Video - Software mod to increase radio range - hostapd.conf

Selection of channels is normally automatic. There is a parametre to tell Solo how long to search for a good channel and if you don't specify which channels, Solo is allowed to use all that are available. You can use another parametre to give some channels higher priority based on an imposed "handicap" that you set. If you read through the config file, there are comments explaining the parametres or if not, you can Google the file online and people have listed it out as it is a common config file.

Awkward to do in the field, but if you want to force Solo onto a particular channel, set the parameter to only allow that one channel. Do this for both controller and Solo: run the hash generator and reboot both. Like I said, kinda awkward.

Just make sure you backup your config file so you don't have to do a full reset to go back. I just rename the file with a "old" extension so I don't even have to recopy it. And of course, as always when tinkering and modding, know that you'll be responsible for any errors/erratic behavior and damage that potentially could result.

Edit: Looks like we were all replying at the same time! ;)
What he said :)

@Earldgrayjr @lan @Lamda

Support like this, is non existent!

I usually take video at the beaches at Padre Island Tx. No problem there being stock "1300", But when testing Solo or GoPro i do it here in Corpus, WIFI city here, Even the Cockroaches have WIFI out here, or it's seems like it "800"...... LOL

Will Let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for ALL the advise(ors)

@Earldgrayjr @lan @Lamda

Support like this, is non existent!

I usually take video at the beaches at Padre Island Tx. No problem there being stock "1300", But when testing Solo or GoPro i do it here in Corpus, WIFI city here, Even the Cockroaches have WIFI out here, or it's seems like it "800"...... LOL

Will Let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for ALL the advise(ors)

Yup. One of the major reasons why I chose to go with the Solo despite it being new to market and "untried". I get to learn from people who are deeply involved in this and tinker on a highly extensible platform.

Yup. One of the major reasons why I chose to go with the Solo despite it being new to market and "untried". I get to learn from people who are deeply involved in this and tinker on a highly extensible platform.
I also felt the same, unsure about 3dr, but after purchase, I found 3drpilots, then I felt better knowing people like your self & almost everyone else. Very helpful & optimistic. Great combination.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I've just finished this video today, it's relevant to the latest firmware as well. Amongst other things this allows the Solo to use any pair of channels from 1 to 12, whereas before the mod it is limited to using only channels 6 and 11.

This has increased my range in both congested and non-congested Wi-Fi areas. Attached is a screenshot without even using the ALFA antenna. The cost of doing this mod is exactly $0.00.

View attachment 859

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The software to download to perform this mod is:
https://atom.io
https://www.bitvise.com/ssh-client-download

The IP address of the Solo controller is: 10.1.1.1
The IP address of the Solo is: 10.1.1.10

The username is: root
The password is: TjSDBkAu

The changes to make to the hostapd.conf file are:
acs_num_scans=8
#chanlist=6 11
beacon_int=999
wmm_ac_vi_cwmin=2
wmm_ac_vi_txop_limit=136
wmm_ac_vo_txop_limit=1
disassoc_low_ack=0

The command to run to update the MD5 is:
md5sum /etc/hostapd.conf > /etc/hostapd.conf.md5

Thank you Ian,

Had to go over the video a few times to follow along quickly with two new pieces of software. But two thanks. One for the "radio auto channel" mod and the 2nd for providing a great avenue to getting my fingers on some simple scripting with the Solo. I shall follow you.

Burke

Reactions: Ian [P13]
I also felt the same, unsure about 3dr, but after purchase, I found 3drpilots, then I felt better knowing people like your self & almost everyone else. Very helpful & optimistic. Great combination.

I had posted earlier on this subject as a major part of my reasoning to make my new bets on Solo..

Most people don't get the nuances of open source right away, but in a closed system (like another quad manufacturer I know) they actively work to keep you from this stuff, and close it down when hacks are found to do things they hadn't thought of.

With 3DR, much of the IP is open source and the product is built with this in mind. Not only do they not frown on these things, or try to shut it down, they actually support it (some of this actually came from 3DR employees) along with a large and vibrant community (including Ian) constantly trying new things..

And It has only just begun with Solo

This mod is a PERFECT example of the differences between open source and a closed system...

I usually take video at the beaches at Padre Island Tx. No problem there being stock "1300", But when testing Solo or GoPro i do it here in Corpus, WIFI city here, Even the Cockroaches have WIFI out here, or it's seems like it "800"

I wonder if the amount of moisture in the air would affect the wifi transmission...CC is amazingly wet and windy even in a drought.

I had posted earlier on this subject as a major part of my reasoning to make my new bets on Solo..

Most people don't get the nuances of open source right away, but in a closed system (like another quad manufacturer I know) they actively work to keep you from this stuff, and close it down when hacks are found to do things they hadn't thought of.

With 3DR, much of the IP is open source and the product is built with this in mind. Not only do they not frown on these things, or try to shut it down, they actually support it (some of this actually came from 3DR employees) along with a large and vibrant community (including Ian) constantly trying new things..

And It has only just begun with Solo

This mod is a PERFECT example of the differences between open source and a closed system...
amen to that. It's helps my user experience. I'm geek and I actually get to play and learn some of programming. Open source all the way.

With 3DR, much of the IP is open source and the product is built with this in mind. Not only do they not frown on these things, or try to shut it down, they actually support it (some of this actually came from 3DR employees) along with a large and vibrant community (including Ian) constantly trying new things...
Exactly, it was down to others on the mod club group to work this mod out, I've simply put it in video form to make it more accessible so more people can get the benefit. For all the problems the Solo release has had, it'll all come good and it'll be a great platform to use for years to come.

The mindset of people of being able to come up with ideas and implement them is a powerful one.

I wonder if the amount of moisture in the air would affect the wifi transmission...CC is amazingly wet and windy even in a drought.
Rich, your right. Forgot about moisture messing up signals! Common humanity here is 75% often higher.

quickly tested Solo for 5min, with the new radio numbers and found better signals to and from Solo.
I will give #'s after I test it on a longer run. But I think it will be better then prior stock performance.

Absolutely. Moisture in air can have a pretty dramatic effect, as it attenuates any radio signal.

Absolutely. Moisture in air can have a pretty dramatic effect, as it attenuates any radio signal.
You guys suggest antenna mod + WiFi cards then?
Needing a full mile with clear vid and not RTH.
Wind here it constantly 10+ gust to 25 most of the time. Eats up battery can't afford long distance flight.
I think that video will also suffer, but I can work with that. I really, really hope that this gimbal will work in the wind well?

You guys suggest antenna mod + WiFi cards then?
Needing a full mile with clear vid and not RTH.
Wind here it constantly 10+ gust to 25 most of the time. Eats up battery can't afford long distance flight.
I think that video will also suffer, but I can work with that. I really, really hope that this gimbal will work in the wind well?

I'd suggest the soft and hardware mods for wifi regardless of antenna. I'm liking the wifi card a lot. Antennas can be changed like clothes and used on a whim. The wifi card swap just makes everything nicer all the time - unobstructive and low maintenance. :p

I'd suggest the soft and hardware mods for wifi regardless of antenna. I'm liking the wifi card a lot. Antennas can be changed like clothes and used on a whim. The wifi card swap just makes everything nicer all the time - unobstructive and low maintenance. :p
I agree. With those requirments I would suggest everything including the hostapd file mod, the Wifi cards, and I personally would add the FPVLR antennas. Others might work most of the time, but that should work all of the time.

I've seen 2 Solo's go over a mile with this mod and the FrSky antenna. Obviously if I'm asked to repeat that in court, I never did. ;)

Oddly enough 1 ALFA with 1 FrSky seems to work good as well (a little better than 2 x FrSky).

Reactions: Retired2Fly
Thanks Ian for the tips as well as having one of the most positive threads I've seen here bringing everybody on the same page to advance solo. Love 3drpilots can't say I'd ever look back after changing to putting my time in here, glad to see its growing so well and trolls are basically non existent unlike other forums.

The Solo launch has been bumpy and it must have been the most trolled multicopter in history. Now the gimbal is out and people are going to start making footage, I'm expecting a whole better vibe on all the Solo groups.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44