APC propellers

APC/Grey. 3DR/Black Be sure to mark the MRP. They are not marked, and you need to be sure to get the correct nut into the correct prop. If you're used to the pitch of the blades, marking them won't matter. I've marked mine as I'm not always the one putting the blades on.

20160218_175844.jpg 20160218_175903.jpg

but battery sux?

I'm not sure. It's warmer today than recent days (40F vs 28F) but the first battery only gave me 18 mins. Second batt was at 60% from the start anyway. May have just been other factors. I'll know more tomorrow. Dark beat me to the next battery.

I just got my APC's. I'm noticing that they're heftier than the stock Solo props, especially around the hub area. I had to grab my Solo with the stock props when it tried to take-off without my permission and got a decent slice on my thumb (could have been worse). I suspect that these APC's could lob a finger off with no problem. Next time I will let it crash.

Has anyone busted any of these (props) yet? I'm just guessing that these will put more stress on the motor before breaking and wondering if that is a bad thing? Especially after a minor bump in landing or tip over etc.

well they are not out of the box notably better balanced
I got two full sets, not a single prop was balanced out of the box

well they are not out of the box notably better balanced
I got two full sets, not a single prop was balanced out of the box

they don't affect flight time at all, based on four batteries used at the same location today. They seem a bit more precise, but that's based on instinct, no hard data.
No, they're not at all balanced, and given that they're significantly more stiff, they'll vibrate more.

Using the standard 1045ST APCs, I found they were only slightly off balance for the 2&4 motors...more in the hub than anything and was very minor. The "white" oriented props were perfect. I presume the special Solo 1045ST's just use a open nut as well, i.e. can use the standard DuBro rod and centering cones.

If you're using the special 6mm threaded rod for balancing that will be an issue, as the rod's hub doesn't seat onto the prop hub. You'll have thread slop since it doesn't bottom out, only the threading stops which will cause a mis-alignment from the get go.

Using the supplied DuBro rod has it's own set of issues if you've glued in the nut. It's best to spin the prop around on the rod/cones in several positions to confirm the props heavy side is located. This will insure you don't have an alignment issue on the rod/cone prior to balancing.

Reactions: J R and RolandS888
Ok I am sold
This was a windy day, note the leaves blowing before take off and the trees. There is only one spot where it was in a direct cross wind that I am guessing would be hard to address in post. This is straight out of the camera, a GP4 Black with Peau 3.97 installed by them. No correction or stabilization. Props were not balanced. they sound interesting and I did not note any loss of battery, maybe a slight improvement but in those conditions I could not tell. I landed with 51% battery

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ok I am sold
This was a windy day, note the leaves blowing before take off and the trees.

Pyrate,

Super steady! The only flaw I see is at about 1:17 you get that micro vibe. Maybe I'm just getting too anal. That's what I get hung up on. Watching the rest of the clip I see nothing but smooth and steady. Thanks for sharing, I wish more would do the same.

Jerry

Reactions: RolandS888
me too, it is really the only way to figure things out.
I quit chasing vibrations. Was doing a build list to make my own hex to carry a mFT camera
when you start digging into it, rigs that cost thousands more than solo vibrate in the right wind conditions..

I may do the dead weight balance thing, but I am really happy with this kit now. On a calm day I have 0 vibes

Reactions: J R
Ok I am sold
It's some good stuff, now go get the motors...

Video looks smooth, but man the color and brightness makes everything look bleak. I know unedited and all, but give us some Spring!

Video really does look smooth. The landing portion at the end looked just like someone going fast and losing altitude. ;) Obviously you know your locale very well, nice flying.

Reactions: RolandS888
It's some good stuff, now go get the motors...

Video looks smooth, but man the color and brightness makes everything look bleak. I know unedited and all, but give us some Spring!

Video really does look smooth. The landing portion at the end looked just like someone going fast and losing altitude. ;) Obviously you know your locale very well, nice flying.

It's not as demonstrative/good as Pyrate's, but here is my first flight/day with the APC props.
Similar to his, no c/c, no stabilization, straight from ProTune.
Temps are 22F and 36F, first flight winds are light/variable, and on the high side for the second flight.
I've left the audio on so you can hear the props both facing and back to wind. The Solo is a tad more twitchy/responsive than with the OEM props.

Last edited:
It's not as demonstrative/good as Pyrate's, but here is my first flight/day with the APC props.
Temps are 22F and 36F, first flight winds are light/variable, and on the high side for the second flight.
I've left the audio on so you can hear the props both facing and back to wind.
Wow. No stabilization.

I love these raw videos. Nice work as well, looks pretty good on the vibe side.

...but why are all those people sitting in chairs on the snow...I presume this is where the crazy people are banished to during winter where you are from....;)

I love these raw videos. Nice work as well, looks pretty good on the vibe side.

...but why are all those people sitting in chairs on the snow...I presume this is where the crazy people are banished to during winter where you are from....;)

I guess it depends on how you look at it; I'd prefer seeing these at 80% of speed, and of course, some C/C, but that's not a fair view.
As to where I'm from...I'm from SoCal by way of Toronto, with a home near SLC, Utah. We went home for a few days, and shot this footage on Bear Lake and Mantua Reservoir. Bear Lake was just too damn cold to fly for long. Looking forward to getting back to Murrietta, CA where there are palm trees and ocean breezes.:)

If it wasn't for the shipping, these props are a very, very nice deal. Customer service was decent. I found them through Drones Plus, but they only had props for my Phantom, not the Solo, so I ordered them online from APC. I've now got them on three different UAS, and so far, impressed.

What were you shooting at? I was 4K wide 30fps with an ND8

Yours was much better shot than mine.

North Dallas this time of year just looks drab. and that hade no color on it at all.
Been trying to not shoot in the neighborhood but had a few things I needed to test
And the wind conditions were perfect for pushing things

Wind is under 10 here today, heading to a park shortly

Beem practicing glide path landings for a while. For no other reason than to get better on the sticks

Reactions: RichWest
I've left the audio on so you can hear the props both facing and back to wind. The Solo is a tad more twitchy/responsive than with the OEM props.

I am going to fly mine for a while. Are you sticking with them for now?

I am going to fly mine for a while. Are you sticking with them for now?

I'm sticking with them, yes. I prefer them. Funny thing, there is a guy on the Facebook Solo forum who is convinced they're too stiff for camera work and they vibrate too much. Perhaps his motors are giving him grief and he doesn't realize it yet?

I feel they're more responsive. You?

yes I do
Just got back from flying 4 batteries
first real chance to fly since doing a lot to the kit
Man it was fun to fly, and the new MPCC and free look are fantastic
I did about 50% just flying around and the rest on smart shots
I can see value in both. Solo is just getting better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M