GPS Mod-Cardboard under the copper foil

Reaction score
My solo takes so long to aquire satellites I can literally start it up simultaneously with my Phantom2 and fly the Phantom around until the Solo is ready. This mod I just saw on Youtube seems too simple, yet I can't find any serious discussion of improving the GPS on this forum (it might be buried). Has anyone done this or improved upon this method? It seems that the moment 3DR sees this they will change the design of the craft in future production, unless I'm missing something. I love this forum, keep up the good work guys/gals.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
thanks whereverimayroam

A lot said it works well don't use lexan plastic I tried and gps got worse reception, I'll prolly try again with something else but cardboard seems like it could hold moisture in this humid area.

There was a thread here last week that had a lot of positive results and the how to video, look back a week or so and your find it and other good mods. There's also a Facebook mod page you could check into.

My solo takes so long to aquire satellites I can literally start it up simultaneously with my Phantom2 and fly the Phantom around until the Solo is ready. This mod I just saw on Youtube seems too simple, yet I can't find any serious discussion of improving the GPS on this forum (it might be buried). Has anyone done this or improved upon this method? It seems that the moment 3DR sees this they will change the design of the craft in future production, unless I'm missing something. I love this forum, keep up the good work guys/gals.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
thanks whereverimayroam
If you haven't updated the firmware I would do that first. It provided dramatic GPS lock improvement for me

A lot said it works well don't use lexan plastic I tried and gps got worse reception, I'll probably try again with something else but cardboard seems like it could hold moisture in this humid area.
Has anyone tried the corrugated plastic used in temporary political signage...as an example.

Has anyone tried the corrugated plastic used in temporary political signage...as an example.
Funny I was thinking that exact thing while I posted above about trying something else it's less dense than lexan actually the piece I used was thick. Maybe if I try scrap from the rc touring car body I haven't cut out yet it may work also, I'm going to experiment until I find something beside plain cardboard.

I've got that carbon fiber skin that or maybe even a masking tape would probably be enough, that frog tape for painters that doesn't absorb or let things run I think will be my next try seems like it should be perfect and it's even 3dr green I think lol.

I've got that carbon fiber skin that or maybe even a masking tape would probably be enough, that frog tape for painters that doesn't absorb or let things run I think will be my next try seems like it should be perfect and it's even 3dr green I think lol.
What about Saranwrap. It's very thin and light.

I'm planning on upgrading the gps on mine this week, I'm going to put electrical tape between the gps and copper shield.

What about Saranwrap. It's very thin and light.
Yea I'd assume most thin materials should do the trick but would Saran Wrap have issues if it gets hot?

I guess it wouldn't be bad if cardboards ok I have that frog tape in the garage so I'll give it a go tonight after the kids go to bed and post how it works out. I'm just nervous my screwdriver doesn't fit snug neither of my sets have a great size for these screws, I need to figure out what thread and size these little screws are. Be nice to get an anodized set like on my Durango detc touring car. Not needed really but would add a lil bit of color and subtract a bit of weight as well.

Yea I'd assume most thin materials should do the trick but would Saran Wrap have issues if it gets hot?

I guess it wouldn't be bad if cardboards ok I have that frog tape in the garage so I'll give it a go tonight after the kids go to bed and post how it works out. I'm just nervous my screwdriver doesn't fit snug neither of my sets have a great size for these screws, I need to figure out what thread and size these little screws are. Be nice to get an anodized set like on my Durango detc touring car. Not needed really but would add a lil bit of color and subtract a bit of weight as well.
Not sure, I would think it would get hot enough to melt but it may cause it to shrink. I'm not real sure the mod has much of an affect anyway. I'm waiting for more results.

just took mine apart to change the wifi card and decided to look at the gps.
I don't know why 3dr would put copper sheet next to the circuit board on the gps, there is some glue on the foil but the potential is there to short out something. I put electrical tape on the back of the gps just to be safe.
It wouldn't surprise me if this copper has something to do with some GPS failures out of the box

How about a sheet of foam? Like the packing that is in the box with the batteries? I "think" part of the point was insulation, but another part was getting the copper shield to stand off the board, hence the corrugated rather than flat cardboard.

I get mix readings on this mod. From the purely engeneering point of view by separating the foil from the gps you are eliminating , or limiting the ground connection of the foil. In order to limit rf from the electronics below the foil should be grounded to the negative of the board and battery . Has anyone taken this into consideration?

I install the modification just like the video and my results were negative. Perform 3 tests and could not get satellites. Removing the cardboard again in moments was 12 satellites to fly

I get mix readings on this mod. From the purely engeneering point of view by separating the foil from the gps you are eliminating , or limiting the ground connection of the foil. In order to limit rf from the electronics below the foil should be grounded to the negative of the board and battery . Has anyone taken this into consideration?

I question that there is even a need to ground the foil at all to block the RF. My only experience in shielding a GPS was with my P2V+ and it was not grounded at all. I used a sheet of 3M copper foil that is fairly dense and for the purpose of RF shielding. From the video here, the foil looked fairly thin and with its removal could have created some gaps in its coverage. Just another variable that could be overlooked by performing the mod. The factory foil wasn't intended to be removed and reapplied....creasing and stretching the foil. From an old tinker's point of view.

YMMV, but gapping the GPS module from the other electronics makes sense based on previous years of reading of GPS related issues and their resolves.

If I do encounter a GPS issue, I'll do the mod with the 3M foil and Kapton tape as an insulator from the electronics.

There's no telling, but you were at good GPS numbers after swapping everything back to factory. Correct? Why worry then, you're in the 99.99% group that works.

As it was a modification that does not require major changes or destroys anything original, it was just a matter of testing whether increasing the speed to find satellites. But I did not work, it only got worse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig