Video stream issue...

J R

Reaction score
I posted this on the help forum but it doesn't look like that gets as much use. If I shouldn't post this kind of stuff here, just let me know.

screenshot_2015-10-20_17-28-44-jpg.1631
Has anyone seen this issue (screenshot)? My video has been working fine but today started looking like this screenshot. It's a GoPro Hero 4 Black. It fly's and recorders fine and every once in a while it will come up correctly for a second and then it just freezes the live video feed. The screenshot is what it looks like every time I power it up now. It's a live feed, just this discoloration and static. I've tried various ways of booting everything up and I've tried reseating the GoPro and the HDMI connection. I just cant seem to figure it out. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Last edited:
Weird- maybe try taking the battery out of the GoPro?
What kind of tablet/phone?
If it's not in the gopro maybe it's your tablet. Can you reboot tablet or use something else? Maybe the HDMI cable has gone bad.
Let's see if we can isolate the problem to the GoPro, tablet or Solo and go from there.

EDIT: I shouldn't have posted this here. I should have just waited for responses on the help thread. Now I can't figure out how to delete it here. If a moderator see's this please feel free to delete this thread.

Thank you,

Jerry

I posted this on the help forum but it doesn't look like that gets as much use. If I shouldn't post this kind of stuff here, just let me know.

Has anyone seen this issue (screenshot)? My video has been working fine but today started looking like this screenshot. It's a GoPro Hero 4 Black. It fly's and recorders fine and every once in a while it will come up correctly for a second and then it just freezes the live video feed. The screenshot is what it looks like every time I power it up now. It's a live feed, just this discoloration and static. I've tried various ways of booting everything up and I've tried reseating the GoPro and the HDMI connection. I just cant seem to figure it out. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry
It almost looks like a cable thats not Connecticut all the way ..?

Maddog,

Checked the GoPro, even plugged it into the TV. I normally use my Nvidia Shield but went ahead and checked it on my Samsung Tab 4, does the same thing. Reseated the GoPro and HDMI connector several times. Tried different order of firing everything up. About all that's left is tearing into the bird, I think? I really hate having to do that on a month old machine, expensive machine. I did do the battery bay HDMI reroute that everyone spoke about as soon as I got the bird. Thanks for the reply.

Jerry

Del,

That's what I figured at first but have attempted to reseat it quite a few times already. The stream started bugging a bit early today but it was like a roll on a TV. Like the top of the video shows up on the bottom of the screen. It seemed to get worse when I flew it again this afternoon. Now it's just the way my posted picture looks. Thanks for replying.

Jerry

Reactions: Del
I doubt this will help, but I started having weird video issues with my GP 3+ Black. A user said to try and change the GP settings. I changed them (i.e., 1080 to 720, turned off ProTune, etc) and it went away. I put all my settings back and it has worked fine ever since. It's worth a try...

Jerry
You ordered that flexible cable right? Maybe it's just a bad cable....
I think McCabe had some video issues with his when he finally gave it up.
The P3 passed it on to Solo...:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandon C.
Maddog,

Checked the GoPro, even plugged it into the TV. I normally use my Nvidia Shield but went ahead and checked it on my Samsung Tab 4, does the same thing. Reseated the GoPro and HDMI connector several times. Tried different order of firing everything up. About all that's left is tearing into the bird, I think? I really hate having to do that on a month old machine, expensive machine. I did do the battery bay HDMI reroute that everyone spoke about as soon as I got the bird. Thanks for the reply.

Jerry
I'm confused- when you plugged GoPro into TV it worked ok?
When GoPro is connected to Solo, you tried using a Tab 4 to view feed from GoPro & had the same problem, right?

If so, then it must be in Solo like you said. I don't know what you could "tear in" to. I'm also thinking it must be the HDMI cable.

Maddog,

It does appear that it's been isolated to the bird or gimbal not the GoPro. "Tear into", referenced taking apart the bird and/or gimbal. Although I'm comfortable doing so, it's getting to the point that I'm working on this thing a bit more than I would have expected. Learning, testing, and trying to gain experience is one thing, continually opening up a brand new bird due to hardware and design issues isn't giving me the warm and fuzzies.

Jerry

Last edited:
Maddog,

It does appear that it's been isolated to the bird or gimbal not the GoPro. "Tear into", referenced taking apart the bird and/or gimbal. Although I'm comfortable doing so, it's getting to the point that I'm working on this thing a bit more than I would have expected. Learning, testing, and trying to gain experience is one thing, continually opening up a brand new bird due to hardware and design issues isn't giving me the warm and fuzzies.

Jerry
I agree- once you install the gimbal you should be done. No more tinkering to make it work correctly.

I also think 3DR should only factory install the gimbal in the future.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
Maddog,

Jerry
Did you plug the HDMI cable directly into the GoPro, bypassing the gimbal? Hopefully you have a support ticket submitted.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Did you plug the HDMI cable directly into the GoPro, bypassing the gimbal? Hopefully you have a support ticket submitted.

Ray,

Yes, GoPro works correctly when connected to my TV or directly to my monitor but I have the same problem that I original had when I connect it to the Solo without the gimbal. So it's either got to be the cable itself or something else in the Solo. I've got the bird partially apart but it appears as though I may have to take a great deal more apart to get at the other end of the HDMI cable. It doesn't look like I can get at it from the battery bay. I'll have to research how to disassemble further to get at the other end. Not real happy that I'm doing this with a new $2k bird to say the least.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Jerry

Ray,

Yes, GoPro works correctly when connected to my TV or directly to my monitor but I have the same problem that I original had when I connect it to the Solo without the gimbal. So it's either got to be the cable itself or something else in the Solo. I've got the bird partially apart but it appears as though I may have to take a great deal more apart to get at the other end of the HDMI cable. It doesn't look like I can get at it from the battery bay. I'll have to research how to disassemble further to get at the other end. Not real happy that I'm doing this with a new $2k bird to say the least.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Jerry
Yes, you have to pull the main board out. There is a video out on it.
I'll find it. I believe Earl posted it a few weeks ago. It's a complete teardown video. The board comes out pretty easily after the battery tray is removed, as I remember.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I think all you'll need to do is tilt the board out far enough to get to the HDMI cable. Leave the legs on, maybe loosen up the antenna wire in the leg, pull 2 motor pods on one side...

Last edited:
Yes, you have to pull the main board out.

So, apparently I'll have to take the whole bird apart to get at the other end of the HDMI cable. I guess I may as well shelve the damn thing until I get the new cable from 3drelish in Singapore. Glad I still have my Phantoms, both up and running.

Thanks for the help Ray.

Jerry

So, apparently I'll have to take the whole bird apart to get at the other end of the HDMI cable. I guess I may as well shelve the damn thing until I get the new cable from 3drelish in Singapore. Glad I still have my Phantoms, both up and running.

Thanks for the help Ray.

Jerry
I figured that....might as well wait for the cable. Send a support ticket too along with your sample video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig