Phantom 3 vs. Solo

I own a P2H4 combo.. And I have been very close to pulling the trigger on the DJI Inspire.. Only thing that has stopped me is the video quality of the camera. I'm lucky that there is a drone shop close to me and they allow me to shoot test footage with it.

These are my observations comparing the camera footage..

All the DJI cameras in video mode force post sharpening. You can't turn it off, even if you set sharpening to 0 or -2 etc.. If you shoot a DNG raw still, then Post sharpening is off and you will see that the DJI cameras aren't as sharp as the H4 in raw and they don't have the exposure or color latitude. Personally, I don't want the camera to do any post work for me.. I want as close of an image I can get to raw sensor data, so I can do the post myself.

On a lot of the footage I have looked at, I have seen the inspire and P3P camera also has some problems with compression artifacts and noise in all ISO settings.. It's easy to see if you take your Inspire or P3 footage and zoom in to 400%.. You will end up seeing lots of pixels jumping around. The Hero4 has that, but not nearly as much.

I know you mention seeing rolling shutter in the videos above, but every digital video camera has rolling shutter and you deal with it the same on each camera by lowering Shutterspeed. The reason why the Hero4 might show more than the other cameras, is because the H4 can't go down below 400ISO where the DJI cameras are able to go down to 100ISO.. That's two stops.. But I don't think the DJI cameras are native at 100ISO, I think they are native at 400ISO as video quality is better there.

Also in the footage above, you will clearly see that the H4 has a lot more dynamic range than the DJI cameras, the contrast is better.

The only real pain for me, is that I can't control the H4 remotely with my P2.. Which is why I am looking foreword to the SOLO..

You get what you pay for

I am also interested in the Solo but need more than the 1/2 mile range and the flight time/battery to support it. Be interesting to see realistic distance and flight times of a fully functional unit instead of the marketing sunshine pumped by DJI for my Phantom flight times.
Yeah, thats what worries me. I hope i dont get jealous from seeing 3 mile lightbridge flights...

i took my first long distance flight today with my P3P. It was "only" 3/4 mile but the HD feed was buttery smooth and I still had full signal. On Monday I'm going to try a lot farther...

I live near the Canadian Rockies. I am a current P2 owner but after reading the discussion here I preordered the Solo with GoPro gimbal. I will post videos for you all to see as soon as I get my order.

The ability to see what my Hero 3+Black is filming and the smart shot features really have me excited.

I made my own side by side comparation...

Writen in Portuguese, use Google translate to translate to english, but overall the Solo its expensive and full of problems to be fixed...

3DR Solo VS DJI Phantom 3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso