FPV goggles

Reaction score
I want to try SOLO using FPV goggles & am liking the Shark. Do the goggles plug straight into the controller or will I need adapter? Which would you recommend (model) to the pilots who are using them w/SOLO? Peace

You should be able to plug directly into the controller with the correct HDMI terminus. The only issue with FPV goggles is that I don't believe the telemetry data comes through the port on the controller. You'll have vision, but you won't be able to see battery level, signal strength, altitude, etc.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I want to try SOLO using FPV goggles & am liking the Shark. Do the goggles plug straight into the controller or will I need adapter? Which would you recommend (model) to the pilots who are using them w/SOLO? Peace

Solo,

If you use the Nvidia Shield you can plug the HDMI straight into the tablet. In doing so, you'll get everything that shows on your tablet. All telemetry data will be visible.

Jerry

I thought it only did the video feed, gopro data if you turn on OSD
did not think telemetry came out the hdmi out

ahhh got you, so you mean the HDMI out on shield not the controller
sorry misunderstood

never thought of doing it that way.

Solo,

If you use the Nvidia Shield you can plug the HDMI straight into the tablet. In doing so, you'll get everything that shows on your tablet. All telemetry data will be visible.

Jerry
I do have the Nvidia Shield that I just started using Monday. & BTW the video feed is perfect, unlike the iPad Air I was using before. It's one bad ass pad. Now knowing I can plug goggles right into it makes it even more bad ass. Had SOLO Simulator on my 50" tv using the Shield. Thanks for the referral the other day Jerry. I'm definitely happy with the Nvidia. Peace

only the dominator v3 and dominatorhd v2 work. the previous versions do not. and for some odd reason, hdmi cable that comes with them don't work. you'll need to use different micro hdmi to micro hdmi cable.

don't all of those support wireless FPV?

Is there such a thing as goggles with no wireless costs, just direct HDMI at lower cost?

don't all of those support wireless FPV?

Is there such a thing as goggles with no wireless costs, just direct HDMI at lower cost?

the only googles i have seen w/out a video receiver built-in has been the cinemizer oled's and they cost more than the fatsharks. the oleds are now discontinued and replaced with the VR One. The VR One is like Google cardboard where it uses your phone...so no hdmi input :(

Solo,

Put a 64gb card in the extra SD card slot, open up the built in recorder, change the quality to high and don't forget to record all of your flights!

Jerry
Jerry,
I've got the 64g installed & when I get home from work I'll do that. Sweet set up

the only googles i have seen w/out a video receiver built-in has been the cinemizer oled's and they cost more than the fatsharks. the oleds are now discontinued and replaced with the VR One. The VR One is like Google cardboard where it uses your phone...so no hdmi input :(
only the dominator v3 and dominatorhd v2 work. the previous versions do not. and for some odd reason, hdmi cable that comes with them don't work. you'll need to use different micro hdmi to micro hdmi cable.
Frank,
I appreciate that info.

Solo,

Put a 64gb card in the extra SD card slot, open up the built in recorder, change the quality to high and don't forget to record all of your flights!

Jerry

I like my Shield a lot. Instead of using the SD card slot as a standalone drive I chose to use the slot to extend the onboard memory of the tablet itself with a 128gb high speed card. It acts as an internal drive now.

The V3's are using mini HDMI cables now. I have tried all the cables I can find but no good going from Solo controller direct to V3's. Only way I fond to do it is by using a powered HDMI to Composite converter and going to analog-in on the V3. Do you have a link to a cable you are using that works?

Otherwise the Shield rocks for this application. Run times are short though...

Reactions: Solo Keith and J R
I like my Shield a lot. Instead of using the SD card slot as a standalone drive I chose to use the slot to extend the onboard memory of the tablet itself with a 128gb high speed card. It acts as an internal drive now.

The V3's are using mini HDMI cables now. I have tried all the cables I can find but no good going from Solo controller direct to V3's. Only way I fond to do it is by using a powered HDMI to Composite converter and going to analog-in on the V3. Do you have a link to a cable you are using that works?

Otherwise the Shield rocks for this application. Run times are short though...
I just got my FS Dominator V3 and had the same issue. There is no need to to use powered HDMI to Composite, In my case I found that the HDMI mini to micro adapter is defective, luckily I had spare regular HDMI to micro adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Afunta-Micro-...84&sr=8-8&keywords=hdmi+mini+to+micro+adapter). I used it with the other adapter provided with the goggles and the image came in just fine. Is very important that you turn off the receiver RX switch at the bottom next to the earphone jack otherwise the image will not come in.

I just got my FS Dominator V3 and had the same issue. There is no need to to use powered HDMI to Composite, In my case I found that the HDMI mini to micro adapter is defective, luckily I had spare regular HDMI to micro adapter (Amazon.com: Afunta Micro HDMI Male D to HDMI Female A Jack Adapter Cable Convertor 1080P: Electronics). I used it with the other adapter provided with the goggles and the image came in just fine. Is very important that you turn off the receiver RX switch at the bottom next to the earphone jack otherwise the image will not come in.
Thanks! A pass-through adapter is the one piece I never would have suspected. Part ordered just to try it but I will probably continue to use the Shield for it's OSD telemetry features. It will be nice to not have to .

After deciding to go with the Shield I did my homework thoroughly. There is so much conflicting info on the web about it's compatibility with the FS HD V2's and the Dom V3's it made my head spin.

I emailed FS support and got a response in less than 24 hrs. The answer was the Dom's are NOT compatible with the Shield Tablet. In the meantime I found a hobby shop 75 miles away from me that carried the FS line and would let me try both the HD V2's and the Dom V3's if I brought my Shield Tablet with me.

I did make the trip. They both worked. I found the HD V2's did not fit my vision well enough and the V3's worked well for me. I bought the V3's.

In the end it was $60 more than I could have got them for online with tax and store mark-up involved with the local purchase. Add the travel expenses and time to get there it was more. But I'll tell you what, it was worth every penny. By comparing them (after being able to verify they were Shield compatible too) I learned my online decision to purchase the Dom HD V2's would have been the wrong choice for me and the online retailers would have charged me a restocking fee to return them....IF they even allowed returns at all.

After deciding to go with the Shield I did my homework thoroughly. There is so much conflicting info on the web about it's compatibility with the FS HD V2's and the Dom V3's it made my head spin.

I emailed FS support and got a response in less than 24 hrs. The answer was the Dom's are NOT compatible with the Shield Tablet. In the meantime I found a hobby shop 75 miles away from me that carried the FS line and would let me try both the HD V2's and the Dom V3's if I brought my Shield Tablet with me.

I did make the trip. They both worked. I found the HD V2's did not fit my vision well enough and the V3's worked well for me. I bought the V3's.

In the end it was $60 more than I could have got them for online with tax and store mark-up involved with the local purchase. Add the travel expenses and time to get there it was more. But I'll tell you what, it was worth every penny. By comparing them (after being able to verify they were Shield compatible too) I learned my online decision to purchase the Dom HD V2's would have been the wrong choice for me and the online retailers would have charged me a restocking fee to return them....IF they even allowed returns at all.

Looks like I'll be getting the V3's. What really boggles my mind is the video feed is 100 times better on the Shield than on an iPad Air.

Reactions: Steve K
Looks like I'll be getting the V3's. What really boggles my mind is the video feed is 100 times better on the Shield than on an iPad Air.
I have zero experience with Apple products. It is interesting that you saw that large of a difference.

I had a similar experience. I had a bad HDMI cable in Solo. Initially, I was using my HTC One M9 phone with the Solo. It worked fine. Then I bought a Nexus 7 2013 version because I wanted a larger screen. That produced lots of artifacts and smearing of the live feed (on screen). Even overclocked! So, I was told the Nexus 7 was the culprit. Went out and bought the Shield Tablet and it was better than the Nexus 7 but never as good as the HTC One M9.

Finally, decided to remove the gimbal and tie into the Hero 4 directly to Solo. By jostling the HDMI cable around to do this the live view became unusable. Blockies galore!

3DR sent me a new HDMI cable and poof...all my troubles went away.

Here's the Nexus 7 2013 showing the smearing before I bought the Shield or replacing the HDMI cable while trying to troubleshoot.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado