Video - Software mod to increase radio range - hostapd.conf

This was posted on Facebook by a Mac user in the UK that's done the mod:

Just tweaked, quite easy on a Mac. I used my web authoring app Coda to SFTP in and edit the file, then just SSH'd through the built in Terminal app. Coda costs $$ so alternatively you could use Filezilla or CyberDuck etc to SFTP in and and edit using TextWrangler, all are free.

The command to SSH in from Terminal for the controller is:

ssh -l root 10.1.1.1

...and for solo:

ssh -l root 10.1.1.10

I've just finished this video today, it's relevant to the latest firmware as well. Amongst other things this allows the Solo to use any pair of channels from 1 to 12, whereas before the mod it is limited to using only channels 6 and 11.

This has increased my range in both congested and non-congested Wi-Fi areas. Attached is a screenshot without even using the ALFA antenna. The cost of doing this mod is exactly $0.00.

View attachment 859

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The software to download to perform this mod is:
https://atom.io
https://www.bitvise.com/ssh-client-download

The IP address of the Solo controller is: 10.1.1.1
The IP address of the Solo is: 10.1.1.10

The username is: root
The password is: TjSDBkAu

The changes to make to the hostapd.conf file are:
acs_num_scans=8
#chanlist=6 11
beacon_int=999
wmm_ac_vi_cwmin=2
wmm_ac_vi_txop_limit=136
wmm_ac_vo_txop_limit=1
disassoc_low_ack=0

The command to run to update the MD5 is:
md5sum /etc/hostapd.conf > /etc/hostapd.conf.md5

thanks mate, saw this in the facebook page but now im gonna try it :)

Reactions: Ian [P13]
DJi also recently eliminated a bunch of user selectable channels for use with Lightbridge in the latest P3 firmware and DJi Pilot (now GO) update

I am not sure how they pulled that off in the first place. But the channels they eliminated were about 10 channels above and 10 below. (32 total). They were clearly outside the legal WiFi spectrum in the US. I forget the exact frequency used but its basically 10 about and 10 below. The hack (file switch) still works with Go app and all the 3rd party SDK developers have it open too.

This seems like a nice option for Solo guys and will be anxious to see users test it.

Thanks Ian.

The difference between the two companies is that 3DR would say that's cool where as DJI would issue a new firmware update that lock down everything.

LOL, Isn't that the truth !

@lan, Can I do everything that i need to do from Mission Planer?
I connect with Solo via MP from my Win7 X64 Desktop. I just setup that connection last night & works perfectly.

Please advise.

@lan, Can I do everything that i need to do from Mission Planer?
I connect with Solo via MP from my Win7 X64 Desktop. I just setup that connection last night & works perfectly.

Please advise.
You can't do this mod from Mission Planner as it's changing a Linux file on the Sololink, it's not changing Arducopter, Mission Planner is used in conjunction with the latter.

Reactions: SteveReno
So I did the mod on said file and did notice a difference !!! Nice stuff thanks

I've just finished this video today, it's relevant to the latest firmware as well. Amongst other things this allows the Solo to use any pair of channels from 1 to 12, whereas before the mod it is limited to using only channels 6 and 11.

This has increased my range in both congested and non-congested Wi-Fi areas. Attached is a screenshot without even using the ALFA antenna. The cost of doing this mod is exactly $0.00.

View attachment 859

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The software to download to perform this mod is:
https://atom.io
https://www.bitvise.com/ssh-client-download

The IP address of the Solo controller is: 10.1.1.1
The IP address of the Solo is: 10.1.1.10

The username is: root
The password is: TjSDBkAu

The changes to make to the hostapd.conf file are:
acs_num_scans=8
#chanlist=6 11
beacon_int=999
wmm_ac_vi_cwmin=2
wmm_ac_vi_txop_limit=136
wmm_ac_vo_txop_limit=1
disassoc_low_ack=0

The command to run to update the MD5 is:
md5sum /etc/hostapd.conf > /etc/hostapd.conf.md5
That was a lot of work putting all this together. Thank You!!

Good to hear that as I'd seen at least that. It'd be nice if people applying this mod can report back on increased range and the country they are in, so we can build up a good picture of the benefit.

I can confirm that this also works with the replacement wifi cards, and it resulted in a stronger signal for me. I have yet to take her out with this and compare between the settings, but my RSSI is now much lower overall.

If the installation fails I can return to the original firmware, or damage the equipment?

You can simply edit the file, copy over it again or do a system reset, so you can't do permanent damage. Do make sure to update both the controller and the Solo before rebooting them to save yourself any potential hassle though.

Reactions: Retired2Fly
So i can choose which channels to use?
If i go out to fly, I can use a WIFI analyzer app, Check least used channel, then use that channel? or is it automatic from a range of channels?

If i go out to fly, I can use a WIFI analyzer app, Check least used channel, then use that channel? or is it automatic from a range of channels?
It opens up the available channels and will auto select them. Analyzer is still a good tool as part of a preflight check, to know what the environment is like. It is possible that everything is crowded.

Also worth noting that when you fly far away (especially low) you can always get new interference from WiFi routers etc. at the Solo end.

You can but you'd have to go through the file editing process to do so, so you wouldn't want to do it often.

Selection of channels is normally automatic. There is a parametre to tell Solo how long to search for a good channel and if you don't specify which channels, Solo is allowed to use all that are available. You can use another parametre to give some channels higher priority based on an imposed "handicap" that you set. If you read through the config file, there are comments explaining the parametres or if not, you can Google the file online and people have listed it out as it is a common config file.

Awkward to do in the field, but if you want to force Solo onto a particular channel, set the parameter to only allow that one channel. Do this for both controller and Solo: run the hash generator and reboot both. Like I said, kinda awkward.

Just make sure you backup your config file so you don't have to do a full reset to go back. I just rename the file with a "old" extension so I don't even have to recopy it. And of course, as always when tinkering and modding, know that you'll be responsible for any errors/erratic behavior and damage that potentially could result.

Edit: Looks like we were all replying at the same time! ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44