Live stream issues - Solved

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with the live stream to the Apple App? It had been working fine for me for a while, then all of a sudden I would only get a black screen.

First time it happened was yesterday, I turned everything on, got a GPS lock within 30 seconds (you really do need to be away from any structures or tall vegetation), everything connected fine, connected to sololink on my iphone, brought up the app and just blackness. After restarting the solo several times, restarting the GoPro, restarting the app, disconnecting and reconnecting the iPhone from the network nothing worked. Finally restarting the controller (restarting the wifi) seemed to fix the issue and all was well.

So yesterday evening I decided to take it out again, went to the park, brought everything up and same thing, no picture. This time, nothing I did brought it back up. So I flew without the live feed and went home. This morning I started troubleshooting and found that when I connected my Galaxy S5 the stream came up just fine. So it seems to be isolated to the iOS app. I can use the Android app, but that's not without its own issues (maps not coming up, not able to record the stream, etc.)

Anyhow, is anyone having any similar experiences?

Has anyone had any issues with the live stream to the Apple App? It had been working fine for me for a while, then all of a sudden I would only get a black screen.

First time it happened was yesterday, I turned everything on, got a GPS lock within 30 seconds (you really do need to be away from any structures or tall vegetation), everything connected fine, connected to sololink on my iphone, brought up the app and just blackness. After restarting the solo several times, restarting the GoPro, restarting the app, disconnecting and reconnecting the iPhone from the network nothing worked. Finally restarting the controller (restarting the wifi) seemed to fix the issue and all was well.

So yesterday evening I decided to take it out again, went to the park, brought everything up and same thing, no picture. This time, nothing I did brought it back up. So I flew without the live feed and went home. This morning I started troubleshooting and found that when I connected my Galaxy S5 the stream came up just fine. So it seems to be isolated to the iOS app. I can use the Android app, but that's not without its own issues (maps not coming up, not able to record the stream, etc.)

I do get this issue occasionally, though doesn't seem as common. When it happens I power everything off INCLUDING the iPad - doesn't seem to be enough to just quit the Solo app and relaunch it. I completely power cycle the iPad. I think others have worked out a start up order that reliable. For me it's GoPro first, then Solo, Controller, then Solo App.

Reactions: Mark
Thanks for the reply, Erik.

I did power cycle the iPhone yesterday evening and it didn't help. I've tried several permutations of startup order and found that Controller, GoPro, Solo then App had worked best for me (that was when I wasn't having this no-video issue).

Thanks for the reply, Erik.

I did power cycle the iPhone yesterday evening and it didn't help. I've tried several permutations of startup order and found that Controller, GoPro, Solo then App had worked best for me (that was when I wasn't having this no-video issue).
Try quitting the SoloApp before you power cycle the iPad/Phone. Just to be sure nothing is cached.

I turn things on in random order every time. If you have video issues, they're almost always fixed by closing the app (double-tap home; swipe up) and then reopen.

I turn things on in random order every time. If you have video issues, they're almost always fixed by closing the app (double-tap home; swipe up) and then reopen.
Yeah but he said that didn't work for him.

It's more of a nuisance for me than a deal breaker as I've got other options. I've got my Galaxy S5 and Kindle Fire that work OK, so I'm not totally grounded. I'll give it another shot quitting the Solo App before restarting and seeing if that works.

Thanks!

It's more of a nuisance for me than a deal breaker as I've got other options. I've got my Galaxy S5 and Kindle Fire that work OK, so I'm not totally grounded. I'll give it another shot quitting the Solo App before restarting and seeing if that works.

Thanks!
(I doubt that will make a difference by the way. Just a hail marry suggestion on my part).

Have you upgraded the Hero? I did and had some problems especially with "time lapse". Found that if I get everything connected, app, and all,,then turn on GP,and start video it has worked 100% Maybe will help.

Have you upgraded the Hero? I did and had some problems especially with "time lapse". Found that if I get everything connected, app, and all,,then turn on GP,and start video it has worked 100% Maybe will help.
I did upgrade the Hero and that may be what caused my issue. With all the permutations of powering things on I've tried, I don't think I ever left the GP for last. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

May seem dumb, but have you unpluged the Hero and plugged it back in? Give it 30 seconds.

Last edited:
"butbingug" ???
I believe it was "butbinug"

I assume it was 'unplug the Hero and plug it back in', (tried that, no joy).

Just tested, this didn't help either. Still just a black screen on the iPhone no matter what I do. So far I've:

Tried just about every combo of turning things on and off (if I remember my combinatorics, that would be 24 different permutations).
Powered off the iPhone completely (closing out the app before turning it off).
butbinug'ed the Hero and binug'ed it back in.

Just tested, this didn't help either. Still just a black screen on the iPhone no matter what I do. So far I've:

Tried just about every combo of turning things on and off (if I remember my combinatorics, that would be 24 different permutations).
And last but not least.. Uninstall the re-install the app..

Reactions: JOHN CUERVO

Well if nothing else, a new term has been coined... Butbinug.

On a more serious note, it's starting to look like a bad HDMI cable or some other hardware failure. Hopefully Jubair is correct and an uninstall / reinstall of the Solo app will fix it.

I had that problem this morning.... It took me a while to figure it out !
Until I looked at the cable from the solo going to the camera...You gotta make sure that little plug that is going into the camera is allllll the way in..!!!! It might look like it is.. But give it that extra push !!
That was my Problem!

Hope this helps!

After I was able to correct my live stream issue ..I was able to capture this great picture of the Niagara Gorge going to the falls where I live with my Solo..and then even got a sweet picture of the Niagara Falls with a Rainbow!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    792.9 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Until I looked at the cable from the solo going to the camera...You gotta make sure that little plug that is going into the camera is allllll the way in..!!!! It might look like it is.. But give it that extra push !!
That was my Problem!

Hope this helps!

After I was able to correct my live stream issue ..I was able to capture this great picture of the Niagara Gorge going to the falls where I live with my Solo..
Yeah, I had that issue when I first got my Solo as well. If you don't get the GoPro centered in the frame mount you may not get a good connection with the HDMI cable. I did double and triple check the HDMI connection, so that doesn't appear to be my issue. I'm going to go out and fly it for a few minutes and I'll see if reinstalling the app solves my issue.

Also as to the faulty HDMI cable in general, I am getting the video stream when I connect using my Android app, just not with the iOS app.

P.S. Fantastic photo!

Reactions: Del
Yeah, I had that issue when I first got my Solo as well. If you don't get the GoPro centered in the frame mount you may not get a good connection with the HDMI cable. I did double and triple check the HDMI connection, so that doesn't appear to be my issue. I'm going to go out and fly it for a few minutes and I'll see if reinstalling the app solves my issue.

Also as to the faulty HDMI cable in general, I am getting the video stream when I connect using my Android app, just not with the iOS app.

P.S. Fantastic photo!

I also heard following the 3 step start up sequence was very helpful solving livestream issues with the app!

1- Fist Solo
2- Controller
3- Then App

I wish you luck..I hope you resolve your issue.

Happy Flying

Reactions: Robosolo
That was my Problem!

Hope this helps!

After I was able to correct my live stream issue ..I was able to capture this great picture of the Niagara Gorge going to the falls where I live with my Solo..and then even got a sweet picture of the Niagara Falls with a Rainbow!
ROFL!! Look what I started..., Or rather what auto correct started... Nice guesses though :)

In any case, I have seen it where the plug feels like it is all the way in, and isn't. Push it in harder and it goes in another 32nd. Sometimes if the camera is to far forward, the plug catches on the GoPro mount. I have seen this several times on mine. I unplug it, and plug it back in, making sure it is seated, and several seconds later... Viola!

Reactions: Mark
Well, I've tried all suggestions and nothing's worked. I took it out this morning and couldn't get the live feed through the Android app now as well (neither on the Kindle Fire or my Galaxy S5). I'm beginning to suspect it's the HDMI cable itself. I know I had the cable fully seated in the GoPro, so I'm trying to see if it somehow came loose at the other end. Unfortunately it's plugged (binug'ed?) into the underside of the Solo motherboard and isn't readily accessible by taking out the battery tray. There is a cable tie maybe 1/3rd of the way from the plug at the motherboard holding it in place, so I wouldn't think that it could come loose. Since I don't want to fully disassemble it, I used a screwdriver in an attempt to fully seat the HDMI cable into the motherboard. Maybe I got one of those bad HDMI cables, but at this point I'm at a loss.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig