Live stream issues - Solved

How did you get a Kindle Fire to work w/ the Solo app? I have a Kindle Fire 7 & it doesnt run on Android or iOs. I would really like to use mine because of its size & aesthetics...Damn software though...

How did you get a Kindle Fire to work w/ the Solo app? I have a Kindle Fire 7 & it doesnt run on Android or iOs. I would really like to use mine because of its size & aesthetics...Damn software though...
Kindle fire is android powered but a custom version for Amazon

Posted this in another thread, so figured I'd post it here. Out of the box the video feed worked fine after initial software update per instructions. Then during 1st actual flight feed worked fine, then the live feed problem started. I have also seen the 'quick flash of video, then nothing' issue also when switching views on App. Anyway, after reading multiple threads on the subject I came up with a method that at least for me, works 100%. Here's my pre-flight:

On your app device, ensure WiFi is Off and the 3DR App is Not running to start. If it is, close App and Turn Off WiFi before powering up Solo or Controller.

1) power up Solo
2) power up Controller
3) wait till everything 'calms down', GPS lock, ready to fly...
4) turn on WiFi on my phone/tablet (android)
5) open app to 'Fly' screen
6) plug in GoPro to Solo, make sure the connector 'snaps' in place
7) power up GoPro
8) Hit the Fly button on the App, and have live feed everytime

Why this works I don't know, it just works for me.

Cheers
---

Ever since the last Solo software update my Hero 4 silver no longer works when plugged into the solo HDMI cable. As soon as I plug the cable in, the camera goes dead. It turns back on when I unplug it.
Have found no fix, so I sent a ticket to 3DR and am awaiting a response.

The first 3 weeks of flying i never had live feed. Then one day it worked for about 30 seconds and now it works every time. I have to do this order every time.

1. Gopro on
2. Solo
3. Controler
4. Connect to wifi
5. Start app after connected.

Any other order for me and the app will not show live feed. I also started to think cable was the issue. The new update yesterday helped with latency 10 fold. but im also running a GS3 and Gopro 3 silver. both are old and slow.

Reactions: Chip Luck
Ever since the last Solo software update my Hero 4 silver no longer works when plugged into the solo HDMI cable. As soon as I plug the cable in, the camera goes dead. It turns back on when I unplug it.
Have found no fix, so I sent a ticket to 3DR and am awaiting a response.

Dang man, sorry to hear that. I performed the update yesterday and kudo's to 3DR, Solo appears more stable in flight and GPS has improved. As far as your video feed, have you tried my method show in this thread. I still do it, but I swear is IS the connection at the GoPro from the USB cable.

However, yours shutting the GoPro off? That's a strange one. Let us know what 3DR says. Good luck!

Loving Solo, great stuff man!
Cheers.
---

The first 3 weeks of flying i never had live feed. Then one day it worked for about 30 seconds and now it works every time. I have to do this order every time.

1. Gopro on
2. Solo
3. Controler
4. Connect to wifi
5. Start app after connected.

Any other order for me and the app will not show live feed. I also started to think cable was the issue. The new update yesterday helped with latency 10 fold. but im also running a GS3 and Gopro 3 silver. both are old and slow.

I have the GoPro Silver also and now as of yesterday the upgrade, which IMHO is a great improvement. I will try your sequence and let you know.

Q: I assume GoPro is plugged into Solo cable in your step 1?

Cheers
----

@Mark my issue is with not getting any sound during the live playback of live feed.... Not to much of the issue but was wondering if that is normal.

My fix for no video feed is as follows. Go into iPhone or iPad settings and select 3DR Solo, then trigger photos on or off & I get video feed back. Doesn't seem to make a difference whether photos is on or off, just switching it solves problem for me

@Mark my issue is with not getting any sound during the live playback of live feed.... Not to much of the issue but was wondering if that is normal.
Norm-

Yes that's normal because you're actually recording just the live feed to your phone/tablet. You're not actually telling the GoPro to start recording (that functionality will come with the gimbal). In order to start recording (with sound sans gimbal), you'll need to manually hit the record button on the GoPro prior to takeoff.

Timothy-

As z3r01 said, the Kindle Fire just runs an Amazon branded Android OS. While there's no Google Play Store on there, you can find and download apps (.apk files) and side load them onto the Kindle. I won't go into details as there's plenty of tutorials online (google 'side load apps onto kindle fire'). You'll have to get your hands on the '3DR Solo' app as an APK and '3DR Services' as an APK as well.

Timothy-

As z3r01 said, the Kindle Fire just runs an Amazon branded Android OS. While there's no Google Play Store on there, you can find and download apps (.apk files) and side load them onto the Kindle. I won't go into details as there's plenty of tutorials online (google 'side load apps onto kindle fire'). You'll have to get your hands on the '3DR Solo' app as an APK and '3DR Services' as an APK as well.

Thanks for the heads up on that...Unfortunately right now the APK is still the older ver of the Solo app. But at least I can use Kindles bigger screen instead of my phone...wont have to switch over to answer calls either...thanks again

My fix for no video feed is as follows. Go into iPhone or iPad settings and select 3DR Solo, then trigger photos on or off & I get video feed back. Doesn't seem to make a difference whether photos is on or off, just switching it solves problem for me

That doesn't make sense to me at all. BUT, having tried everything else that others have posted here, it actually worked for me! Thanks much for posting.

I've noticed that when you set up your shots on the Android device to save to the device it glitches a lot

That doesn't make sense to me at all. BUT, having tried everything else that others have posted here, it actually worked for me! Thanks much for posting.
I believe that a lot of these problems could be a bug in the app. & not in the Solo or the GoPro. Maybe they will read this & release an update.

Reactions: Lance
I think you're right. I never had any problems connecting live view BEFORE I installed the updates for the Solo and GoPro apps. But immediately after the first time I tried to connect-- it just timed out.

I believe that a lot of these problems could be a bug in the app. & not in the Solo or the GoPro. Maybe they will read this & release an update.

Dang man, sorry to hear that. I performed the update yesterday and kudo's to 3DR, Solo appears more stable in flight and GPS has improved. As far as your video feed, have you tried my method show in this thread. I still do it, but I swear is IS the connection at the GoPro from the USB cable.

However, yours shutting the GoPro off? That's a strange one. Let us know what 3DR says. Good luck!

Loving Solo, great stuff man!
Cheers.
---
Chip,
3DR tech support has been very good helping with this. Here is the fix, which worked for me:
-Turn off Solo.
- Disconnect GoPro from Solo
- Turn off GoPro
- Power cycle IOS or Android device
- Change resolution on GoPro to 1080/60 medium
- Make sure NTSC is selected, Wi-Fi is OFF
- Connect GoPro to Solo
-Turn on Solo, GoPro, controller and app.
This worked for me BUT: GoPro cannot be set to Stop/start from app. I need to start Recording before take-off and stop after landing.
Tech support said this will be resolved by addition of gimbal.
That's good but what about folks who don't want to use a gimbal?
Maybe other folks aren't having this issue.

Reactions: Chip Luck
Yay Friday I mods the wifi cards

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 18
Chip,
3DR tech support has been very good helping with this. Here is the fix, which worked for me:
-Turn off Solo.
- Turn off GoPro
- Connect GoPro to Solo
This worked for me BUT: GoPro cannot be set to Stop/start from app. I need to start Recording before take-off and stop after landing.

Sort of what I do. Thank GOD 3DR has my credit card with a pending payment for the gimbal. Like I mentioned, the procedure I had stated before works every time. Of course the GoPo is always set to NTSC and Wi-Fi OFF. Resolution on the GoPro has never caused an issue for me, so I don't understand that part. What works for you = go for it!

Happy flying!
---

Chip,
-Turn off Solo.
- Turn off GoPro
- Connect GoPro to Solo

I'd also like the ability to stop/start the GoPro recording without the need for a gimbal. I'm using Android too.

Had a horrible time getting the GoPro Hero4 Silver to work a couple of days ago. Powered everything up, no live video. Discovered the camera had frozen. Rebooted the camera, no video, powered everything off, then on, no video. Rebooted the camera again, then video worked. By the time the GPS had locked, video was working, battery was already down to 80%. Got about 10 mins flight time. Wish this whole thing worked a little smoother. 3DR is almost there but I have to think that the GoPro camera is causing most of the problems here. I thought they were reliable but I've had them freeze up more than often lately with or without the solo connected.

Chip,
-Turn off Solo.
- Turn off GoPro
- Connect GoPro to Solo
It has never had the capability to start and stop recording in the app without the gimbal with Android. In IOS you can start and stop recording to the device but this does not start and stop the camera....again, without the gimbal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150