Prop Balancer?

So what's the best way to address a very unbalanced hub? I'm using bits of clay just as a test to see how out of balance my props are and after getting the blades even one half of the hub needed an good little chunk of clay to offset the weight of the other side. Is it better to remove hub material or add?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

So what's the best way to address a very unbalanced hub? I'm using bits of clay just as a test to see how out of balance my props are and after getting the blades even one half of the hub needed an good little chunk of clay to offset the weight of the other side. Is it better to remove hub material or add?

How do you know the hub is unbalanced (as opposed to the entire prop)? Some demos ad hot glue, but the closer to the hub, the lesser the effect. I sand off the mold numbers near the hub first, but party for smoothness, and just start sanding off the trailing edge of the prop from there if necessary, making sure to hit the entire length of the blade.

My bet is, as long as you don't drastically change the airfoil, many combinations of sanding off and adding on (stickers, tape, etc.) will work fine. The key is that the prop is balanced and you don't change the overall shape.

Reactions: Burkeam
I know because the wings are sitting horizontal and I already addressed the weight of each wing. Hub has to be balanced too and one side seems much heavier

Seems that one would not want to mess with the top of the airfoil. The lift of the airfoil is developed by pressure differential due to the difference in speed of the flow over the top and bottom. Roughness or stickers on the top would more likely trip the flow and reduce lift.

Reactions: Acroduster
Seems that one would not want to mess with the top of the airfoil. The lift of the airfoil is developed by pressure differential due to the difference in speed of the flow over the top and bottom. Roughness or stickers on the top would more likely trip the flow and reduce lift.

So are you saying that props shouldn't be balanced?

I know because the wings are sitting horizontal and I already addressed the weight of each wing. Hub has to be balanced too and one side seems much heavier

Huh? By "wing" I am assuming you are talking about "blade"? If not and you are talking about fixed wing craft, then balancing props is probably the wrong discussion. If so and you are talking about prop blades, how do you measure the weight of the wing (blade) separate from the hub? It is all one piece.

Whatever you are doing, it isn't SOP. The SOP is to balance the prop (hubs and blades included) so when the prop is centered on a rod, on a balancer, it doesn't fall to one (heavier) side and you can turn (and leave) the prop to any place in the rotation and it will stay there, hence showing that it is balanced.

Good Luck

Last edited:
By wing I meant each blade. Assuming one side of the prop (blade) is heavier and you address that by adding weight to the other blade or removing material from the heavy side then you will get to a point where the blades are balanced and lay horizontally. But if thats the only position you can hold them in then the hub needs to have weight added to one side of it. At least thats the way I interpreted the process to be. Adding or removing weight to each blade at this point won't make things any better since they are already balanced and horizontal. That leaves the hub part of the prop. And in my case one side is much lighter than they other.

Reactions: Acroduster
By wing I meant each blade. Assuming one side of the prop (blade) is heavier and you address that by adding weight to the other blade or removing material from the heavy side then you will get to a point where the blades are balanced and lay horizontally. But if thats the only position you can hold them in then the hub needs to have weight added to one side of it. At least thats the way I interpreted the process to be. Adding or removing weight to each blade at this point won't make things any better since they are already balanced and horizontal. That leaves the hub part of the prop. And in my case one side is much lighter than they other.

That is not my experience. If you have only one place the prop will sit and not move then the prop is simply not balanced, but rather is close, and just sitting on some small friction spot on the rod/balancer. The key is being able to place the prop in any position and have it sit there.

I have litterally balanced hundreds of props, from wood to plastic to carbon fiber. Though I have sanded the hubs (or more often close to them) especially plastic props with mold numbers, as a way to take weight off one side of the prop, I have never removed or added weight specifically to the hub to "balance" only it, seperate from the blades, and have never found a prop that I couldn't balance.

IMHO the problem is you stop at the "one place" balance, assuming it will sit horizontally means the blades are balanced and something needs to be done with the hub, and rather don't continue with refinements of the blades... I place a particular blade in 8 positions 12:00, 1:30, 3:00, 4:30, 6:00, 7:30, 9:00, 10:30, and adjust the weight of one side until it won't wander in any of those positions. Because of friction in ant one spot, it isn't always obvious where the weight is until you do this. When you do this however, it is fairly obvious.

I am very happy with the method I use. Your mileage may vary. In the end, if it works for you then do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveReno
That is not my experience. If you have only one place the prop will sit and not move then the prop is simply not balanced, but rather is close, and just sitting on some small friction spot on the rod/balancer. The key is being able to place the prop in any position and have it sit there.

I have litterally balanced hundreds of props, from wood to plastic to carbon fiber. Though I have sanded the hubs (or more often close to them) especially plastic props with mold numbers, as a way to take weight off one side of the prop, I have never removed or added weight specifically to the hub to "balance" only it, seperate from the blades, and have never found a prop that I couldn't balance.

IMHO the problem is you stop at the "one place" balance, assuming it will sit horizontally means the blades are balanced and something needs to be done with the hub, and rather don't continue with refinements of the blades... I place a particular blade in 8 positions 12:00, 1:30, 3:00, 4:30, 6:00, 7:30, 9:00, 10:30, and adjust the weight of one side until it won't wander in any of those positions. Because of friction in ant one spot, it isn't always obvious where the weight is until you do this. When you do this however, it is fairly obvious.

I am very happy with the method I use. Your mileage may vary. In the end, if it works for you then do it.
I edited this post 5 times already and each time I get more confused. If the props sit horizonally after you balance them, wouldn't that mean that they would sit in any other position since the balancer wouldn't allow them to sit horizontally if one was heavier than the other - which would imply you would be able to rotate to any position as the prop would stay there? If NOT then I would think the hub needs to be looked at. Am I looking at this the right way?

Also, when sanding, do you sand the the entire bottom side of the heaviest blade or just in a certain spot?

Last edited:
I edited this post 5 times already and each time I get more confused. If the props sit horizonally after you balance them, wouldn't that mean that they would sit in any other position since the balancer wouldn't allow them to sit horizontally if one was heavier than the other - which would imply you would be able to rotate to any position as the prop would stay there? If NOT then I would think the hub needs to be looked at. Am I looking at this the right way?

Also, when sanding, do you sand the the entire bottom side of the heaviest blade or just in a certain spot?
Lol. No worries.

No. Sitting still horizontally doesn't mean it is balanced, and that is my major point. Possibly it would in a perfect world, but we don't live there. There is friction and imperfections in the balancing setup. That is precisely why you have to check it "around the clock" as they say. And yes, you sand all along the length of (that side) of the prop that is heavy, ensuring that the airfoil shape remains the same. In reality you are taking off a very small amount across the blade. I personally take off mold numbers just because in theory they add turbulence, but I am not positive it matters enough to bother. Some say to sand the underside, but I find the top side easier, to sand and maintain the shape (convex vs concave) and I really don't think it makes any difference. I have tried both, and not seen a difference.

Reactions: Raybro and Jubalr
I also have some Duro left over and can spare a 4X4 piece, if someone needs it.
Just got my balance rod. Took some new props OOB, and my wife's nail file (don't tell her).

Working on the leading edge and the outside first 1/3 of the blade area. It takes a lot of sanding to make a difference. I'd try my Dremel but I'd probably really screw it up.

Also Earl, I am using a glass for the rod to sit on and I assume you should have it pretty level as well to prevent faulty balance?

i just purchased some props from best buy and when i put them on the prop balance , they were bad!!!

@nuggetz

there is a difference in knowing if the blades or hub need balancing...when the blad tends to hit either 5 or 7 o clock , its usually a hub. 3, 6, 8 is usually blades. some people sand , i use tape on the bottom of the blades...for hub, i use tape but cut into strips...very small strips

Reactions: Raybro
Lol. No worries.

No. Sitting still horizontally doesn't mean it is balanced, and that is my major point. Possibly it would in a perfect world, but we don't live there. There is friction and imperfections in the balancing setup. That is precisely why you have to check it "around the clock" as they say. And yes, you sand all along the length of (that side) of the prop that is heavy, ensuring that the airfoil shape remains the same. In reality you are taking off a very small amount across the blade. I personally take off mold numbers just because in theory they add turbulence, but I am not positive it matters enough to bother. Some say to sand the underside, but I find the top side easier, to sand and maintain the shape (convex vs concave) and I really don't think it makes any difference. I have tried both, and not seen a difference.
Earl take a look at this video please. Maybe you've seen it before.. What are your thoughts? The concept I'm still struggling with is that if you balance each blade until they sit horizontally and assuming that the hub is perfectly balanced the prop should then sit in any position as gravity would affect it at the horizontal position just as much as it would in any other position.

If i still have it wrong then please explain how gravity affects each blade when it's in any position vs any other position. Maybe the problem is that I'm looking at this and comparing the balancer to one of those old school scales and maybe I'm overlooking the fact the the rod holding the prop can spin freely.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I get frustrated trying to sand away weight, and in my impatience I've found that adding a bit of clear nail polish to the underside of the light prop works well. I paint on thin coats along the length of the blade opposite the leading edge.
As an aside, I was in Walgreens picking up my prescriptions when I decided to pick up some clear nail polish. I don't know anything about nail polish, so I approached the lady by the cosmetics and asked if she could show me a durable and tough clear nail polish with good adherence, she looked at me funny, and with a straight face I replied that it was for my Drone. She didn't say much more to me, but did hand me some nail polish.

Reactions: Raybro
I get frustrated trying to sand away weight, and in my impatience I've found that adding a bit of clear nail polish to the underside of the light prop works well. I paint on thin coats along the length of the blade opposite the leading edge.
As an aside, I was in Walgreens picking up my prescriptions when I decided to pick up some clear nail polish. I don't know anything about nail polish, so I approached the lady by the cosmetics and asked if she could show me a durable and tough clear nail polish with good adherence, she looked at me funny, and with a straight face I replied that it was for my Drone. She didn't say much more to me, but did hand me some nail polish.

It's ok whether for you or your drone it's more likley than not she thought "what a creep", regaurdless of how we act or look. I think a lot of folks seem to believe we spy in windows or something just being simple or just completely unlearned. Lol

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Sounds like a plan. I borrowed the nail file, guess I could get the polish as well. :D

I would go for the 3mm rods. The thicker the rods the more chance of fluctuations. Unless they were extremely polished and 100 percent balanced and true themselves. The EJH ones I got from Amazon are perfect but I think they're sold out.

Just got my balance rod. Took some new props OOB, and my wife's nail file (don't tell her).

Working on the leading edge and the outside first 1/3 of the blade area. It takes a lot of sanding to make a difference. I'd try my Dremel but I'd probably really screw it up.

Also Earl, I am using a glass for the rod to sit on and I assume you should have it pretty level as well to prevent faulty balance?
Yes. Use a bullet (or other) level across the top of the dubro to make sure it is level. It is crucial.

There are a hundred (or more) ways to do this that I am sure will work, and you can find hundreds of videos online, each with variations of adding/subtracting weight with diffferent methods, and balancing at the hub, wings, top side, bottom side, etc.

I am lazy at heart and I like doing things quickly, and boiling it down to what is important and discarding what isn't. I am sure everyone has systems that work.

What I do is the simplest quickest way I have found. It works, and it works for both Phantom and Solo.

I have found that the hubs aren't the issue on these, and I have not found a prop for either I couldn't balance perfectly without sanding the blades. I used a balancing rod for Phantom/Solo, a Dubro, a block of wood, l level, and a battery operated corner sander.

I set the Dubro on a flat surface, and put the block under each side, to level it. I then place the level across the top of the DuBro cradled as the rod will be, to make sure it is level, and adjust accordingly.

Now that it is level, I attach the prop to the rod and place it on the Dubro and turn it so the blades are at 9:00 and 3:00. 8 out of 10 props will have one side fall down. The sander I use sits upright, with the sanding surface perpendicular to the floor. I turn that on and rake the trailing end of the heavy blade across the sander. It is a bit like sharpening a knife and takes some art, but doing this is very quick.

I continue to do this, moving the prop blades to various points around the clock and sanding the heavy side until it will stay still at any point. This happens quick, and usually takes 1 to 3 sandings. I currently have 24 balanced props (2 Solos) as well as 12 for (1) Phantom. I hear people talking about balancing the hub, but I have just not found it necessary for props like this that are more precision than the old props wth holes all the way through.

I made a short crude video with GoPro to explain. Like I said, I am lazy. I only had balanced props to start with so I started by sanding the "other" side of a previously balanced prop to unbalance one again for illustration.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44