

Best I can tell these are holding up to the weight of my polar pro filter and IMP balancing kit just fine

BTW the only other mod for gimbal present is the data cable is stripped.; My HDMI cable is stock and not stripped
No longer a beliver in the ribbon cable. I tried two of them with no real improvement

Thanks for your replies. It will be helpful for others "if" there are any issues. No problem on when, just that you are giving it a go is exciting.

I promoted the idea of the ribbon cable, but never bought into the solution as I had found the point of contact on the HDMI cable. Kudos to 3D Relish, they made a grand effort to help the community by providing an alternative HDMI cable solution. If it weren't for the PH2 location, the ribbon would have been the solution...can't know until you try.

Reactions: pyrate

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M